Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
Kristin_Z
0 Kudos

Crescendo Discussion

Hi, all! 

This is the thread where the Crescendo discussion will take place! Hope you're all enjoying the book so far! :smileyhappy:

-Kristin 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Crescendo Discussion

Kristin_Z wrote:

Hi, all! 

This is the thread where the Crescendo discussion will take place! Hope you're all enjoying the book so far! :smileyhappy:

-Kristin 

I LOVE IT, I can hardly make myself stop at the scheduled place, but I'm being a good girl so far. (only because I have so much else to read right now)

Contributor
JHabeck
0 Kudos

Loving it as well. Took everything I had to put it down to keep with the schedule. But so far I'm being good.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
~Paul Sweeney
Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

I must admit I have passed the 5th chapter, but I'll be careful not to post spoilers. I'm going to go back thru chapters 1-5, and post later. Happy Reading Everyone!

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I am loving Crescendo!

I will admit I wasn't a fan of the prologue, hard for me to be sucked in. And Nora's attitude is driving me crazy in the first chapters!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Contributor
JHabeck
0 Kudos

I agree, the prolouge didn't really draw me in. I had that same feeling with the prolouge in hush hush too. And Nora has got to get over this attitude with Patch. Just tell him how you feel already! And at the end of ch. 5 when she told him she wanted him out of her life entirely, that one even hurt me.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
~Paul Sweeney
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Does anyone know what is the "age-appropriate" for this series?

Thanks.

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Contributor
melNaac
0 Kudos

A very engaging story! I too have surpassed chapter 5 and have finished reading the book; one of the few pros to being sick in bed. I got to read and rest! And Yes, I agree that Nora needs to open her eyes and see what is right in front of her, and stop being so stubborn. haha. Also, this Scott guy... very leery?

Suggestion: For those who have finished the book, go back and re-read the prologue. It will make more sense and have more meaning.

Contributor
Forbidden_Love
0 Kudos

I completely agree with the end of Chapter 5.....I was sitting there thinking "What are you doing?!"  It was heart wrenching.  She knows she shouldn't say it but she's hurt and wants to get a reaction out of him...any reaction to prove he loves her as more than her guardian angel.  That is so true to real life, especially teenagers.  They want the drama, need to feel like they're alive, wanted, etc. 

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader

I couldnt believe the direction the book was going in... I mean after every thing that happend in Hush Hush, how could she think he didnt love her? even if he doesnt say it? so yeah I pretty much wanted to smack Nora upside the head a few times.

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze
0 Kudos

I finished the book and cannot wait for it to be released so I can discuss everything! The book really exceeded my expectations, I'm excited to see what everyone else thought.

Contributor
Marcie77
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying this book so far. 

Frequent Contributor
Luv2Read10
0 Kudos

I did not read Hush, Hush so I don't know how much of the story I missed. The first few chapters were kind of not making much sense to me. Do you have to read the first one to really understand this one?

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Britariel

Search here to win swagbucks to purchase Barnes and Noble giftcards.
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd

I love this series, but I don't really like the neediness of Nora.  Could it be sending a bad example to other girls.  She is teenager and they think only about right now, but she lives for Patch, that is a scary place for young girls to find themselves. I also like the dueling with Marcie...can you even be a high school girl without a rival????  I also like the stuff about her dreams.  It is a great way to go back in the past without shifting the flow of the story.  I have to admit, I am hooked on this series and read both HUSH HUSH and CRESCENDO in 2 days each and cannot wait for the 3rd!

Em

You are the author of your own life story.
Inspired Contributor
kristyn711

My intial thoughts by chapter:

Chapter 1:  I felt annoyed with Nora, as she was very quick to assume that Patch didn't really see/hear anything and was just trying to avoid what she told him.  They had just finished having a really intense conversation where he said Nora had him forever and that she was his, exchanged tokens of their affection, etc. and then she freaks out.  I realize girls do this, but I was hoping it wouldn't go south so quickly.  I also am annoyed with Marcie.  She really didn't have any reason for being at the beach, and I feel like she was put there just to make Nora freak out.  While I get that books need to have a conflict, her being there didn't make sense to me other then to cause a problem for Patch/Nora.

Chapter 2:  While I think Becca did a great job with the emotions of the "break-up" I still don't get it.  I understand her being really frustrated that Patch wasn't telling her the whole truth, but knowing his character, when did he ever?  Part of what drove her wild about him was that side of mystery that he had.  He was dangerous.  He was dark.  She knows that.  On the otherhand, I was annoyed that he couldn't just explain what he was doing there.  He knew that Marcie was a touchy subject, and that seemed to be pretty low, even for him (when just looking at this chapter).

Chapter 3:  Scott really creeped me out when I read this.  I couldn't get over how he was talking to his mother.  Those would have been major red flags in my book.  I was glad when Nora's mom also saw them and wasn't insistent on Nora riding with him. 

Chapter 4:  Becca writes really good flashbacks, but I admit sometimes I have to re-read them once I really get what was going on.  In this one, I understood what was happening, but once I knew who was in the flashback, went back to understand it a little bit more.  I also think Nora jumped pretty quickly to understanding Scott was a Nephilim.  Maybe it was just me, but that seemed to happen in her brain in the blink of an eye. 

Chapter 5:  This was a tough chapter.  On one hand, I wanted to smack Nora for calling Scott and then telling Patch that she didn't want him to be her guardian angel anymore.  On the other hand, I wanted to smack Patch for picking a fight rather then making amends.  Telling her "she broke things off" and that "she should stop hanging out with Scott" only would make her angrier.  I still felt at this point he loved her, and rather then play the "poor me" character, I wanted him to be strong and have him convince her he wanted her back.

I realize this all sounds negative, when in fact, I really did like the first 5 chapters.  I feel like she did a good job for setting up the book, because all of the negative feelings I had made me want to continue reading to make Patch and Nora were going to make it through all of this mess (because, let's face it, I really, really, really want there to be a happy ending for them - and I normally am ok with not-happy endings).

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Inspired Contributor
kristyn711

And sorry about the length of the last post.  I meant to type a paragraph, and it kept getting longer and longer!!!

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Contributor
Forbidden_Love
0 Kudos

Totally agree with kristyn.  I also thought during the whole dinner with Scott and his mother, Nora jumped rather quickly to assuming Scott was Nephilim.  Like all of the sudden they are everywhere or something.   I thought this introduction seemed rushed, when it could have unfolded much slower. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Loved opening" Crescendo "and reading The Prologue..That answered one question,.not entirely,of course,and then moving on.I loved the Pace,introduction of new Characters....And Vee dating Rixon...That was a surprise..Will wait until discussion,but Becca is such a wonderful writer,we are always on the edge..I love that...Susan .Today are Chapters1-5 so I will keep that in mind "No Spoilers" Ever I promise...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
CrabbyCat
0 Kudos

My complete lack of willpower led me to finish the entire book in 2 days.  I'm gonna have to review the chapters so I don't give away any spoilers.

There were times when I could have smacked Nora...I feel like she was jumping to conclusions pretty quickly regarding Patch's reaction to her saying "I love you."  At the end of chapter 5, when she told Patch that she didn't want him to be her guardian angel anymore, all I could think was "What are you doing?"!  It nearly killed me when Patch told her, "Take it back."  Throughout this entire book, that was the part that stuck with me the most. 

the rocket summer 2 Pictures, Images and Photos
Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

Luv2Read

yes it would be better if you read Hush Hush first. Crescendo is the sequel so its following the events that happened in the first book.