Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TripleS
0 Kudos

Envision what you are reading!

A better way to get a better experience out of a book is see your self as the character and act out what's going on in your head while you are reading. This allows a full experience of what you are reading. So what is your favorite character and how do u envision your self as them and how is the experience for you?

"Time heals all wounds" "Live life to its fulliest read a book" "Ying and yang, push and pull, dont fight it just go along with it and u might be surprised what you find"
TripleSmx98
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird

Re: Envision what you are reading!

Wow I envision myself as the main chracter all the time!! I can't really pick a specific chracter, but most of the time I like almost all of them with a few exceptions. I think it's best to put yourself in the character's shoes because it helps you to better imagine the suituation that they are in and you really almost feel like your a different person while reading the book. Some of my favorite characters were Katniss from the Hunger Games, Rose from Vampire Academy, Max from Maximum Ride, Kaitlyn from Dark Visions, Laurel from Wings, Thomas from the Maze Runner and a lot more.  My least favorite chracter of all time is Kristina/Bree from Crank but somehow I still ended up liking the book.

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina

i do that all the time...whatever viewpoints its in, i imiagine myself as that character

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

One of my favorite things about reading is being able to experience things you never would otherwise and taking the time to the let the words penetrate and sink in is key in doing that, so I always envision myself in the book I'm reading and some of the most amazing things I've done in my books would be to have been able to visit places all over the world, fly, be a mermaid, go to a school of magic, fight supernatural beings, experience love and loss so great it's hard to believe and I even got to see life from the perspective of a cockroach once(Shoebag)!  I loved being able to do so many things, go so many places and get to know so many imaginary friends who were so real thanks to gifted authors and their magical organization of words.  :smileyhappy:

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
New User
Jen-Bug
0 Kudos

I love to put myself in a characters shoes while I'm reading it is better than watching TV if you ask me! There are too many characters to name when it comes to people I've imagined myself as. Mostly strong female characters like Ash from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely and Yelena from Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study Series.