Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
DudesMama
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion

I'm a little behind in my reading... Just starting Crescendo & I'm loving it. I don't want to read too many comments because I need to get reading the book first. :-)

But I'll be back!

Frequent Contributor
All-Things-Stephen-King
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy said,

Glad your son is interested in "Hush,Hush "and "Crescendo"..Its a very gender friendly Series and Becca knows her audience ,,She weaves quite a story..Exposure is so important..He can post,through you..That would be Great..Or on his own..His thoughts are just as important as ours...Susan Vtc Love your BN Name..Are you a Haven Fan?

Hi Vermontcozy

Yes I agree, Becca does know her audience.  Patch has just enough of an edge to keep the interest of young boys which is saying alot considering he is reading Darren Shan's books right now.  This story is aimed at that time in a young adult's life where they are trying to get a grip on all that is going on in their lives.  (Most especially girls and the things they do.)  Crecendo has been a great book for him.  I have noticed that the characters have created strong feelings in my son.  

The comments I made earlier were based on things he had mentioned to me. The idea to have him post is a great idea.  Otherwise I will drag some other opinions out of him. lol :smileyvery-happy:

Yes my whole family watches Haven, well it is loosely based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Re: thoughts on Ch. 6 - 10

Sarah-W wrote:

Here's my question: if a bad angel can pretend to be Nora's dad... could a bad angel also appear in Nora's dream as Patch?

Ah Sarah, now you are just messing with my head.  I guess anything is possible.  But there does seem to be some kind of pecking order in the realm of angels.  But I will keep the thought in mind.

Bonnie

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Re: thoughts on Ch. 6 - 10

Bonnie_C wrote:

Sarah-W wrote:

Here's my question: if a bad angel can pretend to be Nora's dad... could a bad angel also appear in Nora's dream as Patch?

Ah Sarah, now you are just messing with my head.  I guess anything is possible.  But there does seem to be some kind of pecking order in the realm of angels.  But I will keep the thought in mind.

Bonnie

Sarah...now my mind is workign overtime too....what a great thought!

You are the author of your own life story.
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I think the characters are rather interesting how the evolved from Hush, Hush to Crescendo. Nora is annoying as everyone is saying and continues to be annoying. She was not like that in HH. Patch is now a guardian angel and can't fall in love with Nora as the archangels are watching him. He seems to hem and haw about whether he should be with Nora or not. He gives me the impression of instability. Vee has her own agenda as she has a boyfriend, Rixon, who is friends with Patch. In HH, she was always available for Nora, always driving her places, always by her side. Then we have Marcie, who is trying to be a sex kitten and is a thorn in Nora's side as Marcie is very interested in Patch. Scott is very creepy and dangerous as well. More of him will be revealed later. Nora's mother never is at home, claiming her job takes her away for several days, leaving Nora at night. More on her in the last few chapters. Rixon at least explained to Nora who Patch is and more of that will be revealed in the last chapters. The prologue really is the key to the book and Becca has done a wonderful job in getting the characters together for the ending.

Well said maxcat!

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Einstein3D wrote:

I was completely and utterly shocked when I read that Patch was known as the black hand - it makes me wonder if he isn't really "in love" with Nora but is with her because he killed her dad and he thinks it is fun to toy with her now?  What a shocker!

I was also a bit surprised at Nora being somewhat mean to Marcie as well - up to this point in the story, I thought Nora was a "bigger" person than that. Something to think about though.

I will definitely be reading Hush, Hush as soon as possible!

Einstein3D...I know it will make a difference,when you read HH..Its so entirely different,leading up to Crescendo,so you will be amazed at all the action...You will appreciate the Back,Back Story,,,Glad you are here discussing,though...Susan Vtc...

I am very curious how people feel about the series if they read backwards....it will give us all another perspective.  So that actually works out pretty great!

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I love the way Becca just gives me enough information to leave me wanting more. So I have to keep reading and turning the pages. Very hard book to read in sections. Becca did a great job in this book. Really looking forward to Tempest.

pen21....Did you finish Crescendo yet...when you do you will wish you had Tempest right at that moment!

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

I'm really interested in the ways people on the board have compared Crescendo to New Moon. One of the differences between the two books is that in New Moon Edward is faraway. Bella misses him, but he's not right there in her face flaunting his relationship with her worst enemy. 

In some ways I think this makes Crescendo the more realistic of the two books. Breaking up is hard to do at any age, but one of the rotten things about being a teenager is having to continue seeing that person day after day. I think Fitzpatrick captures this frustration really well. 

That is so true.  Nothing is worse than having to watch your love move on.  That is what really drives the teen girls over the edge.  I never want to be a teen again and thank goodness both my kids are boys!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mommybooknerd wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I love the way Becca just gives me enough information to leave me wanting more. So I have to keep reading and turning the pages. Very hard book to read in sections. Becca did a great job in this book. Really looking forward to Tempest.

pen21....Did you finish Crescendo yet...when you do you will wish you had Tempest right at that moment!

I finished Crescendo. Loved it. And yes I wish Tempest was sitting on my entable to start next. Becca writes a page turner.

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

So I'm being very selective on what comments I read right now just because I don't want even a hint of a spoiler. I'm keeping with the schedule so I'm up to chapter 16 right now.

Pretty shocking when she learned that Scott has that mark on his chest from the Black Hand's ring. Even more shocking was when she found out that the Black Hand is Patch, or at least that's the way it seems for the moment. Seems like poor Patch always gets blamed for everything. In Hush, Hush he was thought to be the one stalking Nora and that turned out to be Jules so I'm interested to see who is the culprit this time because I honestly don't think it's Patch. Still clinging on to bad boy Patch who you can see, when we actually do get to see him that is, that he still cares very much for Nora. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

I finished Crescendo yesterday. I really liked it! I just wish I already had Tempest.  Can't believe I have to wait another year :robotsad:

Contributor
Marcie77
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion 11-15

Nora was drugged in Ch.11, but by who? It looks as if Patch did it, but I doubt it.  I am so curious as to what's going on with Nora's dad.  Is it really him she has been seeing or someone else?  I think if I were Nora, I would start doubting my sanity. In ch. 12 Nora and Vee go to Marcie's party.  Nora seems glutton for punishment. Vee is a great friend for going with her. Patch wants to be with Nora but he can't. Nora is being a bit stubborn. Sometimes I want to smack them both. LOL.  In Ch.14 Nora gets a job. I was glad to see her try to do something besides cry over Patch. However when Marcie came into the restaurant and started taunting Nora, I wanted Nora to throw a drink in her face of something. However Nora, did the mature thing about the situation. Nora then goes to a beach party with Scott. I actually warmed up to Scott a little bit. Ch.14, Scott and Nora head back to his apt. with a bunch of other kids. Nora tries to take care of drunk Scott when she runs into Patch. Scott tries to get it on with Nora when Patch interrupts them. I was so glad about this. I so don't want Nora to be with Scott. Then we find out some info on the Black Hand. Scott is somehow involved with him. Ch. 15, Vee, Rixon and Nora head to the beach. Nora admits to taking Marcie's diary. Nora also gets some useful information out of Rixon on Patch. I think Nora's obsession with Patch and Marcie right now is going to get her in a whole lot of trouble.

Contributor
beadedchihuahua
0 Kudos

rmcdougall wrote:

Scott is creepy, but in a good way.  does that make any sense.  

Yeah, it totally makes sense to me. I think he is trying   to figure Nora out. I think he knows that she is not completely human and I would bet that he knows that she can here his thoughts. That's why he keeps coming around

Contributor
LoreleiLee
0 Kudos

enjoying the book sooo much!!! but pacing myself.. i just dont want it to end.. but how does it end.. ahhh not enough hours in the day to read :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal

Thank you for posting the article link with your comments.  I did find it interesting, and I have seen other studies similar.  Your opinions are valuable and respected.

It has sadly been my experience that some children, even young ones, benefit from reading certain sensitive material because of what has happened to them and thus, forced them to grow-up too quickly.  They cannot only read the words, but have personally experienced the same abuse, loneliness, abandonment, promiscuity, etc.  I wish I could say differently.  These children find relief and often validation in the characters (even though they are fictional) because they, themselves, have walked the same walk.  A lot of times (not always), the book/characters can leave these children with alternative solutions and a sense of hope that they are not alone.  The characters have made bad decisions and have gone on to change or have experienced horrendous abuse and survived to find life after that abuse (certainly not all books have happy endings...just as life does not). 

I am certainly not advocating throwing these children to the wind and allowing them access to any reading material available.  However, despite the studies, there are children that are mature enough to handle sensitive material because they have been forced to live with that exact sensitive material...that is their life.  The best case scenario would be to talk with these children about the content and allow them to ask questions, discussing and validating their feelings, fears, and hopes...thus, helping them to move on and/or understand the life they have not chosen, but have been forced to live. 

I have taught for 21 years now, and the children I teach today are not the children that I taught at the beginning of my career.  Yes, they are still children, but I cannot even begin to list all of the factors that make them so incredibly different.  I have students this year (13 and 14 year olds) who have tried to commit suicide, have watched a parent die due to overdose, have been completely abandoned by all family members, have been sexually abused by a father, and at 14, one who is a mother.  This is just a small list.  So, I guess that was the point I was trying to make in my post.  I wish the world was different, and I try to reach as many of these children as I can.  I think books help them when others cannot reach them.   

thewanderingjew wrote:

I suppose I am nothing, if not opinionated, so let me apologize first for expressing mine so strongly. Because I am of a different generation, I may be totally off base in my reaction. I may actually be totally out of touch, but I am happily that way, I suppose. Feel free to disagree with me.

I am a bit surprised by part of the answer below. Regardless of the maturity of the child or the experiences in his/her background, there is something to be said about appropriate and inappropriate subject matter in a book. I realize that a ten year old might be very able to read the words in a YA book recommended for an older child, but I can't believe he/she can internalize many of the concepts in a mature way. I also taught, but a hundred years ago, and the subject matter children and teens were exposed to then, was far different. The literature that they are exposed to has changed drastically. Oh, yes there were magazines like True Confessions around and Lady Chatterly's Lover and Lolita were read behind brown paper book covers, but we knew they were risque and they were in the minority. They weren't masquerading as the norm, as many of the books of today, often do.

The frontal lobe of the brain has not yet fully developed at age 10, nor will it until the early 20's. A child's rationale for making judgments is not always going to be rational and therefore exposing him/her to such concepts at such a young age seems inappropriate, at the very least, to me, and it seems irreponsible of the parent. Ask any librarian or bookseller and they will tell you that there are so many age appropriate books for 10 year olds you should exhaust those first.

I am hoping that I misunderstood and your friend's child is older than 10! American Girl Dolls are more like what they should enjoy at that tender age. You are doing something right.

This book was recommended for 13 and up. I did read it with an eye to recommending it for my granddaughter who is  younger, because some books do cross the road at various age levels. This book does not because of the sexual innuendos and violence. The concepts are difficult ones for a younger child to absorb without serious concerns.

This article, which concerns an experiment which used adults and teens, involves their interpretations or misinterpretations  of the same pictures and discusses the differences in the way they reacted to them. It may, in some way, also explain Nora's seemingly impetuous behavior.

It is only a small study but there are others that have also attempted to interpret teenage behavior which is often an enigma.

Zeal wrote:

AIRKNITTER wrote:

Does anyone know what is the "age-appropriate" for this series?

Thanks.

The age range of YA novels can vary greatly. I tend to gage the reading appropriateness by the maturity of the individual child.  Background, experiences, even birth order can play a part in the maturity of a child.  Some develop earlier than others, both physically and emotionally.  I teach 8th graders.  Some of my students could definitely handle Crescendo and really enjoy it, others would NOT be ready for the more mature scenes.  My friend and I have a daughter the same age (10).  My daughter is the oldest and still enjoys playing with American Girl Dolls and reading books that deal with pets, friends, etc.  On the other hand, my friend's daughter is the youngest with two older brothers and has read the whole Twilight Series (and was mature enough to handle it).  I think you need to use your best judgment and have open conversations with the child as they read.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Ch. 11 - 15

I keep wondering why Nora is left alone so much. I know her mother works, but really, this is crazy. Nora's choices, once based on a little rational thought, now seem to be spur of the moment ideas. She is in a lot of danger and isn't doing much to keep out of the way. I feel for her heart break. I know she is hurting and wants to have the hurt go away. But, her late hours and the company she is keeping....

The scene in the library was filled with danger and was riveting. I want to know who sent the card, and am hoping it wasn't Patch; hoping I'm not wrong about him. He is not the one I think is behind this because I still think he is watching over her. Could it be Scott? Could it be Rixon? Or is there someone else? I think there will be more scenes like this, more situations she doesn't intentionally step into that are meant to cause her harm. I sure wish her mother would come home!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Okay I am a little behind.  This is the First FL I have done where the reading is daily and not weekley so I read the schedule wrong.  Anyway, I will be caught up by tomorrow or Friday depending on how much homework the kiddos have.

I loved the prologue, it is a great way to snag you in.  Marcie - can we say cruel.  I can't believe she is so mean.  I guess she is the mean girl in the school, every school has one.  Nora seeing Marcie's dad in her dreams was creepy.  I wonder what all that is about?

Nora/Patch - I was surprised she broke up with him.  When I was first reading it I kind of thought she might have broke up with Patch to prevent them both pain because she didn't see, in the long run, how they could be together.  But, as she kept talking I kind of wanted to knock her upside her head and then for her to continue to pine for Patch and wonder over and over why he hadn't called, a little annoying.  Especially considering it was all because he wouldn't tell her what was going on with Marcie.  Patch is a guardian angel, I guess Nora never thought that there are just some things he can't tell her.  Also, when Nora thought she saw her dad my heart stopped because I know how she was probably feeling.  My dad passed away a year ago this Friday and I could just imagine being able to see him again.  It made me feel sorry for her and everything she has been through.  I guess Nora is right in one aspect, why would Patch start a relationship with her when he knew he would be under the radar of the archangels?  Why go down that road, he had to have known that they both would be hurt, especially Nora.  What we do for love!!  At the end of Chapter 5 though, I do think she is being very childish in her and Patch's congritation outside of Z.

Scott - what is up with Scott, can we say a little mysterious.  I wonder if it is in a good way or a bad one? 

Awesome so far!! 

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
alie
0 Kudos

Re: Ch. 11 - 15

I can't believe that Nora got drugged, or at least had all those images forced into her head.  It really reminded me of when Jules was putting images in her head...  Nora and Vee stealing the diary from Marcies bedroom was so funny!  Of course there would be a dog, Loved Nora going out the window.  I still don't like Scott, even though there is more to his story than what we know at this point. Not sure if I believe his story about "the black hand".  I am still reeling about patch's old nickname...

Love ya
~Stacy~
Contributor
julz_b
0 Kudos

i loved the book! read it in no time. this was my first sneak peak, and didn't know where to go for the discussions :-( at any rate, i loved the book and may have to read it again. can't wait for another book to be published...

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Great summaries! I'm especially impressed with how much you reveal without spoiling the surprises for people who haven't gotten very far in the book.