Contributor
poise_and_poison
0 Kudos

Jane Austen

Right now I am going through a Jane Austen craze! I am currently reading (or I should say rereading) Pride and Prejudice. I love it to death. My next one to reread is Sense and Sensibility. After that I am undecided which to read. What I was wondering was, which of Jane Austen's novels is your favorite and why?

Also, do you like any of the movies based off of Austen's books? I am in love with the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice. I know it doesn't really follow many of the details of the book, but I still think it is an excellent movie. I especially find the last 2ish scenes to be possibly better than the book if i dare say that. The cinematography is amazing!!!! Anyone else have an opinion?

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Austen

I love all of Austen's novels but Pride and Prejudice is my number 1 favorite, then Sense and Sensibility, after that they are all pretty good. I love the Keira Knightly version, It is my all time favorite move. I have only seen one other movie and that was Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet and it was really good as well. I want to see the whole collection of Austin movies by BBC. I have the Jane Austen collection so I just read the books in order as they were in the book, which I think is how she published them.

New User
celticprincess11
0 Kudos

oohhh have yall seen becoming jane ohhhhh i cryed sooo much *sniffle*

Correspondent
SpunkiiReader
0 Kudos

Yes, I had read about her background before the movie came out but even knowing what was going to happen I still cried...

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

The Kiera Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice was good, but I like the 1995 BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth better. Both did a good job capturing the spirit of the novel, though.

The Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version of Sense and Sensibility is really good, as is the new adaptation of Emma that recently aired on PBS.

New User
EmLovesLife
0 Kudos

I also love Jane Austen's novel and I recommend:

-Mansfield Park

-Emma

-Persuasion

Out of those three, Emma is my favourite because it is beautifully written. It is about a young woman, Emma, who feels it is her duty to match-make her friends. However, is she doing more bad than good? It is definitely worth reading.

Northanger Abbey is also good but I found it more difficult to get into because the beginning was, in my opinion, fairly slow-moving. However, once you pass that, it is fantastic.

Happy reading!

New User
EmLovesLife
0 Kudos

I began watching Becoming Jane but I could not handle the atrocious English accents which were so false they made me cringe. I also found that the way it was performed did not suit the time period. However, it was apparently fairly good so I might give it another go!

New User
Golden_Gilmore_18
0 Kudos

I'm just starting to get in to Jane Austen.  I have her complete works and I'm starting off with Emma.  I like it so far! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Sawyer94
0 Kudos

I love Jane Austen as well. Pride and Prejudice is also my favorite of her novels. I enjoyed the kiera knightly version  better than the old version. I also read Emma which is my second favorite and everyone should read it. I liked the version on Masterpiece better than the one with Paltrow. I'm going to read Sense and sensibility next because i like the storyline and the movie with Hugh Grant and Kate Winslet.  

fear is the heart of love
Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

my favorite is persuasion...i actually wasnt a austen fan until i watched the lake house a couple years ago and she was talking about that book and then i read it (and im not into romantic books) but something just makes your heart squeeze and you have that yearning when they are apart ...idk i think austen really got what love is all about...we are in such a technology world now but i sure do miss the whole love letter/pledge your love days...lol but yes i cant wait to read the others...

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
ALN
Wordsmith
ALN
0 Kudos

Honestly I haven't read any of Jane Austen, but I have seen Pride and Prejudice, and the version of Sense and Sensibility that doesn't have Kate Winslet in it. Today, actually, I decided to start reading Jane Austen, and I got Northanger Abbey, Emma, and Persuasion. I'm reading Northanger Abbey right now, and I'm really liking it. So if you haven't read it, than that's the one I suggest. I also really liked Sense and Sensibilities.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Contributor
ParkBenchLibrary
0 Kudos

Jane Austen is wonderful!  Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite.  Although the BBC movie version with Colin Firth was closer to the book, the cinematography in the Keira Knightley version was so beautiful that I now prefer it.  Lately, PBS has be re-airing the BBC Austen movies.  I was so disappointed after watching two hours of Persuasion and then the screen froze for the last ten minutes - aaahhh!  For those of you who haven't tried Austen yet, give it a chance.  The speech patterns can be a little challenging at first.  It took a second reading years later for me to really enjoy it.  Elizabeth Bennett has such spunk. 

Frequent Contributor
love2read95
0 Kudos

I just started Pride and Prejudice. I am so excited to read it!!! I'll be sure to check back when I finish it:smileyhappy:

~Love2Read95:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

what do yall think about the whole pride prejudice and zombies ....do you think it was a good or bad idea ...some are saying it ruined a classic and others say that now they can actually get their kids to read austen...

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
ShayneParkinson
0 Kudos

If I had to pick a single favourite author, it would be Jane Austen. I often re-read her novels, and every time I seem to notice something new.

My favourite has changed over the years. it used to be Pride and Prejudice, and that's still a close second, but my very favourite is Persuasion. There's a maturity and quiet strength to Anne Elliot that makes me love her.

I've several adapations I'm fond of, too: the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth P&P, the Emma Thompson S&S, Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma, and the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds Persuasion.

Sentence of Marriage: a tale of Victorian New Zealand.

Sentence of Marriage, A tale of Victorian New Zealand.
Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite!  I don't really like either movie though...

I highly recommend you go find the british show Lost in Austen.  It's hilarious!!!  I watched them all on youtube, but I heard they are on Netflix now too.  Totally worth it!