Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Holocaust.

Okay so I've read Anne Frank, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and another book too but for some reason I can't remember what it was called. I googled "teen holocaust books" a while ago and didn't find anything. So I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books involving the Holocaust. I'm going to buy The Book Thief and I already have If I Should Die Before I Wake. So yeah, suggestions please?
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
SocrGurl_45
0 Kudos

Re: Holocaust.

in my english class we are going to be reading the devil's arithmetic.

its about the holocaust..ithink.

check it out.

its SUPPOSE to be a good book. =]

hope this helps

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion! :smileyhappy: The Devil's Arithmatic became a movie too. Idk if you know that or not but that just makes me want to read it more knowing that I'll see it come to life on screen.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Contributor
LastCapitalist
0 Kudos

You have to read "Night" by Elie Wiesel its another book on the holocaust. It was one of the most moving stories i have read.
"When the rich wage war it's the poor who die."
Jean-Paul Sartre
Contributor
LastCapitalist
0 Kudos

It was a really dark book. Only read it if you know you can handle it.
Jean-Paul Sartre
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Hm, well how dark? I mean I've studied and researched about the Holocaust but I can't say that I know every little thing that happened in the camps, ghettos, or basically anywhere else involving such. Can you kind of give me some kind of explanation of how dark it is? Btw, this has nothing to do with the subject I was just on. But for anyone who likes cats ... or hates them, I just heard two cats like screaming at eachother outside. I swear one of them probably died, it definitely sounded like it. :smileysad:

- Edward Cullen
Contributor
LastCapitalist
0 Kudos

Dark in the sense, where the author recall, and describes him seeing people being raped and carroled into furnaces, and gas chambers.
Jean-Paul Sartre
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Well, there's a book called 'The Freedom Writers'. You might have seen the movie butif you haven't then it's the diaries of the students in room 203 at a Long Beach High School. There all true and happened in like the early 90s. A big part was about when they studied the haulocaust because most of them never heard of it before. Oh, the movie was terrific!
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I've seen Freedom Writers. It's good but I want something more focused on the Holocaust.

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Sorry, I just can't read anything that focused on the Haulcaust. It majorly depresses me!
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

The Devils Arithmatic is deff that book then I really loved.  I also had to read it for an English Honors class.  The movie was pretty good also.  But I would deff check out the book.  My brother read one it was called like Count the Stars or something he really enjoyed it.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I always liked to learn about the holocaust. I don't know how to phrase that either, because it's not like I liked what happened to everyone in the camps. It's just interesting to me ever since I read Number the Stars in the 6th grade.

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

yeah that was the book my brother read Number the Stars.  Where did i get count.  We had to do a lot of research on the Holocause my freshman year of highschool.  we did a lot of stuff in 8th grade on it also.  Anyway i wrote an essay on how music and the holocaust were related.  I won an honorary mention but i dont think its the treatment of people that make us interested.  for me it was how Hitler worked and was able to use people and how convincing he was to have so many people following him.  Some of the buildings he started are amazing.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Yeah I'd love to hear speeches on what Hitler said to convince people the Jews were terrible people, or not even people at all. I don't think Nazis even considered Jews to be people.

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

no probably not.  but thats the issue with genocide.
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

The Book Thief is such an amazing book. I think it might be my favorite Holocaust book. Night is also really good, but it can be really hard to read at times. I remember after reading that book I just kept constantly thinking about how humans are capable of terrible things. And because this book is the true story of his life in the camp, it's so much more haunting than the fiction books. But still, I recommend them both : ) 

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Distinguished Correspondent
xojewlzx012
0 Kudos

someone already said this, but night is a good book

we read it in our english class last year, its a guys experience during it. its sad

but its good

" I'm completly capable of driving myself home!"
Of course she was but i wasn't capabale of letting her go
- bella & edward, midnight sun ♥
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

I just bought Night. I didn't think it would be so thin of a book. But I'm excited to read it. I also bought this book called The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. It's about these two Jewish children and their father and stepmother leave them in the woods and I guess tell them to tell people their names are Hansel and Gretel to hide the fact that they're Jewish. Then they meet this lady and she takes them in and protects them from soldiers I guess. I'm basically just reading the back of it. It sounds GREAT though.

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

i didn't read anne frank but i did a play on it.
Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Oh, The True Story of Hansel and Gretel sounds lovely! Could you tell me the author? And tell me what you thought of the book!