Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Iwant2read
0 Kudos

I'm so bored with books lately! What should I read?

[ Edited ]
Hello. ^_^
So I love to read, but I don't read a lot. Not because I don't want to, but nothing seems to grab and pull me in anymore. I also have a problem with knowing the ending to the books from the first page theses days. :smileysad: It's depressing.
When I was young I really loved Goosebumps and the beginning of A Series of Unfortunate Events(I only have books 1-3). Now I'm 17 and I'll be 18 in October. I'm trying to decide if I should try the Fear Street books by R.L. Stine...or am I to old for that now? /: I'm planing on rereading A Series of Unfortunate Events as well, but I'd really love to read something on my age level.
I really love GOOD horror/suspense(not blood and guts...), mystery's, anything morbid/supernatural, and some great plot twist of course. Yeah, I'm wried, but that's what I like. ^_^' O, and I am into the beginning of the Sweep series, love it, but they are pretty much impossible to find anywhere. Gir. I'm into books that have to do with wicca, but they would need to be fiction. I enjoy Twilight/New Moon/Eclipse and anything vampires, but I'm kinda bored with all the romance in vampire novels now.
I really need a good book fix! PLEASE help me find good books or book series?
I can feel my IQ droping as I type. :smileysad:
HELP!
P.S. Should I read Stephane King or not? I've been getting mixed reviews from people on his writing.

Message Edited by Iwant2read on 09-13-2007 10:30 AM
~I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward~
(aka...hopeless romantic)
Contributor
knot-hole-book-review
0 Kudos

Re: I'm so bored with books lately! What should I read?

Read The War of Mirrors, by E.J. Stewart. If you feel your IQ "droping" as you type, maybe this book will help revive it a bit. Good reading!
Contributor
Iwant2read
0 Kudos

Thank you. :smileyhappy: Any other books?
~I'll be your Bella if you'll be my Edward~
(aka...hopeless romantic)
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

You might want to browse the vampire & horror books here. And fyi, we offer all of the Sweep books online - you can check them out here.

As of late, some of the popular reads are Vampire Academy, Wicked Lovely, and the Vampire Kisses series.

As for Stephen King, personally I enjoy some of his books more than others, but my favorites are some of his classics: The Shining, Salem's Lot, and Carrie. They're amazing - and the movies are great, too!

Have you tried more science fiction books, like Ray Bradbury or Arthur C. Clarke? You might like those.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Okay: Get ready for major book lists...

Larklight by Phillip Reeve: "Dickens in outer space". Plot: Art Mumby and his sister Myrtle encounter vicious white spiders who take over their home, Larklight, and kidnap their father in an alternate British Empire based in outer space. Sequel: Starcross.

Chronicles of Chrestomanci by Diana Wynne Jones: Charmed Life is the first book, followed by (chronologically) The Lives of Christopher Chant, The Magicians of Caprona, Witch Week, Conrad's Fate and The Pinhoe Egg. Plot:Chrestomanci, a sort of policeman for witches, wizards, etc., is a nine-lifed enchanter. Chrestomanci is a title, not a name. There are several different plotlines throughout the series, the first of which involves a megalomaniacal witch and her strongly magical brother.

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott: First in a series. Plot: Twins become involved in an ancient rivalry between two alchemysts: Nicholas Flamel (HP fans will recognize the name) and John Dee.

City of Ember (and sequels) by Jeanne Duprau: Two young citizens of an underground city search for an escape route before the city's electricity runs out.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: A horror classic originally titled "Dark Carnival". Disney made a movie of it as well.

The Jonny Dixon books by John Bellairs: Actually, anything by this author is majorly creep-tastic and MUST BE READ if it is available.

The Game by Diana Wynne Jones: Mythology, fantasy, sci-fi, etc. lie at the core of this fabulous novella.

Happy Reading, my fellow book lover!!! :smileyhappy:
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

All of Agatha Christie sounds good for you. Especially "And then there were none." It's a great murder mystery.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

dianaprince wrote:
The Alchemyst by Michael Scott: First in a series. Plot: Twins become involved in an ancient rivalry between two alchemysts: Nicholas Flamel (HP fans will recognize the name) and John Dee.

I recently finished The Alchemyst after recommendations from the clubs here and it was really good! It takes place in present time but has a great back story in mythology and magic. I'm going to be anxious for the rest of the series to come out now.

Stephen King and Dean Koontz are great for classic horror stories. They write about all kinds of subjects and have a lot of books. I think King's older work is good for the really scary stuff.
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Did you know that "The Alchemyst" has a website which displays the titles of the next five books? I can't provide the link right now because I'm running a virus scan on my computer, but I will post the link later or insert it into this message through editing (I can never tell when my computer will let me edit a message). Happy web-surfing!
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

dianaprince wrote:

I recently finished The Alchemyst after recommendations from the clubs here and it was really good! It takes place in present time but has a great back story in mythology and magic. I'm going to be anxious for the rest of the series to come out now.

Stephen King and Dean Koontz are great for classic horror stories. They write about all kinds of subjects and have a lot of books. I think King's older work is good for the really scary stuff.

Flamel is very popular. I think he was even mentioned in Septimus Heap.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Contributor
gidiana
0 Kudos

You might want to read Peeps by Scott Westerfeld its about vampires and if you want mystery you could try out the series of books Pretty Little Liars it isn't that scary until the 2nd or 3rd book (the fourth hasn't come out yet) but There is definitely a big mystery behind it. It is about four girls they are in high school and their friend disappeared in the summer of eighth grade named Alison(she new everything about them.) Now someone is sending vindictive text messages and seems to be watching their every move. Whoever it is, is signing the texts A. They have drifted apart since 8th grade so they don't know anyone else is getting the texts. Well don't want to spoil the book but don't worry that is all in the summary of the first book anyway well hope you read one of the books i suggested.
My favorite series of all time: don't have one I love them all!
Contributor
Fantasy-Fan
0 Kudos

I am interested in books similar to Iwant2read. I read through the suggestions and chose to read Peeps.

Thank you gidiana for suggesting Peeps. I just got that book out from the local library this afternoon.

-Alli
Frequent Contributor
WaterLily
0 Kudos

Actually I read all of the Sweep books when I was Seventeen I turn eighteen in a couple of months. But she also has another series out those are written more maturely unfortunetaly i have not read them yet i let my friend borrow them. Try Amelia Atwater-Rhodes her books are In the Forest of the Night, Demon in My View, Midnight Predator, and Shattered Mirror. She has a series of shapeshifter books those are Hawksong, Snakecharm and there are i believe 3 more in the series i cant remember thier names though. Let me know if the Ugleis is any good i have been meaning to read them but mylibrary doesnt have them.
"In the end family is all that we have"
Contributor
kitkatt728
0 Kudos

What books should I read??

Hey,
I do not know what to read...I am so stuck, there are so many good choices!! I just finished the golden compass and then saw the movie which was excellent!! But I do not know what to read next??!!!

HELP!!
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: What books should I read??

Er, Harry Potter? LOL.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: What books should I read??

At minimum, you should read the remainder of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy (The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass since you just finished The Golden Compass. :smileyhappy:

kitkatt728 wrote:
Hey,
I do not know what to read...I am so stuck, there are so many good choices!! I just finished the golden compass and then saw the movie which was excellent!! But I do not know what to read next??!!!

HELP!!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
kklein
0 Kudos

I just read the book "Strand Prophecy" it's a really good book. I can't wait till the second one comes out.
You should try it.. the authors JBB Winner
Contributor
Rikindi
0 Kudos

Almost any Stephen King/ Dean Koontz book. But be careful with those authors, sometimes they write things that you might not want to read.

Some books I may suggest containing connections to the Wiccan religion might be the books written by Laurie Faria Stolarz. (Blue is for Nightmares, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets and Red is for Remembrance.) They are fairly written, but nothing compared to the Twilight series.

=)
Contributor
wolfchick1692
0 Kudos

If you're into dark fantasy or want a book that keeps you guessing, I would recommend The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding.
"The thing about trains... it doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on." -The Conductor from "The Polar Express"
Contributor
dhargett
0 Kudos

If you are into wicca then I would read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley or really any of her Avalon books. These focus on the priestesses who are pagans. The Mists of Avalon is actually an interpretation of the Arthurian legend. She also has a series called Darkover which I haven't read anything from but it is science fiction of some sort. For the person who read the Golden Compass you might also like Tamora Pierce. Her and Phillip Pullman are very similar. They even have a website with another author where they do podcasts. She is an amazing author. If you are going to read her I would start with her Song of the Lioness Series; I personally think its one of her best.
New User
livevolleyball
0 Kudos

anything really good i should know about...

[ Edited ]
hey..
i LOVE to read and well..
there has been a drop in good books lately
i like the romantic books so if you have suggestions
tell me them!
thank ya

Message Edited by livevolleyball on 12-13-2007 05:56 PM