Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Lindie
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter vs. Twilight - The Ultimate Showdown

Personally, Harry Potter vs Twilight is like asking "Which do you hate more?"

Twilight was the worse thing to happen to my teen years and it is my life goals never to read Harry Potter.

So considering that I never gave Harry Potter a chance, I'd say it is better.

Twilight was just that bad.

"She sang, of course, "M'ama!" and not "he loves me," since an unalterable and unquestioned law of the musical world required that the German text of French opreas sung by Swedish artists should be translated into Italian for the clearer understanding of English-speaking audiences."
Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

Harry Potter by a long shot not only the action scenes but the actors. People rant about how good twilight is and the books way better than the movie yah im sure it was same with harry potter but at least harry potter got me thinking about the book  and made me want to go see the other movies but the twilight movie ruined it for any chance it had for making me want to read the book and im afraid to see the new one no matter how many half naked guys are in it.

P.S. Edward is not even that good looking to be walking around wearing him on a t-shirt.

~Love is a poison~
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Lindie wrote:

Twilight was the worse thing to happen to my teen years and it is my life goals never to read Harry Potter.

You know, that's not a very nice thing to say. People on this site respect and accept each others opinions. I personally HATE Twilight, but it doesn't mean that someone who loves Twilight isn' t justified. You should stop making generalizaitons. People can like whatever they want.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

Lindie wrote:

You know, that's not a very nice thing to say. People on this site respect and accept each others opinions. I personally HATE Twilight, but it doesn't mean that someone who loves Twilight isn' t justified. You should stop making generalizaitons. People can like whatever they want.

Jaya, I wonder if you inadvertently mis-read what Lindie wrote.  I don't see anything in her post that disrespected the opinions of others -- she just gave her own opinions, prefaced even by "personally". 

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

My bad, saw the personally, but I thought she meant that she PERSONALLY thought the question "Which do you hate more" was for everyone, not that question PERSONALLY pertained to her. Sorry Lindie. Mistake of context.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
New User
LBpunkrock722
0 Kudos

Harry Potter is way better than Twilight. Twilight series gets boring after New Moon. Plus the movies aren't that well made.

Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

Honestly i think just from the preview of the next movie is going to be better than the 1st and for the sake of the other movies they might make it better be better. Man did you know Dakota Fanning is in there she looks so much older since her last movies Push, and secret life of the bees.

~Love is a poison~
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

Another reason why I prefer Harry Potter over Twilight. SMeyer being American should know her history right? Well her character Rosalie is said to have been born in New York during The Great Depression. She's also rich because her father owned a bank. HOLD UP! Wasn't The Great Depression because the banks failed? Yea my point is proven.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

I never read the book and all but you have a point hahaha! i wonder has anyone called her out on it during an interview? How embarrising MAN!

~Love is a poison~
New User
PosyAnnaLunaDianaAnnTessa
0 Kudos

HP forever! Twilight's decent though, but Harry Potter tops my list any day!

:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

HP rocks!

New User
Disney21
0 Kudos

harry potter is way better than stupid twilight

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Ravenclaww wrote:

Another reason why I prefer Harry Potter over Twilight. SMeyer being American should know her history right? Well her character Rosalie is said to have been born in New York during The Great Depression. She's also rich because her father owned a bank. HOLD UP! Wasn't The Great Depression because the banks failed? Yea my point is proven.

I think you need to check back into Rosalie's father... he didn't own the bank he was a manager. Her fiance's father owned the bank that's how they met silly!

And Not everyone was poor during the great depression...

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

I'm not really sure if you can compare HP and Twilight. There very different stories unless you compare the marketing techniques or popularity. I like both but for very different reasons. HP took me to a different world and I enjoyed growing up with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Twilight, however, touches me because if you focus on just the love story it's very similar to how my love and I fell for each other.

Both authors are amazing story tellers that know how to capture a reader's attention and keep it long after you've finished reading. If I had to choose between the authors, however, I'd have to choose Meyer because I also enjoyed The Host which is completely different from Twilight, and I'm still waiting for Rowling to come up with a story unrelated to HP. But both authors get kudos from me, their books have had a major impact on my life.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

Either way twilight sucks imo.

And you called me silly! xD You're officially cool haha

But yea, here's my new Why Twilight sucks rant

Twilight is like fashion. One moment it's bell bottoms and the next moment it's skinny jeans. The hyper for Twilight is slowly going down. And when Breaking Dawn is over, the hyper will be faded. Unlike Harry Potter which even years after the books have been released, there's still a hype and a passion for it.

Twilight is mostly for girls and to be honest it doesn't have great teachings. In fact, it brings feminen power down. I mean seriously SMeyer? Why not make Bella just kick both of their asses? Sike nah haha. No, SMeyer went to far with being unable to live with a man by her side. (speaking of bella here.) and resolving to near suicide attempts to see someone and hear them in her mind. It's not really teaching girls anything great either. I mean yea it's a story, some stories are f-ed up and are good. But when this is your beleifs and it's like your teaching these girls that this is what is right, that's just too much.

Anywho away from that, the characters were very flat. The story is a bit odd. Even the actors don't like twilight and may I quote from r-pat "it's a bit disturbing playing a character from this womans sexual fantasy." because that's what this is. SMeyers sexual fantasy. She is bella and bella is she.

Where Harry Potter is just everything haha.

Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

Sorry for the double post.

Also, SMeyers writing levels are a bit wow.

when you start off by saying

"My mother looked like me..." yet we have no idea what you look like... hmmm

And not only that but like deny it or not, most girls are into twilight because of edward and jacob. "they're so hot" and omg they want them. Let me tell you one thing girls, the people in the movie are actors not the real characters. And when you say that Edward and Jacob in the book are so hot like they're the hottest person around when they're barely described and it's left to like your imagination. Then we have a problem.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

I'll agree with the fasion analogy, though I think the hype has more to do with the movies than the actual books on both accounts. Twilight and HP are still getting kudos because of the movies and HP is getting more kudos because twilight f'ed up and just threw the movies together (at least that's my obsevation) where HP thought things through a little more and focused on the details.

Twilight is for girls but I disagree with the whole feminist thing. I don't think Meyer had feminism in mind when she wrote Twilight. The story is about an ordinary girl doing ordinary things and comes across an extraordinary situation. I'm not sure she was trying to set an example for girls she just portrayed Bella as a girl. She knew her weaknesses but her selflessness forced her to take risks in order to help those around her, which I can't argue with because I find myself doing things for others at my own expense. There are lots of stories out there where the heroine isn't physically strong, but they are still the heroine because they try to find other ways to fix the situation and survive. And there isn't anything wrong with wanting a man in your life it doesn't make you weak like some feminists want you to believe. I'm in a relationship with someone who actually makes me stronger. I'm a very independent person who has to do things myself a lot of the time, and though he may want to do it for me (he says I work too hard) he'll be there to encourage me until I reach my goal and I do the same for him. So it's bad to need support from someone you love, in fact most people don't support the ones they love.

Also, I don't think she was trying to make it seem as if Bella was unable to be without a man by her side, She loved Edward and when he left she didn't try to find another man she was uncomfortable with Jacob wanting more from her than just friendship which is giving her credit because most people, guys and girls, once they have their heart stomped on they look to others for support Bella didn't want support she did everything to hide her pain (she did a bad job obviously).

I'm not sure if the characters were flat, their appearances weren't described very well but lots of authors leave those details up to the readers their personalities, I think, came across pretty strong.

As to the sexual fantasy aspect, well duh, it's a love story and many writers' main characters are fashioned after themselves. Though I wouldn't say it was necessarily a 'sexual' fantasy every girl has a dream of their Prince Charming, their Romeo, or whomever, sweeping them off their feet and living HEA. That's why they have chick flicks and romance novels and things like that.

HP is a completely different plot line which is why I say you can't really compare the two.

Frequent Contributor
dandyMW
0 Kudos

Harry Potter FOREVER!!!

Harry Potter has everything - plot, action, a bit of romance, developed characters, emotions, awesome writing, twists and hidden secrets that keep you wondering...

I wish the series never ended, but that would probably be disasterous and I guess I'm glad that Rowling ended it the way she did. However, I'll always want to go back to that last day, anxiously awaiting the release of the next installment, and then the first read and all the excitement and sleep deprivation that comes with it.

There's no way my kids will grow up without reading this superb series, but I'm saddened by the fact that they won't get to experience the same thing we all did, even though it was painful waiting all those days, months, years for the next release, I think it was part of what made the series so great - and it was definitely worth it.

As for Twilight...I have to admit that the first in the Twilight saga was intriguing, but after that... Well you know what I mean.

HP all the way!!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
— Groucho Marx
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

There is no contest.

Harry Potter duh! lol

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
korts
0 Kudos

harry potter all the way!! don't get me wrong i love twilight but i just feel harry potter has more to offer to both sexes and a better story of good v. evil.  i guess twilight is about good v. evil sort of but its more focused on the love story and not many guys want to go see that movie because it is about the love story.  harry potter offers more i believe.  this is just my personal opinion.  everyone is free to theirs