Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
I_read_books

Favorite Genre?

Am I the only one who likes something other than paranormal romance? Every time I go to the bookstore or see books coming out, they always seem to be in that genre. I'm more of a science-fiction lover myself, but there don't seem to be many teen books in the sci-fi realm. Does anyone else wish they had more "genres" in the teens, or is it just me?

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

Re: Favorite Genre?

No, it's not just you.  I am admittedly a very old "teenager," but I like some of the stuff aimed at teens, and I'm getting tired of the, "I'm lonely, and I don't wanna bite people anymore, so I'm gonna go find a human to fall in love with, and try REALLY hard not to bite him or her" stuff.  Just because Stephanie Meyer pulled it off doesn't mean everyone can. 

Jeff

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Just because Stephanie Meyer pulled it off doesn't mean everyone can. 

I don't think she did.  I think everyone temporarily lost their minds.  She couldn't write her way out of a paper bag.  :smileysurprised:

I'm stuck on YA dystopia; I think it's because there's more hope written into YA dystopians than in "adult" dystopians...

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

Just because Stephanie Meyer pulled it off doesn't mean everyone can. 

I don't think she did.  I think everyone temporarily lost their minds.  She couldn't write her way out of a paper bag.  :smileysurprised:

:smileyvery-happy:  You're probably right; I was being too nice to her!

Jeff

Wordsmith
wheeze

I'm a regular drama type of a girl. Family issues, suicides, things that are BELIEVEABLE in real life. All these vampires, future death battles, and werewolves is a bit redundant.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

I liked Twilight when it came out, but now...it's okay. I haven't read it in a while, and now that I'm older, I'm not sure I would like it as much. That, and the movies ruined it. I am kind of sick of everyone comparing teen books to it, though. It's not the only teen series that has done well, and its definitely not my favorite. I'm glad that self-publishing seems to be getting more popular, because I've found some great authors who don't seem to care what's popular, and just write their own thing. I have some new favorite books/series from self-pubbed authors. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
ThatWhatSheSaid214

I wish there was more suspense books. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918
0 Kudos

I preffer Sci Fi, Fantasy, & Dystopian. But I'll read pretty much anything.  I do like a little romance though it's not necessary

I also used to like Twilight.  Then the movies came out & are sooooo horrible & all the hype just made me hate everything about the series.  Also as I've gotten older I've realized they arent that good to begin with.  I used to recommend it to anyone who hadnt read it but now I recommend Vampire Academy-so much better!!!!!

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Fantasy, Paranormal, SI-FI, a mix of things.

Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!