Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
0 Kudos

How close can 2 concepts be?

One of my more recent concepts, should someone read it, may have a resemblence to Stan Lee's "X-Men", in the fact that the main characters all have some kind of supernatural abilities and get shipped off to a special school because of it. 

I don't know if I'm really walking a thin line when it comes to copyright-any thoughts?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: How close can 2 concepts be?

Thriller-Writer wrote:

One of my more recent concepts, should someone read it, may have a resemblence to Stan Lee's "X-Men", in the fact that the main characters all have some kind of supernatural abilities and get shipped off to a special school because of it. 

I don't know if I'm really walking a thin line when it comes to copyright-any thoughts?

You're probably fine.  After all, that's what happens in Harry Potter also, it's a common trope.  The challenge you'll have is making it unique in comparision to the other stories out there - how are your characters and your school different from what's been done before?  You'll want your work to feel fresh to readers.

Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
0 Kudos

Thanks; that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to throw the question out there just for reassurance. 

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

Another one that has a slightly similar concept that you should look at is Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Jeff