Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kel_see_4
0 Kudos

Do you judge a book by its cover??????

I just wanted to know how many buy a book because of the cover.

most of the book I own, I picked because of the cover (and yes if I could preview them on b&n I did)

to me the cover says it all.

What do u think

Frequent Contributor
korts

Re: Do you judge a book by its cover??????

i do get books based on the cover.  it says a lot i think. sometimes i pick bad books though which is lame but i love the way the covers are.  its the first thing you see its what invites you to read the back of the book.  well thats what i think

Frequent Contributor
Fabulous_Ali
0 Kudos

I guess I look at the cover and the title and if it sounds and looks good I start to read it {I'm always able to read it because I buy the books at the store, not online like you.} and if it grabs my interest for long enough then I get it.

my name was alison dilaurentis before they even announced pretty little liars would be a tv show *flips hair*
Frequent Contributor
korts
0 Kudos

do you start reading the book in the store?

Frequent Contributor
Fabulous_Ali
0 Kudos

I'll just pull it out and read a few pages

my name was alison dilaurentis before they even announced pretty little liars would be a tv show *flips hair*
Frequent Contributor
korts
0 Kudos

thats cool i have never done that but like i want to because maybe i wouldn't buy such random books that i know nothing about and end up not reading it.

Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

Yeah I judge sometimes. Usually the way the cover looks draws me toward the book and the title makes me want to read more into it. Sometimes the books aren't always good, but it works out pretty well for the most part.

Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

Sometimes I do and other times I don't. Like if it's like the second or third book in the series I really don't care what the cover is so me it matters what's inside (ah! wow that was cheesy), but if it's a first book in a series for me or a brand new book than yeah the cover has to be a little good to me to caught my eyes. haha gosh I am writting cheesy words today xD

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

Yes! This just happened to me. I bought a book where the title sounded familar but I couldn't remember ever seeing the book before so I read the back and it sounded really good. It wasn't until I got home that I realized what book it was and how I wouldn't even look at it before. Also, sometimes if there is the same book but different covers sitting side by side, I tend to go for the cover that appeals to me most (despite the price). Maybe the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" only applies to evrything other than books lol

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Scribe
redheart52

The cover of a book makes me intrested in it. If its bland then i won't read the back description. If it looks cool then i will read the back and judge for myself based on both the cover and the description. I never read a book that doesn't have a description of the book on it.

Correspondent
iluvhersheys_andbooks
0 Kudos

I admit, Ii judge a lot bu the cover of a book. I remember when I was at the bookstore and I saw the cover of I am the Messenger, it was so boring that I didnt pick it up until 4 months later, and its now one of my favorites. If the book is good, shouldnt the cover match. I actually just did a post on my blog about the different cover versions of Vampire Kisses, check it out if you want. Link: http://blackandblueink.blogspot.com/2010/02/cover-wars-1.html

www.blackandblueink.blogspot.com ------- Funnest Place on Earth...well to me!!!
Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

If I am browsing in a bookstore or scrolling through books on line then yes the cover has to draw me in. otherwise I would never cilck/pick up the book. but if I am reading through other people's ideas of what to read I will look into the book even if I dont like the cover. (if any of that makes sense) but I always read what the book is about before I make any purchases, I dont want to get home and start reading a book I have absolutely no intrest in.

New User
ChristineXFairytale
0 Kudos

I dont judge a book by it's cover, but I do read pages of the book inside the store to make sure that I will like it.

Correspondent
Book_Girl14
0 Kudos

I am sorry to say yes, I do. I don't know if I only read books with great covers so I think yes this book is great. Or if good books have good covers... LOL. :smileyhappy: 

Contributor
poise_and_poison
0 Kudos

I am guilty of doing this. I have been known to pick up books because of their covers; when comparing books I often go with the better covered book if I can only choose one. But I am not one to turn down a book with good reviews. I am even guilty of passing on a book only to get the same book only with a different cover. Does anyone else do that?

Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover
0 Kudos

I do and I don't. If I see a cool cover or a catchy title I am definitely drawn more to the book, but I always read the inside cover or back or whatever and if it sounds good I will give it a try. I try not to impulse buy. :/ 

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

ok so if im at a bookstore then i cruise the books and if i see a vover i like then i look at the blurb..or sometimes i look at a title. but if its an author i like i dont really care about the covers...

and usually if its a book i really really want, ill read some of it in the store.

like a week or two a go i wnet to store and found going bovine-i read the first chapter or two and busted up laughin the entire time-im sure the workers thought i was insane!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
luvbooksejm
0 Kudos

Well I am an art person already so the cover art usually has to catch my eye for me to look and see what the book is about. I do have a tendency to walk right past (I am sure wonderful books) because their covers are not something I particularly like. 

Correspondent
b00kwerm

i completely agree LexieVamp... the cover is what makes me pick up the book.

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

I will check the back of a book thats cover appeals to me, but i base my decision on the book by the synopsis. Other ways i will just look to see who the author is, or if it has an interesting title.

but the cover it really the first thing that draws me to a book(:

----------------------------------------------