Inspired Contributor
liv4Him

Re: Harry Potter vs. Twilight - The Ultimate Showdown

Twilight is crap. Harry Potter is awesome.

Check out my blog at http://www.rinielsmusings.wordpress.com.
Contributor
Embe
0 Kudos

Harry Potter wins by a landslide!!! I mean Twilight was a good book, but very dramatic and over-exaggerated. Seriously, who the frig screams like their dying when the dude breaks up with you? Like I said, very dramatic.

"You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to find the secret is to press play."
-Thirteen Reasons Why
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

I don't think it was too dramatic... I think the book explains it pretty well. Bella wasn't just grieving for Edward leaving, she grieving because she lost an entire life. It's not dramatic and I know many people along with myself who have dealt with that kind of loss.

Embe wrote:

Harry Potter wins by a landslide!!! I mean Twilight was a good book, but very dramatic and over-exaggerated. Seriously, who the frig screams like their dying when the dude breaks up with you? Like I said, very dramatic.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Evil Mike! Your back...I think...anyway...HP is amazing in my humble opinion. I found Twilight to be um, how do I put this nicely? Suckish. Boring. Waste of time. Pedophilic. Though I really do not like the main characters of Harry Potter, (aka Harry, Ron, Hermione) they were more...devoloped then Twilight characters. Plus, always having that annoying buzzing in your ears about how "hot" Edward and Jacob are is just...ewwie...(Yes, I'm so immature that I still say "ewwie") Bella makes me want to be a dude. Why? So I don't suck at life. I shall give y'all a list of why I think Bella sucks at life...

1. She's in love with a pedophile
  2.  She's in love with a dude that VANTS TO SUCK HER BLOOD!
  3.  She hears her vampire boyfriend's voice in her head and therefor translates that into jumping off a cliff
  4. She got pregnant with vampire's baby as a teenager. Yes, she was married, but COME ON!
  5. She sets feminisim back a few centuries
  6. She named her kid Renesme or something. Really? Really?! I understand cherish your loved ones thing, but that kid is going to be bullied!
  7. She doesn't find a 107 year old dude watching her sleep (without her permission) creepy.
  8. The other dude she likes is also a pedophile.
  9. She's happy a pedophile is in love with her daughter

And there you have it folks! Bella's epic fail at life!

"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

I tried to make myself stop laugh from that after 30 minutes and it different work. Every freaking thing listed there is totally irrevocably true (yes I used Bella's word. Why would she used that word to describe how she feels for someone who wants to quote "Vants to suck her blood". Now do you people get it? A little weird, right? xD

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
kellybeans
0 Kudos

Harry Potter wins by a LANDSLIDE. Honestly, you can't even compare the two. First of all, the writing itself is better than any of Stephenie Meyer's books. While she takes up five pages just describing Edward's "perfection", JK Rowling actually tells a story. The plot in Harry Potter is also ten times better because it's so multi-layered, while Twilight only tells a story about Bella and Edward's love.

And don't even get me started on the message that Twilight is sending out to all the young girls that read it! Bella is the worst female character for impressionable children to look up on. She gave up her whole life to be with pedophile. Also, she lets her happiness and sanity depend on a man. When Edward left in New Moon, she wasn't happy until Jacob replaced him. Is that really the message you want to give to young girls? Also, the books are blatantly misogynistic. Bella cannot take care of herself; she always needs Edward to protect her against men, whether it's the Volturi or James.

There's really no competition between the two series - Harry Potter is just too epic and amazing to be compared to Twilight. :smileyhappy:

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all."
-The Breakfast Club
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Seriously? I'm sorry for all the feminists out there that think they are too good for men. Your ignorance is astounding and I can't believe this is what the next generation has become. As I've said before you can't compare Twilight and Harry Potter unless your doing it from a marketing point of view. They're two very different stories!!! I love them both for seperate reasons and I think this thread was setup to bash and put down people who still believe in true love. Yes, I said True Love.

What else is there in this world if you don't have love? I'm not talking about sex and I'm not even talking about romance. I'm talking about Love. Love for a child, for a friend, for a parent, or a teacher. Have people failed you all so badly that you have to look at the world in such a negative light? Or is it mere selfishness that guards you against happiness and forces you to put down those that are happy?

While I know this post will either be ignored or attacked, I have to say that I hope most of you do find happiness or at least be mature enough not to ruin someone else's happiness. You all pass judgement so quickly and easily but if it was you and your story and people said all these things it would hurt you. If you don't like the book than say that without cutting down on people and being offensive. It only makes you look like a fool and when someone says that your best is not enough it will only be karma laughing in your face. So do yourselves a favor and think twice before sneering at someone else's dream.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Contributor
Embe
0 Kudos

I so agree with you !!! The way you worded it made it ten times funnier though!!

"You can't stop the future. You can't rewind the past. The only way to find the secret is to press play."
-Thirteen Reasons Why
Correspondent
b00kwerm

Golden_Reader12 wrote:

Um... I'm like Sweden in this one, totally nuetral.

Don't you mean Switzerland???

Contributor
AnetteTepesDracula
0 Kudos

Definitely Harry Potter.

Twilight is a sad excuse for a "saga". The book only accomplishes two things: setting the women's rights movement back 200 years and brainwashing a generation.

"Alles brennt, wenn die Flamme nur heiss genug ist. Die Welt ist nichts als ein Schmelztiegel."
New User
MuggleBorn26
0 Kudos

While I love both books, I have to agree with most of you that Harry Potter has much more depth to it. Twilight is a very good book for pleasure, or even to provoke some very philosophical thoughts, but Harry Potter has much more hidden messages. Harry Potter is an absolute work of art. She (J.K. Rowling) planned it all out, and had something hidden in almost every page. It is staggering to realize how much she knew even in the first book.

If you guys are fans of either series, please check out MuggleCast (Harry Potter podcast) and Imprint (Twilight podcast) These are really great, and they go in a lot of depth of the parts of each series, and catch this: they are the same people. They like both series. I think that Twilight and Harry Potter are both amazing series, that should be seen separately and not compared. Search these on iTunes, I promise you you will fall in love!

:womanvery-happy:

Ron: Hermione, Neville's right - you are a girl...
Hermione: Oh, well spotted.
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Everyone talks about how Twilight goes against women's rights and yet no one can say how. Is it because Bella falls in love? She's strong and determined throughout the whole series. She doesn't depend on a man, even when Edward left she didn't go running into another man's arms she coped with it on her own. If it's because of how destroyed she was when Edward left then none of you have had a close connection with someone and then lost them. Women's rights isn't about swearing off love or men, it's about equal rights and it doesn't mean you're weak if you find love and companionship with a man.

Contributor
TheOnlyVIT
0 Kudos

This is such a ridiculous debate.

Twilight feeds the love obessesion that most people have. People want to think that love can be a perfect relationship like that Bella has with Edward.

But that's all it is. It's not a very complex story, and it's so back-and-forth that I get dizzy reading it.

HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY.

Harry Potter opens up an entirely new world. It's just written better and it shows better virtues.

But what I don't understand is how someone who read Twilight, but has never touched the Harry Potter books, can say Twilight is better. You have to have read both to compare both, and in this case, Harry Potter dominates.

Sorry Stephanie.

"Harry, don't go picking a row with Malfoy, don't forget, he's a prefect now, he could make life difficult for you..."
"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?" said Harry sarcastically.
New User
Switzerland
0 Kudos

actually Rosalie's dad doesn't own a bank, he works for the bank.  and every single bank didnt fail during the Great Depression, only most of them. just thought id point that out

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

i think everyone on this post has read both series.

New User
t-k-n_147
0 Kudos

I used to watch the movies of Harry Potter and now I don't even like Harry Potter. So... Twilight ALL THE WAY!!!!

"I decided as long as I was going to hell, I might as well do it thoroughly." ~ Edward Cullen

"Did you know that ‘I told you so’ has a brother, Jacob? His name is ‘Shut the hell up.’ "~ Bella Swan

New User
manicbookfreak

I have to say that Harry Potter is better all the way around, except in one area. Where JK Rowling had plot twists, an actual story line, and a completely new world Meyer had a romance that most girls dream of. That of course does not include your boyfriend wanting to drain your body of blood, but being desired in a way that is so all consuming that it nearly drives someone crazy is kind of awesome! But Harry Potter is more along the lines of what might actually happen in the real world, romantically speaking. But hands down JK Rowling is beast and Stephenie Meyer is just a girl who dreams of that life altering romance.

Contributor
TheOnlyVIT
0 Kudos

Obviously everyone who posted has read both series...why would they even care if they hadn't?

I was referring to all those people out there who DO only read Twilight and not Harry. There are people out there everywhere and I just wanted to express how they bug me!!!!!!

And whether or not Rosalie's story was historically correct, that wasn't the point. Frankly, the arguement about it could go on forever. Personally, I didn't dwell on it; I just felt sorry for her and moved on.

"Harry, don't go picking a row with Malfoy, don't forget, he's a prefect now, he could make life difficult for you..."
"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?" said Harry sarcastically.
Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER! 

~Love is a poison~
New User
fire-light
0 Kudos

The books of both HP and Twilight are better then the movies. I think that twilight books are way better then the movies not saying that the movies are not good but the books are way way better and for HP the movies are better then the books I think again I'm not saying that the books are not good but the movies are better in my mind.:smileytongue:

~Dark Roses~