Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
poise_and_poison
0 Kudos

Jane Austen

Right now I am going through a Jane Austen craze! I am currently reading (or I should say rereading) Pride and Prejudice. I love it to death. My next one to reread is Sense and Sensibility. After that I am undecided which to read. What I was wondering was, which of Jane Austen's novels is your favorite and why?

Also, do you like any of the movies based off of Austen's books? I am in love with the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice. I know it doesn't really follow many of the details of the book, but I still think it is an excellent movie. I especially find the last 2ish scenes to be possibly better than the book if i dare say that. The cinematography is amazing!!!! Anyone else have an opinion?

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen

I love all of Austen's novels but Pride and Prejudice is my number 1 favorite, then Sense and Sensibility, after that they are all pretty good. I love the Keira Knightly version, It is my all time favorite move. I have only seen one other movie and that was Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet and it was really good as well. I want to see the whole collection of Austin movies by BBC. I have the Jane Austen collection so I just read the books in order as they were in the book, which I think is how she published them.

New User
celticprincess11
0 Kudos

oohhh have yall seen becoming jane ohhhhh i cryed sooo much *sniffle*

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

Yes, I had read about her background before the movie came out but even knowing what was going to happen I still cried...

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

The Kiera Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice was good, but I like the 1995 BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth better. Both did a good job capturing the spirit of the novel, though.

The Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version of Sense and Sensibility is really good, as is the new adaptation of Emma that recently aired on PBS.

New User
EmLovesLife
0 Kudos

I also love Jane Austen's novel and I recommend:

-Mansfield Park

-Emma

-Persuasion

Out of those three, Emma is my favourite because it is beautifully written. It is about a young woman, Emma, who feels it is her duty to match-make her friends. However, is she doing more bad than good? It is definitely worth reading.

Northanger Abbey is also good but I found it more difficult to get into because the beginning was, in my opinion, fairly slow-moving. However, once you pass that, it is fantastic.

Happy reading!

New User
EmLovesLife
0 Kudos

I began watching Becoming Jane but I could not handle the atrocious English accents which were so false they made me cringe. I also found that the way it was performed did not suit the time period. However, it was apparently fairly good so I might give it another go!

New User
Golden_Gilmore_18
0 Kudos

I'm just starting to get in to Jane Austen.  I have her complete works and I'm starting off with Emma.  I like it so far! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Sawyer94
0 Kudos

I love Jane Austen as well. Pride and Prejudice is also my favorite of her novels. I enjoyed the kiera knightly version  better than the old version. I also read Emma which is my second favorite and everyone should read it. I liked the version on Masterpiece better than the one with Paltrow. I'm going to read Sense and sensibility next because i like the storyline and the movie with Hugh Grant and Kate Winslet.  

fear is the heart of love
Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

my favorite is persuasion...i actually wasnt a austen fan until i watched the lake house a couple years ago and she was talking about that book and then i read it (and im not into romantic books) but something just makes your heart squeeze and you have that yearning when they are apart ...idk i think austen really got what love is all about...we are in such a technology world now but i sure do miss the whole love letter/pledge your love days...lol but yes i cant wait to read the others...

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
ALN
Wordsmith
ALN
0 Kudos

Honestly I haven't read any of Jane Austen, but I have seen Pride and Prejudice, and the version of Sense and Sensibility that doesn't have Kate Winslet in it. Today, actually, I decided to start reading Jane Austen, and I got Northanger Abbey, Emma, and Persuasion. I'm reading Northanger Abbey right now, and I'm really liking it. So if you haven't read it, than that's the one I suggest. I also really liked Sense and Sensibilities.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Contributor
ParkBenchLibrary
0 Kudos

Jane Austen is wonderful!  Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite.  Although the BBC movie version with Colin Firth was closer to the book, the cinematography in the Keira Knightley version was so beautiful that I now prefer it.  Lately, PBS has be re-airing the BBC Austen movies.  I was so disappointed after watching two hours of Persuasion and then the screen froze for the last ten minutes - aaahhh!  For those of you who haven't tried Austen yet, give it a chance.  The speech patterns can be a little challenging at first.  It took a second reading years later for me to really enjoy it.  Elizabeth Bennett has such spunk. 

Frequent Contributor
love2read95
0 Kudos

I just started Pride and Prejudice. I am so excited to read it!!! I'll be sure to check back when I finish it:smileyhappy:

~Love2Read95:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

what do yall think about the whole pride prejudice and zombies ....do you think it was a good or bad idea ...some are saying it ruined a classic and others say that now they can actually get their kids to read austen...

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
ShayneParkinson
0 Kudos

If I had to pick a single favourite author, it would be Jane Austen. I often re-read her novels, and every time I seem to notice something new.

My favourite has changed over the years. it used to be Pride and Prejudice, and that's still a close second, but my very favourite is Persuasion. There's a maturity and quiet strength to Anne Elliot that makes me love her.

I've several adapations I'm fond of, too: the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth P&P, the Emma Thompson S&S, Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma, and the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds Persuasion.

Sentence of Marriage: a tale of Victorian New Zealand.

Sentence of Marriage, A tale of Victorian New Zealand.
Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite!  I don't really like either movie though...

I highly recommend you go find the british show Lost in Austen.  It's hilarious!!!  I watched them all on youtube, but I heard they are on Netflix now too.  Totally worth it!