Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Book-Worm
0 Kudos

Dark Books (Addiction Fiction, etc.)

[ Edited ]
Alright, so recently I've been reading some darker books (Go Ask Alice, Crank, Glass, etc.) about drug addiction, sex, and other "bad teen behavior". I think they were amazing, but I was just wondering others' views on books of this sort. Thanks!

Message Edited by MattW on 03-03-2008 09:43 AM
The Biggest Book-Worm,
Abby
Contributor
Chibi-Cat
0 Kudos

Re: Dark Books (Addiction Fiction, etc.)

[ Edited ]
I read some "dark" teen books not because I enjoy the situations , but I love how the characters manage to fight their way through their problems.

Message Edited by Chibi-Cat on 03-23-2008 12:41 PM
~Reality is for people with no imagination~
Contributor
Rbkh0
0 Kudos

I used to read these books often. I liked them because it was fun to experience something through reading without having to actually experience it in reality. Of these types of books that I've read, my favorite was Go Ask Alice.
Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

Depends on the novel (Gossip Girl deals with drugs, booze, sex, etc., as well as some other glitz series).
I haven't read "darker" dark books yet.

Frequent Contributor
xDreamerx
0 Kudos

I havent read glas sor crank but i did read go ask alice. I really enjoyed this book because it gave you a diffrent view of how people with drug addictions are taken over. I like these books because they show you diffrent sides of life.
A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: Hey how old are you? What have you been doing? How old are you? What is your favorite books?
~ Jamisha R.
Frequent Contributor
cutelittlebookworm
0 Kudos

i liked the book candy, its a teen novel about the dark side of prostitution. dark books are super good casue you can feel like your experienceing the issuses so you don't really have to.