Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

I hate the library!

I have a $170.00 fine. I know right but I'm not as irresponsible as it sounds. Last week we had a severe thunderstorm and the lightning caused an electrical outlet to spark until everything in my room caught on fire. I mean everything. Then everything in my sister's room except a few boxes. I had my 5 library books in my room and a few magazines. So now I'm not allowed to check anything out. We told them we had a fire and everything in my room and almost everything in my house (from smoke and water) are damaged. No sympathy. Usually if you lose a book you can just buy it and turn it and I would buy it from this local discount book store. NOPE. Sigh.

ALN
Wordsmith
ALN

Re: I hate the library!

They should be more understanding. Do they think you're not telling the truth? That you're trying to get out of paying your fine? And $170 seems kind of outrageous! Also I'm sorry about what happened to your house with the fire. I hope everything will be able to be worked out, and that the library will let you buy them new books. 

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

BeeZnEEz101 wrote:

We told them we had a fire and everything in my room and almost everything in my house (from smoke and water) are damaged. No sympathy.

I'm surprised they didn't waive the fines based on a fire; I've heard multiple times of libraries waiving fines/fees for losses due to catastrophe. 

However, since I'm sure your parents have filed a claim with their homeowner's insurance, they should be able to add the library fines to that claim and you won't be out that cash.

I'm sorry, I'm glad nobody was injured and I hope everything works out okay.

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird

BeeZnEEz101 wrote:

I have a $170.00 fine. I know right but I'm not as irresponsible as it sounds. Last week we had a severe thunderstorm and the lightning caused an electrical outlet to spark until everything in my room caught on fire. I mean everything. Then everything in my sister's room except a few boxes. I had my 5 library books in my room and a few magazines. So now I'm not allowed to check anything out. We told them we had a fire and everything in my room and almost everything in my house (from smoke and water) are damaged. No sympathy. Usually if you lose a book you can just buy it and turn it and I would buy it from this local discount book store. NOPE. Sigh.

Wow I'm really sorry to hear that you had a fire... that's terrible =( And that's crazy insane I can't believe they won't waive the fee because I mean it's not your fault that the fire happened! To me that's a pretty good excuse! Libraries should be nicer thats all I have to say... hmmmph My brother checked out a game on my library card one time and I checked out four books. So we returned them a day late and for the books the fee was four dollars and I was like fine! But then the fee for the game was $15! For one day! Grrrrrrr Hopefully your insurance does cover the library fees! =/

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918

Sorry to hear about your house & I can't believe how insensitive the library is being.  Or that they wont work with you!

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Wordsmith
wheeze

I'm sure if your parents brought in the claim from your insurance they would be able to change it. People lie to libraries a lot, which is horrible. Maybe have your parents call them and ask what the policy is. Until then, hopefully you can get books another way.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Cheyenne_Catina

i concur with everyone else- that sucks and is totally insensitive on the library's part.

i hope everything works out tho

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your responses. Well we didn't have any insurance, so what's gone is gone. I showed the library the actual fire report as proof and they knocked it down to a little over $100. BUT STILL! Wow those are some outrageous late fees, but I guess it's supposed to teach you to be more responsible and bla bla bla, but sometimes you just really don't have time to return on it. At my library each day late is just 10 cents.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Ten cents isn't too bad. I pay a quarter every day for books.. and 50 cents for movies. Sucky deal.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Contributor
ZiaMarie
0 Kudos

BeeZnEEz101 wrote:

Oh no! =/ Yeah, they tend to be pretty ruthless sometimes, but more importantly, I'm glad you and your family are okay. I really hope you can get this fine issue straightened out because they shouldn't turn a place you love into a place you hate.

--- Zia

http://ziambooks.blogspot.com

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

We have to pay a dollar for every late day to my library. It's really my sister who often is always late.

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

its ten cents a day for me. but if its an interlibrary loan its 50 cents

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"