Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
BrookeM

Hunger Games-- What do you think?

Hi! So what do you think of the Hunger Games and why?
Contributor
hedderwendy
0 Kudos

Re: Hunger Games-- What do you think?

let me think.......AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST SERIES EVER!!!! :smileyhappy:

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs
Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
0 Kudos

I think The Hunger Games is one of the best series that I have read. The movie looks amazing, I am super excited for it!

“The books that help you the most are those which make you think the most.”
New User
Luvs_Books17

are u kidding!!??? this series is so brilliant! my favorite part was when they said katniss and peeta had CHILDREN!!!! :smileylol:

Contributor
AlySedai

I think this is a fabulous set of books...and despite the HORRIBLE reviews on Mockingjay, I have to say, that I think I enjoyed that book most of all. I love how they finally paint Katniss as a "real" person instead of a superhero who can do it all. You finally see the toll that this war is taking on everyone, and as much as it pains you to read it, you really finally relate to the characters as people. I think it's brilliant...it may be a little to "real" for some readers, especially those who want a happy, sunshine and rainbows ending, but for me, it was great.

English Teacher Extraodinaire
Bibliophile
Gamer Girl
Actress and Singer
Lover of Life
New User
Forever_Paradise
0 Kudos

I believe the Hunger games is an amazing serie of books. I totally loved it, even when the ending of Mockingjay let me down a little. Mockingjay's ending was like too short and like "So, Peeta and Katniss live happy forever, and they really had children, the end"

Contributor
hedderwendy
0 Kudos

I have to agree they also just totally threw gale out of the book basically so i think they should have elaborated on annie and how she taking it with finnik what happened to haymitch hazelle rory vick and posy too.But otherwise they were amazing books

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. ~John Burroughs
Contributor
Vamp_lover19
0 Kudos

Ok.. many people are going to hate me for saying this...but I did not think this series was not as good as everyone is making it out to be. Throughout the first book, I thought I was in heaven. I loved the romance, the plot, and pretty much everything about it. I practically ran to the bookstore to get the second one. But when I finished it, I thought it was incredibly disappointing compared to the first one. But I was still hoping that the ending of the series would be brilliant. I read the third book and by the end I had lost all of the love for the series I had gained in the first book. The ending to this series was absolutely horrible. It felt rushed and all of the suspense that had been built on who Katniss would choose just disappeared. There was no end it felt like she just settled for Peeta because everyone else had left her. I also thought that Haymitch would come out of the entire thing a better man, but it seemed as it had no effect on him! I think that Suzanne Collins is an amazing author, which is why I believe she should have come up with a better ending.

Contributor
AlySedai
0 Kudos

Vamp_lover19 wrote:

Ok.. many people are going to hate me for saying this...but I did not think this series was not as good as everyone is making it out to be. Throughout the first book, I thought I was in heaven. I loved the romance, the plot, and pretty much everything about it. I practically ran to the bookstore to get the second one. But when I finished it, I thought it was incredibly disappointing compared to the first one. But I was still hoping that the ending of the series would be brilliant. I read the third book and by the end I had lost all of the love for the series I had gained in the first book. The ending to this series was absolutely horrible. It felt rushed and all of the suspense that had been built on who Katniss would choose just disappeared. There was no end it felt like she just settled for Peeta because everyone else had left her. I also thought that Haymitch would come out of the entire thing a better man, but it seemed as it had no effect on him! I think that Suzanne Collins is an amazing author, which is why I believe she should have come up with a better ending.

Why does the better ending have to be a happy ending?

I think that the ending was realistic which is something that you don't see in literature very often, and I agree, can be unsettling at times. 

The problem that people have with Mockingjay is that it's hard to read. There's not happiness. There's not love in the traditional, passionate, literary sense. Instead, there is realism.

Katniss has been through so much in the first two books, that by this book, she's beaten down. How much can a person take before they start to break down? Gale leaving, I think that Collins pretty much explains that. Gale even says that he knows that even if Katniss doesn't  blame him directly for the bombs, that there's no way that she could look at him and not wonder. I think that his going off and leaving at the end is partially because of that, and partially because his ideology and hers don't mesh. Katniss by the end is done with fighting. She wants to try to live out the rest of her life peacefully.

The absence of her mother, well, her mother was never really there to begin with. We know early on that her mother can't deal with pain. Once her husband died, she pretty much died as well. Now, with Katniss being a shell of the person she once was, and with Prim gone, what else is there for her mother to do?

Katniss and Peeta...they belong together both because, I think that they do love each other on some level, but also because they share something that the others don't. They've been there. They've been through the battles. They have cases of PTSD, and maybe others can't and will never be able to understand. I think that their love is far more realistic. People in real life don't come together passionately. Instead, they grow together over time. Lasting love comes from an understanding of the other person...and that's what happens between them.

I don't know. I really enjoyed the series, because it's a departure from the norm in literature. I know that it's supposed to be an escape, but sometimes literature needs to be a reflection as well. And I think that Collins does this very well.

English Teacher Extraodinaire
Bibliophile
Gamer Girl
Actress and Singer
Lover of Life
Contributor
A-B_Trammell
0 Kudos

The book Hunger Games it self was Amazing... Loved it..

Downloaded Catching Fire that same night I finished Hunger Games.. It was OK, nothing like Hunger Games.. I felt like I had to really force my way through the 1st half of it.. Then it picked up and I really got into it again.. Then downloaded Mockingjay the same night I finishing Catching Fire... OMG.. I was so disappointed.. :smileysad: Took me, what felt like, forever to read the book.. The first 3/4 of the book dragged out really bad.. But then just like Catching Fire, the last 1/4 of the book picked up and held my attention nonstop.. No complaints on the ending..

I'm glad I read all three books, I just wish it was a more even flow of a read.. It was like she was running out of paper, had all these ideas still, and had to cram everything into just of few chapters..

But that's just my opinion..

Loved the Twilight Series,

Liked the Hunger Game Series (Love the characters)

Hated the Herry Potter Series

So my question is... Anyone have some ideas for another Series for me to read.. Tried Witches & Wizards and just couldn't get through the 1st book.. :smileysad: 

Thanks..

April Trammell