Contributor
Livr

Re: Guys & Romance Books

Hey, so I just finish reading Red Riding Hood (Yes the one that came out in the movies) and Across the Universe by Beth Rivas.  I liked both books because it gave the point of view of the guys and had a mystery. If you want to read a funny book that your mom would never let you read, I would recommend Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne but it is a thicker read.  Oh and just for fun you HAVE TO HAVE TO read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, I cracked up laughing when I read this.  It is a lighter read and you will be thanking me that  I gave you the idea to read this!  As a girl I have always been interested in reading romances that have the thoughts of the guys in them and all of these books do! Hope you like them :-)

Distinguished Correspondent
the_vampire_girl

I just had to comment! I think more guys should really give the romance genre a chance! One of my best guy friends has read the Twilight Saga and we often quiz each other! He even admitted that he learned a thing or two about girls through it! Guys shouldn't keep it a secret that they enjoy romance because usually it makes a girl think that he is really sweet! 

- the vampire girl ♥

- the vampire girl ♥

currently reading: Beautiful Creatures + The Forest of Hands and Teeth

http://itisabookthing.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
Reader2011AB

I'm a guy too and not afraid to admit it either! I agree with you completely LastCapitalist. I also like the books and I'm also straight. Romance books for guys would be very cool.

Life is the most spectacular show on earth.

Inspired Contributor
bamfan20

I really recommed The Mortal Instruments Series if you havent read them yet! It has a lot of action and romance and a really great part of the book is that its written in both the girls perspective and the guys. So you get both points of view!

Inspired Correspondent
bookluvr11

Hey I'm a girl jus to let you know.

i really loooveee the Vampire Academy series. its got some action and love in it and its amazing.

Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?
If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.
— Cassandra Clare (City of Bones)
New User
missash
0 Kudos

Sorry if this posts twice. My computer is acting up. Anyway, try Meant to Be by Tiffany King. This is an excellent romance story. Plus the author is awsome. I followed her on Twitter. She is so nice. I must not be the only one that liked the book because a lot of people are talking about it on Twitter.

Contributor
_book_worm_69
0 Kudos

Ok, I find it amazing that a guy will even admit to reading a romance novel.

So I do have a question for you, do you use any of the material in the books in any real life situations?

Proud Mother and Wife!!
Inspired Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

You are correct...not many guys like reading romance books.  I give you Kudos!

I have personally read a lot of romance books.  I typically love to read Vampire Romance, Paranormal Romance, and other books that take you away from the daily grind of life.

If you are interested in losing yourself for a few hours.....check out the books listed below:

Bloodlines by Rachelle Mead....Check out the Vampire Academy series....TRUELY intriguing!

Cryptic Cravings by Ellen Schreiber....Check out the Vampire Kisses Series.....another great read!

Girls that Growl by Mari Mancusi....Check out books by author....good books!

Black Dagger Brotherhood is an AWESOME series...but it is for older group.  The books take you away and keep you on the edge of your seat.  I have read 9 of 10 books by J. R. Ward.  Totally a series you would love.

If you need more pointers.....let me know.

Contributor
eodwife
0 Kudos

I also recommend vampire academy and the morganville vampire series. Angel burn is really good too.
Please help save the vision of my babies and visit
http://blastblindness.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
lev924
0 Kudos

I'm a guy too and straight, but I also love romance books and paranormal romance books. I thought twilight was good because there were teams, The hunger games is a little romantic but mainly action which is amazing. I just started reading a book called beautiful creatures which is from a boys point of view and he falls in love with a girl that he sees in his dreams, its a cool book. Tigers curse is also a great action paranormal romance book with tigers and its about a journey in india. Hillary duff book elixir is a good book about the elixir of life and soulmates, One of my favorite books of all time which is just like the movie that came out a while ago "red riding hood" its about a werewolf killing in a village and a girl needs to fight a werewolf and she needs to choose her lover, but be warned its just like the movie so if you saw the movie you might be bored but it has a ton of action. Charlie st cloud is good its about a boy whos brother died in a car crash and he's able to see ghosts. Cloaked is a good book also by alex finn and beastly. Those 2 are modern twists on fairy tales with adventure. 

New User
eros55
0 Kudos

found this topic now but yeah late im a guy straight and i liked sherrilyn kenyon should definitely read that

Contributor
GamerchickRaven
0 Kudos

[Note: I felt I should preface my response with a mild warning that I'm not a teen, anymore, and those of you who are are more than welcome to take my words with a grain of salt for my being out of touch]

I didn't read all six pages of posts, but in what I read I didn't see anyone asking what I feel might be important questions when recommending a book. 

What do you like in a romance book?

Do you like certain types of books that happen to have romance in them? or are you looking for stories that put more focus on the romance?

Are you looking for Love and maybe passion? or Infatuation and maybe lust? They are VERY different things and as someone who studied to be a relationship therapist with a focus/intent on teaching inter-personal skills to children and young adults, I think the sooner someone learns the difference, the better relationships they will have in their own life.

So, are you looking for epic romances full of heartfelt poetry and lonely longing for a soul mate? Or the angsty flairs of infatuation that making for very emotional reads, but usually involve lots of conflicting emotions... and almost as often, conflicting people to attach them to! 

Do you like realistic relationships you might see every day (healthy or not)? or seemingly fantastical relationships that are just too unbelievable for anything outside a story?

Does it matter to you who is involved in the romance? Male lead or female? Strictly hetero? Are you drawn to particular cultures or timeframes?

Even if you don't answer any of these on the forum, they might be useful to ask them of yourself and see where your thoughts go.

These are all things to take into account.

So, what is it you're looking for?

And to actually make a suggestion or two based on the fact that I read very little romance myself,

"Life, Love and the Polar Bear Tattoo" for something strictly romance, and more about defining love (for the lead) than about passion or lusty bits. Set more or less present day US. As a bonus, this was free for a time and could be easy to find a lend me copy.

"Outlander" for something more adventure with romance, set in the past between England and Scotland. Has enough lusty bits to make most folks looking for it to be happy, without *having* to be put on the adult shelves. Not the healthiest role models, but very far from being the worst.

Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo  

Outlander (Outlander Series #1)  

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

GamerchickRaven,

The Outlander series is an adult romance. I've heard a lot about it at the Romantic Reads B&N Bookclub. Have you been over there?

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
GamerchickRaven
0 Kudos

Nope, I honestly tend to shy away from romance stuff and only noticed this thread skimming the Teen board and it caught my attention. And as the love interest is barely 23 (and still a virgin on his wedding night), I didn't think it too far off the mark to mention here. Besides, even with a female lead, there seems to be enough adventure and flavor (all the Scottish brogue) to be of more interest to a male reader, without being overtly explicit.

But then I'm only familiar with the first in the series... 

Contributor
Livr
0 Kudos

Hey, the romance books I have recently enjoyed have been Cleopatra's Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter, Divergent by Veronica Roth, Chasing McCree by J.C. Isabella, Of Poseidon by Anna Banks and The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti. I hope you look into these titles especially the last three!