Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12

Go Ask Alice has been banned

So in the schools and libraries where I live, Go Ask Alice is now banned. Now, even though I haven't actually read the book (but I do however know why its being censored) I still don't think it should be banned. I don't really believe in banning books anyway. I mean even if the book does contain "inappopriate content" the right choice is not to ban the book. Number one, you are only calling attention to it and kids will probably want to read it more because its a no-no just so they can seem rebellious in front of all thier friends and family, and number two, they are restricting our rights. The point is people, the bad kind of stuff that happens books like Go Ask Alice happens in real life, and even though may not seem like, it may help kids who are struggling with some tough thungs of their own. Now I'm not saying "hey let's hand this book that's full of sex, drugs, and violence to a ten year old!" that would be just stupid. Yes there can and should be age restrictions on books just like there are with movies and video games, but trying to dismiss the book all together is not right.

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Inspired Contributor
smaria

Re: Go Ask Alice has been banned

I absolutely agree with you. I think that's pretty stupid for them to do that. You are right, these things happen in real life and it can help us realize so much things. I don't get why they banned Go Ask Alice. Don't movies and video games contain inappropriate things but that doesn't stop people from watching and playing them. So why ban Go Ask Alice?  The most it could do is help us realize these situations and try to make them better. To not be ignorant about these problems. If they are trying to protect 10 or 12 years olds, they shouldn't even be reading those kinds of books. They are just trying to grow up too fast. Them banning that book makes me irritated and it makes no sense at all to ban it.

ALN
Wordsmith
ALN

I have read Go Ask Alice, and I agree with you. You can tell kids about the dangers of drugs. I don't see why it should be banned. At my old school last year, they tried to ban Looking For Alaska. One parent saw their kid reading it and didn't like what was in it. This parent wanted to make it where no other kid at school could read it. My principal took it off the shelf while they discussed, but my librarian being the cool lady that she is, let my sister and me read it. I see no reason why it should be banned. It may contain some situations that are inapproriat, but like you said they should put an age requirement on it, if they don't want kids to read it. Even having a ban, won't keep kids from finding a way to read it. You could buy it. I mean they can't keep you from reading something you own. I just don't see the reason in banning any book really.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Correspondent
b00kwerm

I completely agree with you all. No book should be banned. That is taking away our rights. Your suggestions of age restrictions makes sense, but complete censorship is not right. My principal recently banned a book from my school that is allowed by that board that approves which books are appropriate for school (I don't remember what it is called). I don't want to read it, but the students who were reading it didn't see anything wrong with it. Even their parents were okay with them reading it. If people find books objectionable then they can state their opinions, but they shouldn't be able to prevent you from reading it. And it is true that saying don't read this will make people our age (teens) want to read them more.

I have not read Go Ask Alice. I have heard that is a good read. Many of the books that are banned aren't even as bad as listening to the news. If people don't want to expose "bad things," then they should just have happy news reported.

I am just saying...

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

I'm glad all of you agree with me. It's like your taking the words right out of my mouth. I hated book banning and I really hope that the one parent that threw a fit about the book will grow up! I think that I forgot to mention that a permission slip was sent home to the parents so that if a parent didn't want their child reading it that was fine but also leaves the other parents to make up their own minds. What if there was a parent who maybe wanted their child to read the book so that they would realize there really were problems like that, maybe even among their friends. Maybe just maybe, if the kid got it, they could learn how to help someone in need. Oh and b00kwerm, I loved what you said about the news thing. I hear so much on the news sometimes I just can't watch anymore and it's because they tend to focus on all the bad stuff in the world, and yet we are encouraged to watch the news so we can know what's happening. So I also ask, where's the difference?

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover

I totally agree with you Golden. I have read the book and while it was quite intense that shouldn't mean we should "ban" it. Banning books, as you said, is just a dumb thing to do. It is really pointless, as you pointed out as well. If they are to do anything about it, it should be something like the librarian or parent discouraging the teen/child to not read the book if they feel that person in particular is not mature enough to handle to hardships in the book. Go Ask Alice is a very haunting read, and some teens won't be able to handle it. That should be the extent of a "banning."

New User
Finklefryx23
0 Kudos

I haven't read this book either but while the books is about sex and drugs that is most certainly not the point. Yes, most kids wouldn't be mature enough to read it but banning it isn't nescessary.

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

I read Go Ask Alice and the stuff that happens to her happens to kids in real life. Banning it is kind of dumb. It's like making a movie rated R for language. Just walk down a middle school hallway and your gonna hear the same things.

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

thaisra wrote:

I read Go Ask Alice and the stuff that happens to her happens to kids in real life. Banning it is kind of dumb. It's like making a movie rated R for language. Just walk down a middle school hallway and your gonna hear the same things.

I completely agree with you... The same stuff is said in school, if only by a select few.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

It's sad they do ban books, no matter what the story was. I was just looking at the ALA Top Banned Books 2000-2007, and out of the top twenty there was  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)  Go Ask Alice  Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People  Forever...  The Giver ,  Hate to say it, but all of these books are classics in their own way. It saddens me to think teens are missnig out on classics. Yes, there material can be a bit much for anyone, but still, I think a far warning would help!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

wheeze wrote:

It's sad they do ban books, no matter what the story was. I was just looking at the ALA Top Banned Books 2000-2007, and out of the top twenty there was  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1)  Go Ask Alice  Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People  Forever...  The Giver ,  Hate to say it, but all of these books are classics in their own way. It saddens me to think teens are missnig out on classics. Yes, there material can be a bit much for anyone, but still, I think a far warning would help!

The Giver was banned????!!!! That makes no sense... The books you mentioned do not belong on that list. How are they "bad"?

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

Harry Potter????? The Giver????? I had those books for a book report one time. That doesn't make sense what so ever! I swear I looked at those books for 10 minutes trying to figure out how they are band. lol No clue, still xD

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

Ok so you are so not going to believe this but Harry Potter was banned because "it premotes witchcraft." HELLO! People... we are in the 21st century! This isn't the Salem Witch Trials. People were even so upset about the book that they actually had book burnings of it...kinda like the Nazis. It was really sick. There is this banner for Banned Books Week were J.K. Rowling is listed on there saying "No child has ever once come up to me and said 'thanks Miss Rowiling. Now I want to grow up and be a wizard!'" That cracked me up! Do people actually think kids are beliveing that they will suddenly sprout magical powers? I think kids are smarter than that, but hey...that's just me. Why can't we have books that are full of fantasy? We know that the stuff in stories are just that, but at the same time they fuel our imaginations allowing us to find real beauties in this messed up world.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami

I totally agree with you. Fantasy books are for us to leave the horrible world we live in that has war, death, and disease and bring us to a world of happiness, joy, and forgiveness. What do they expected kids to grow up as? Robots with no imagination what so ever? As kids or teens or whatever age you are we need something to hold on to and fantasy plays a big part in our lifes and if they like it or not we need it. So what if kids like reading about Wizards, Vampires, or Werewolves, Let them! If this is they way they want to live their lifes and not in boring school class rooms or business buildings or some boring place let them! And wow take out going back to the middle ages haha Who in the world really believes this? I mean yes it's funny and sweet if they do when their kids, but of course their going to know sooner or later that Santa, the Easter bunny, and the Tooth fairy aren't real. I mean why make them not believe Witches and Vampires, but let them believe Santa? haha All I am saying is that it's their lifes and they can control it anyway they wont =)

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
zera17
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with you.... And anyways Go Ask Alice is one of those books that if anything turn kids away from using and abusing drugs.  Not that I have ever had thoughts of doing drugs it just made me even more freaked out by them.... The book is so emotional you just can't stop reading and you really feel for her... I bawled!  Anyway.. I totally agree!  

For one of my English classes Go Ask Alice was one of the group books the whole class read.

Photobucket
Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I know everyone, i know.. how can you ban the Giver!? It's quite shocking in my eyes. Go google the ALA banned books, you wouldn't imagine.

One book I think they should ban is Living Dead Girl . I love the book, it's amazing story that is well written, but I definitely don't think everyone could handle it. Becomes very graphic and such, no way would I want this in my niece's hands until she was old enough to understand it.

Well wait, they shouldn't ban, thats not the word I am looking for, but it should come with an extreme forwarning sort of thing. You know, like the parental advisory on CD's kind of thing!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

I am still in shock... The Giver?! Really? And looking back at that last post by wheeze, Captain Underpants?! How is that bad??? It is a freaking cartoon!!!!

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Captain Underpants is harmless in my eyes! Same thing with Spongebob though. He is a cartoon, but people think he has some sort of demonic message. I think people need to chill, they get all caught up in this "harm" books can cause, but really they are just missing out! Some of those books on the banned lists are classics! I can't imagine not reading them!

Captain Underpants, although it may seem silly, it helps kids read. It's something they enjoy, and actually get into. You think a parent would be overjoyed that there kid is reading! My niece looks Goosebumps, is the only thing I can get her to read, and if they took those away, oh man, I would be buying out every store!

— Marilyn Monroe