Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Greek mythology

I know a few people are really into greek mythology on here so I thought I'd give everyone a heads up about a new series on the History channel.  It's called Clash of the Gods and it's pretty awesome.  Just thought I'd share my find.  :smileyvery-happy: 
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Re: Greek mythology

I think I saw Clash of the Gods.....

But I dunno.....

It was about Zeus.....

But I only saw the las 20 min. of it.....

I love Greek Mythology! :smileyhappy:

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Scribe
redheart52

haha i like greek mythology and i watched a bit of that. But umm.... cough...i like the romans better...lol =)
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Pshaw.  The Romans copied their whole society, gods, rules of government, even architecture off of the Greeks.  Therefore Greeks rule by default.  :smileytongue:
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Haha yeah but the Romans history is more exciting. Cesar? he's awesome. Augustus best ever in my opinion. What about Caligula? haha i love the crazy guys. Does the greek have anyone crazy ruling their empire. I don't think so. lol  Therefore, Romans kick butt. =P

Kyleigh

Did Rome have the Spartans?  I don't think so.  :smileytongue:  Caesar was an egotistical maniac who was deaf in his left ear, couldn't swim, and had epilepsy.  (at least according to the play, lmao)  Augustus is pretty cool I have to admit.  But does he beat Alexander the Great? I think not! I don't care if he was Macedonian, he took over almost all of the known world!  Plus there have been WAY crazier rulers than Caligula.  I dont know of any greek ones but there are the whacko's out there. 
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Okay i will admit that the spartans are cool. But they are military extremists and bad parents. They sent there male children into military drills at age 7 and any child born with an deformity was killed. Murder much?

Romans are still better...they lasted for about 500 years....not including the Eastern Roman Empire...  how long did Ancient Greece last?

Rome had more intresting leaders than greece too...Caligula was one but then there was also Nero! lol

Rome is great history. no arguing that

Kyleigh
0 Kudos

True.  But Athens practically invented democracy.  So ha.  Plus they remained in military service until their 60's. 

Pshaw.  Western collapsed from Germanic tribes, that's kinda pathetic.  Plus The Eastern Roman Empire wasn't even Roman.  It was more Persian than anything.  Well Turkish... anywho most of it's culture wasn't even Roman.  Plus the only reason Constantine made Christianity the official religion was to end the drama, and he wans't baptized till literally his death bed.  Lol.  And the Hagia Sophia that Justinian built.  Kick ass.  That doesn't even look like a roman structure.  So technically even though they called it the Eastern Roman Empire it really wasn't.  :smileytongue:  (yes I'm a world history buff)  

The whole freakin Caesar line were a bunch of power hungry psycho's. Everything is great history!  :smileytongue:  Except for American history.  I hate american history.  Yuck. 

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Im a history buff too... american and world. And i don't think Augustus was a power hungry psycho even though he wasn't of Caesars blood. And yes Athens did invent democracy but is that really a good thing?  lol  Whats wrong witha monarchy?
Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

Greek mythology seems interesting, I don't know much about it, the only bit I know is from the Hercules cartoons lol
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

redheart52 wrote:
Im a history buff too... american and world. And i don't think Augustus was a power hungry psycho even though he wasn't of Caesars blood. And yes Athens did invent democracy but is that really a good thing?  lol  Whats wrong witha monarchy?

Athens created democracy which definitly influcened the rest of the world. Democracies are better (in my opinion) because everyone gets a vote (not back then, but still!). Monarchies annoy me because it's one ruler, ruling everything. I'd be afraid that whole "I'm king or whatever" would go to their head. Like King Henry VIII of England. He was a loopy, I think.

Definitly gonna check out the show! Thanks!

"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Inspired Correspondent
torusthetiger
0 Kudos

ok so i'm really intrested in mythology and i was wondering if anyone knew a good book about mythology?

"but why's she got to go to the library?" -Harry
"because that's what Hermione does........When in doubt, go to the library." -Ron (chamber of secrets)
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i find greek mythology fascinating.l..just saying

when is this series on?

sparta is in greece im 99 percent sure

i agree the romance copied greek culture

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

i have always liked the greeks better than the romans...
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Wordsmith
Night_Angel

well, since the romans stole from the greeks and the greeks stole from the egyptians... :smileyvery-happy:
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

AHA! so the egyptains are cooler than anyone!!! :smileyvery-happy: lol... yeah i dont think the romans had any pyramids or massive sculpters of really spiffy rulers... who died... :smileytongue: oh and the romans totally copied the greek! :smileysurprised: so the greeks were much snazzier than the romans.... [but the egyptians dominated over all! :smileywink:]

that show sounds reallyreallyreally cool! :smileyvery-happy: when is it on???? i love history channel... it is amazingly brilliant on so many levels... :smileytongue::smileytongue: has anyone seen "after humans" ?? i just saw a bit of it this afternoon... it was sorta interesting... !!! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: but thats cuz im like "ohmygod[s]!! the mayans were right!! 2012 is doomsday!! :smileysurprised: "  lol yeah so that show kinda caught my attention... :smileywink:  

"We could do pizza."
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Ahahahha!  I loved the egyptians comment.  Very true.  Egyptians pown all!  Hmmmm well Greeks really didn't copy off the egyptians... sure once Alexander's kingdom got split up amongst his generals greek culture made a huge influence on Egypt and vice versa but Egypt has really remained quite egyptian.  Lol. 

And yes I've seen Life After People.  Good show.  Though when it started it was like a 2-3 horu program and then they made it into a series.  Which is kinda interesting.  idk.  I was kinda disappointed with it.  But some of the stuff is pretty cool.  

*thinking*  I don't remember what day it's on.  (I have it set to recrod new episodes) I would just stalk the History channel for a few nights and see if it's on.  Lol.  

New User
rhyme_me15
0 Kudos

Greek Mythology is so cool the stories that are told are so great. I agree with all of you. I have no TV so I can not watch the show you are referring to.

"Giving up does not mean you are weak, it just means that you are strong enough to let go"

Anonymous

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths 

Bulfinch's Mythology (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

torusthetiger wrote:

ok so i'm really intrested in mythology and i was wondering if anyone knew a good book about mythology?

I learned most of my Greek mythology from the first book above when I was a kid.  It may seem like just a kids' book, but read the reader comments on this book - I still would use it as my first reference today.  It's easy to understand and has lots of illustrations.

The second book is a classic, and includes mythology from more than just the Greeks.  It might be a bit dry, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

ive been watching that series clash of the gods on tv...its really good!..learning a lot
"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"