Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Contributor
Outlaws-Girl
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎03-14-2009

Don't like Twilight

I have to admit it but I have read Twilight twice and seen the movie twice and I forced myself to finish the book and I thought the movie was better than the book.  I know all anyone talks about on here is Twilight and how great it is but that really bugs me because I dont like it!  My favorite book is The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen and all her other books.  I love romantic love stories but not Twilight.  I guess it is because it seems SO unrealistic because he is a vampire and there is no such thing as them.  OK now everyone is going to say there is vampires so let the games begin. 
Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
Posts: 103
Registered: ‎06-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

Nobody said you had to like Twilight. I myself liked it, but I personally hate the movie with a passion. And, if you like liked it more, well, thats okay. I think a lot of people are getting sick of it because of all of the type...

Correspondent
Notjustphysical
Posts: 284
Registered: ‎09-08-2009

Re: Don't like Twilight

Honestly i didnt really like twilight either i forced myself to consider the movie okay but i cant its just to prdictable we need somthing new a few twist i mean COME ON! you can practically tell the story yourself its to simple and in the first movie can i get a little ACTION! i mean there fight lasted what less than 30 sec. whatever its like cinderella but vampire form we need more excitement in it like Harry Potter.

~Love is a poison~
Contributor
ceferina
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎03-30-2007

Re: Don't like Twilight

Okay, let me give you a different angle to chew on. The first time I read Twilight, I had a twofold reaction to it--that as a story, it was fairly repetitive and annoying (if I had to read ONE MORE TIME about Edward's perfect ANYTHING...), but that as a woman, I really responded to it emotionally, having been through that rush of first passion as a teenager myself. I had much the same reaction to the second book, New Moon--annoyed by the infinite references to the jagged hole in the middle of her blah blah blah, but as a woman, I've been there and felt that. From a plot standpoint I felt that the third book was stronger, although I was and continue to be impressed by how obtuse these people are when it comes to putting clues together, and the fourth book was fascinating in the description of Bella's new life, motherhood (which again, I relate to) and of course, the final conflict and resolution. I came away from the final book really wondering what happens next, more than in any of the others.

 

For this reason, I read the series again, and now that I knew what to expect in terms of the things that annoyed me, I also discovered some pleasant surprises--intertextuality, for example, on a more sophisticated level than I at first appreciated--and hearing the story from multiple points of view. This last doesn't just refer to Jacob's intervention in New Moon, of course, which is obvious and I'm not sure how effective, but rather to the few times when we get to see things from Edward's point of view. This is compelling because of his otherness. In many ways, Bella's reactions and feelings mirror what we experience in daily life, but Edward and his family provide a fascinating outside glimpse of that experience that is frankly refreshing after Bella's sometimes tiresome emotional browbeating.

 

Stephenie Meyer's best moments are subtle and accidental; when she tries to do some of these things or brings them to the forefront it's often not as successful as when the moments shine through and tell themselves. Try reading the next book with an eye for these hidden moments and let me know if you like it better. There's definitely something there to appreciate, if you're willing to really dig in.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
Posts: 1,258
Registered: ‎01-23-2010

Re: Don't like Twilight

[ Edited ]

Let me start by saying I hate the Twilight saga. I did like it at one point but now UGH! It has become way to popular and after I think about it I have no idea why I liked it so much. I mean the romance makes no sense and I can't relate to it what so ever. I have seen both movies and hated them both. I mean okay so Edward leaves and now she is sad but she doesn't have to scream about it at night or sit at a window and do nothing. I mean come on get up do something.

 

Then the wolves come in and I'm like are you serious. Yeah just make the problem 10 times worse and everything will be okay =D! No that's not what happened because sooner of later Bella finds out Jacob has become a wolf and it's all down hill from there. Then she starts seeing Edward and then JUMPS OFF A CLIFF SO SHE COULD JUST SEE HIM AGAIN???? I was who wha wha???

 

Yeah risk your life for a guy that left you become he is to scared something bad will happen to you but something did happen to you or almost did if it weren't for Jacob. Then the bad vamps come in??? Making the problem worse is so much fun =D! O and to top that Edward is going to go kill himself =D WEEEEEHEEEEE! Then Bella saves him and everything is still not okay O but to top that he asks her to marry her???? Yes plz marry me Bella I mean I might have left and her you and because I left you jumped off a cliff, but I still love you so plz marry me???? WHA? WHA? WHA?  To me I just didn't like it and it didn't make sense and ugh way to much drama. I mean I like drama in books but make the drama make sense just a little. Twilight saga is very disappointing.


Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Cr8zy4bks
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

When the whole "Twilight faze" passed through my school, I started the series but was horrified when I realized the projection and mockery of single females. When Bella was single in the beginning of Twilight she was normal, but after having a vampire boyfriend, suddenly "SINGLE" wasn't a word she could deal with. It disgusted me how she fell apart after Edward (by the way Robert Patterson SUCKS) left her/EVERYONE ELSE IN THE TOWN WITH HIS FAMILY (Carlisle was a DOCTOR for pete's sake) and USED Jacob as her male support because it proved that she could not exist knowing that there was no future with her ex-vampire boyfriend/love-of-her-life. I love romantic/fiction/adventures but this was just cheesy. The only enjoyable parts was when the story turned to the actual fighting going on with Victoria and such. Even now, the publicity for the series is not about the plot of the story, no, it's about the hot guy shirtless posing as a werewolf vs.. The pale British dude baring fake fangs.

 

For Twilight lovers, I am not saying that ur stupid for liking the book, I'm just saying that this is my view on things and re-reading it (though I have) did not change my review on this book.

"He who lends a book is an idiot. He who returns the book is more of an idiot."

--Arabic Proverb


Frequent Contributor
Serenity_
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎01-12-2010

Re: Don't like Twilight

 


LexieVamp wrote:

Let me start by saying I hate the Twilight saga. I did like it at one point but now UGH! It has become way to popular and after I think about it I have no idea why I liked it so much.


 

 

I have heard alot of people say this, and i personal find it silly.  A boy i knew loved the series and then just didn't like it because everyone else he knew had gotten into it and because of this he stopped reading it.  When i asked him why he responeded by saying he didn't like being part of a fad.  That makes no sense to me. In my mind it shouldn't make a difference if the book becomes popular or not.

 

This is one of my favorite books because i can sympathize so well with Bella.  I know what its like to fall in love and get dumped.  To have a boyfriend and best friend who don't like each other.  So, i hope that you reread the series again in a few years.  Maybe you'll be able to see it from a different point of view

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting."
-Justice Brandeis
Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
Posts: 447
Registered: ‎05-08-2009

Re: Don't like Twilight

I completely agree with you! how can you just stop liking something just because someone else started liking it? you are basing your entire decision on someone else... if you like it then it shouldn't matter whether it is 'popular' or no ones heard of it. I love the Twilight Saga, and while when I read it, it became my favorite book, I have since read other books that have topped my list of favs but I still love Twilight...

Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover
Posts: 119
Registered: ‎06-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

I agree with Lexie.  I read the books for the first time the summer breaking dawn came out and i liked them then, but after the movie was announced and there was so much hype i began to hate it. the movies honestly suck. i mean books made into movies are usually disappointing but i swear this is the worst adaption i have ever seen. i hype now isnt even about the story, it is all about the actors and how great of a body they have. most people can't even detach them from the character. i can not relate to any of the characters in the books either. bella makes me sick. she can't live her life unless there is some big strong guy there to lead her around and make he life interesting. stephenie meyer makes it seem like it is okay to sulk around unless you have a boyfriend. it is pathetic. i could go on for hours about this, but i will stop now, haha. 

New User
LoveAll
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎02-26-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

i honestly hate the books they sucked i cant even put it in to words it makes me so mad. if you want a good read with twists and turns and surpris endings try The Hunger games now i loved that book all of it was so.......idk suspenseful, andf unpredictable it was so excitng. I suck at writing about books becase they make me spechless to the point that i cant even think strait. ergh!!!! i fell like screaming when im done with a good read that i want to cry but i usally do. i know i sound stupid but its true.:smileysad:  

Frequent Contributor
Serenity_
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

 


KaylaNicole_MusicLover wrote:

I agree with Lexie.  I read the books for the first time the summer breaking dawn came out and i liked them then, but after the movie was announced and there was so much hype i began to hate it. the movies honestly suck. i mean books made into movies are usually disappointing but i swear this is the worst adaption i have ever seen. i hype now isnt even about the story, it is all about the actors and how great of a body they have. most people can't even detach them from the character. i can not relate to any of the characters in the books either. bella makes me sick. she can't live her life unless there is some big strong guy there to lead her around and make he life interesting. stephenie meyer makes it seem like it is okay to sulk around unless you have a boyfriend. it is pathetic. i could go on for hours about this, but i will stop now, haha. 


 

I guess i just don't understand how popularity made you hate the book because the book didn't change.  I understand someone not like the book because they can't relate to the characters in the book.  I don't think stephenie meyers was saying it was ok to sulk around if you didn't have a boyfriend, she was describing how it feels to have your heartbroken, and she does a very good job in my opinion. The worst book to movie was Eragon. I agree with you about the body stuff in the movie i went to the midnight primer of New Moon and every time Jacob took off his shirt the little girls just screamed it was ridiculous. 

 

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting."
-Justice Brandeis
Inspired Scribe
djaq
Posts: 1,080
Registered: ‎02-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight


Serenity_ wrote:

 


KaylaNicole_MusicLover wrote:

I agree with Lexie.  I read the books for the first time the summer breaking dawn came out and i liked them then, but after the movie was announced and there was so much hype i began to hate it. the movies honestly suck. i mean books made into movies are usually disappointing but i swear this is the worst adaption i have ever seen. i hype now isnt even about the story, it is all about the actors and how great of a body they have. most people can't even detach them from the character. i can not relate to any of the characters in the books either. bella makes me sick. she can't live her life unless there is some big strong guy there to lead her around and make he life interesting. stephenie meyer makes it seem like it is okay to sulk around unless you have a boyfriend. it is pathetic. i could go on for hours about this, but i will stop now, haha. 


 

I guess i just don't understand how popularity made you hate the book because the book didn't change.  I understand someone not like the book because they can't relate to the characters in the book.  I don't think stephenie meyers was saying it was ok to sulk around if you didn't have a boyfriend, she was describing how it feels to have your heartbroken, and she does a very good job in my opinion. The worst book to movie was Eragon. I agree with you about the body stuff in the movie i went to the midnight primer of New Moon and every time Jacob took off his shirt the little girls just screamed it was ridiculous. 

 


 

I agree with what you said, Serenity_ , about popularity not changing the book. And on one hand, it shouldn't be bad that a book becomes popular. Just because more people like a certain book doesn't change the story or writing at all. But with Twilight, I think it's a little bit different. Sorta. When people start to take Twilight too seriously, it turns most people off. So, I think that when people say that they are "turned off by the popularity of the book", its sorta like they got sick of screaming twilight fans professing their undying love to Jacob halfway through the movie. I also agree with both Kayla and LexiVamp. Personally, I didn't find the books original or even good for that matter. But I guess I wasn't looking too deeply for any hidden meaning to Meyer's words.

 

Serenity_ : The Eragon movie was a terrible translation of the book! :smileysad:  But thats a whole different topic that I don't want to get into at the moment.. lol 


************************************
"We could do pizza."
************************************
Frequent Contributor
Serenity_
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

 

 

I agree with what you said, Serenity_ , about popularity not changing the book. And on one hand, it shouldn't be bad that a book becomes popular. Just because more people like a certain book doesn't change the story or writing at all. But with Twilight, I think it's a little bit different. Sorta. When people start to take Twilight too seriously, it turns most people off. So, I think that when people say that they are "turned off by the popularity of the book", its sorta like they got sick of screaming twilight fans professing their undying love to Jacob halfway through the movie. I also agree with both Kayla and LexiVamp. Personally, I didn't find the books original or even good for that matter. But I guess I wasn't looking too deeply for any hidden meaning to Meyer's words.

 

Serenity_ : The Eragon movie was a terrible translation of the book! :smileysad:  But thats a whole different topic that I don't want to get into at the moment.. lol 


I understand when you say being turned off by the people who are talking the Twilight stuff to seriously, but there is always going to be people who take something too seriously.  So, I think the reason people get turned off is not because of the popularity, but because they don't want to be associated with the crazy Twilight fans. However, I could be wrong.
djaq: Glad you agreed with me on the Eragon Movie, i have found some who said it was good.

 

 

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting."
-Justice Brandeis
Contributor
Jaguar47
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎01-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

I've read the first two books and seen the movies. I might (someday) read the last two but I'm not in any rush. They weren't that good and I hated how pathetic Bella was when there wasn't a boyfriend there for her. The best part was when the wolves were in the story (because I like wolves) but there could have been more action! It was boring with all the cheezy romance and I don't get why the books are so popular!

ALN
Wordsmith
ALN
Posts: 219
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

My sister read all four books and told me all about them. So I never felt the need to read them. I have seen the first movie, but not the second. I don't plan on seeing it till it comes on DVD and maybe not even then. I liked the movie okay, I just didn't see the reason behind why so many people are obsessed with it.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Frequent Contributor
Serenity_
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

 


Jaguar47 wrote:

I've read the first two books and seen the movies. I might (someday) read the last two but I'm not in any rush. They weren't that good and I hated how pathetic Bella was when there wasn't a boyfriend there for her. The best part was when the wolves were in the story (because I like wolves) but there could have been more action! It was boring with all the cheezy romance and I don't get why the books are so popular!


 

The next two books are much better then New Moon.  Bella is not acting "pathetic" because she no longer has a boyfriend, but because she has lost seven members of her family. 

 

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting."
-Justice Brandeis
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
Posts: 1,258
Registered: ‎01-23-2010

Re: Don't like Twilight


djaq wrote:

Serenity_ wrote:

 


KaylaNicole_MusicLover wrote:

I agree with Lexie.  I read the books for the first time the summer breaking dawn came out and i liked them then, but after the movie was announced and there was so much hype i began to hate it. the movies honestly suck. i mean books made into movies are usually disappointing but i swear this is the worst adaption i have ever seen. i hype now isnt even about the story, it is all about the actors and how great of a body they have. most people can't even detach them from the character. i can not relate to any of the characters in the books either. bella makes me sick. she can't live her life unless there is some big strong guy there to lead her around and make he life interesting. stephenie meyer makes it seem like it is okay to sulk around unless you have a boyfriend. it is pathetic. i could go on for hours about this, but i will stop now, haha. 


 

I guess i just don't understand how popularity made you hate the book because the book didn't change.  I understand someone not like the book because they can't relate to the characters in the book.  I don't think stephenie meyers was saying it was ok to sulk around if you didn't have a boyfriend, she was describing how it feels to have your heartbroken, and she does a very good job in my opinion. The worst book to movie was Eragon. I agree with you about the body stuff in the movie i went to the midnight primer of New Moon and every time Jacob took off his shirt the little girls just screamed it was ridiculous. 

 


 

I agree with what you said, Serenity_ , about popularity not changing the book. And on one hand, it shouldn't be bad that a book becomes popular. Just because more people like a certain book doesn't change the story or writing at all. But with Twilight, I think it's a little bit different. Sorta. When people start to take Twilight too seriously, it turns most people off. So, I think that when people say that they are "turned off by the popularity of the book", its sorta like they got sick of screaming twilight fans professing their undying love to Jacob halfway through the movie. I also agree with both Kayla and LexiVamp. Personally, I didn't find the books original or even good for that matter. But I guess I wasn't looking too deeply for any hidden meaning to Meyer's words.

 

Serenity_ : The Eragon movie was a terrible translation of the book! :smileysad:  But thats a whole different topic that I don't want to get into at the moment.. lol 


 

In some parts I do agree with djad and others of course I don't. Yeah and maybe I just didnt look to close into the books and yeah maybe I havent had break ups like that and I'm not sure I want to if I have to go throw something like that (sounds horrible). I just don't understand why Bella would take Edward back after he left her. I mean yes he left because he thought it would keep her safe (it so didnt), but I don't see Bella understanding that when he left and when he came back still but she still took him back??? Someone help me here because this is just to plain confusing for me. Why would you take someone back when they left you and made you feel like that???


Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
Posts: 1,067
Registered: ‎06-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

Well maybe because if she were in Edward's shoes or the suituation was switched she'd want him to take her back.

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Frequent Contributor
Serenity_
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎01-12-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

 

 

In some parts I do agree with djad and others of course I don't. Yeah and maybe I just didnt look to close into the books and yeah maybe I havent had break ups like that and I'm not sure I want to if I have to go throw something like that (sounds horrible). I just don't understand why Bella would take Edward back after he left her. I mean yes he left because he thought it would keep her safe (it so didnt), but I don't see Bella understanding that when he left and when he came back still but she still took him back??? Someone help me here because this is just to plain confusing for me. Why would you take someone back when they left you and made you feel like that???


Because you love them.  For example a parents love for the children.  Children can hurt their parents beyond belief, but the majority of parents love their children so much they will always take them back no matter how bad the child hurts them.  Think of Bella and Edward as imprinted like Sam and Emily.  They are soul mates.

 

 

"There is no great writing, only great rewriting."
-Justice Brandeis
Frequent Contributor
writingirl_15
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎11-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like Twilight

Twilight is a romance/fantasy like book. So if someone doesn't like fantasy (like, dragons, magic, werewolves, vampires, fairies, ect) they probably shouldn't read this book. I happen to LOVE fantasy so this was a good series for me. Although there were some aspects, looking back, that I don't like about Twilight it was overall an great series. What I love most about fantasy books and creatures is that, well, I guess it just takes me to another world, one that is a bit better than the one I live in. LOL! I think a lot of people have a strong opinion about this series, negitive and positive.