Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Looking for book suggestions for a 14 yr old guy who hates to read

He is 14 and says that reading makes him sleepy, so he doesn't read.  He has never read a book that captured his interest so much that he couldn't put it down.  When required to read something over the summer, he chose a book for an 8 yr old just so that he could finish it quickly.

Otherwise, he's a very bright kid, with a great sense of humor.

I'm his aunt and I would really like to see him discover the wonder of the world of books. Just once, I'd like him to experience an "un-put-downable" book.

I'm thinking something with adventure, danger, lots of humor, and to keep his attention -- SEX.   A hero with sex on his mind is good enough -- don't need anything raunchy.   I just know him and nothing keeps him interested as much as talk about sex!

Anyone here have any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
GEEna

Re: Looking for book suggestions for a 14 yr old guy who hates to read

You could try The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey.  It is a story about a teenager named Alfred who helps his uncle acquire the legendary sword Excalibur.

Here's the synopsis:

Alfred Kropp was just trying to survive high school when his guardian uncle gets him roped into a suspicious get-rich-quick scheme that changes his life forever: stealing Excalibur—the legendary sword of King Arthur. But after Alfred unwittingly delivers the sword into the hands of a man with enormously evil intentions, he sets off on an unlikely quest to try to right his wrong and save the world from imminent destruction. This gripping, fast-paced, hilarious novel is both a thrilling adventure story and an engaging account of one boy’s coming of age.

This is a series of books.  The other two books in the saga are Alfred Kropp:  The Seal of Solomon and Alfred Kropp:  The Thirteenth Skull.

I read the first book.  I think it might interest your nephew.  It's humorous, there are expensive sports cars, and its about a boy his age.

Hope this helps!

there ain't no rest for the wicked.
Distinguished Scribe
booklover37

You should try The Heir Series... I know the first book is called The Warrior Heir. But I don't remember the next two books' titles. Anyway, he would really love that book. There's lots of action and adventure, and I know a couple of my guy friends really enjoyed it. :smileyhappy:

"...life is a fight just the same, whether you fight it with weapons, or with words. You have to fight for what you believe in, and for the things you want.'"
New User
17_windows_of_oppurtunity

Wat a coincidence! IM A 14 YEAR OLD BOY THAT HATED READING UNTIL 3 MONTHS AGO!

im 14, hated reading until i read 1 book in particular.

sail by james patterson. its a great book. Its about a mom who leaves her new husban to take her 10 year old son, 16 year old daughter, and 18 year old son onto her dead husbands fishing boat to try to re-unite the family. then someone starts subtly attacking their ship. they have to find out how to survive and who ordered the hit on them. its very funny, with references to obnoxiousness from the teens, a know-it-all 10 year old, and a pothead whos habit ends up saving their mother.

"Cross" is a great book that has mystery, murder, sex, and brutality all mixed into a short little novel. it could just do the trick. its about a man known as "the butcher" who kills a detectives wife. hes known for sex, rape, and brutal murders for the mob. hes known for bringing only his scalpal and butchers saw with him. he cuts up his victims, sometimes amputates limbs while the victim is still alive, and takes prized photos afterwards. its very twisted, but very enjoyable.

however, if hes looking for something more "sexy" i would suggest the books "the quickie" and "swimsuit" to him. neither of them have explicit sex scenes in detail, but they mention sex in both.

the quickie is about a woman who believes her husband cheated on her, so she cheats on him with a younger man. she then witnesses her husband brutally murdering him right after they have sex. she then finds out that her husband had no idea that she had an affair. she, being a cop, needs to figure out how they know eachother, and if she should protect her husband, or turn him in. all the while being cautious of having an unstable murderer in the house.

all of the books i listed are actually fairly short. they have a few hundred pages, but they have large font and small pages so i whipped through them fast.

Good luck!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Wat a coincidence! IM A 14 YEAR OLD BOY THAT HATED READING UNTIL 3 MONTHS AGO!

Thank you all for your suggestions!  17_windows, I can't believe you have read all those books in the last three months after years of hating to read.  You give me hope! 

Contributor
SnoM

You could try suggesting the free online novel Arousing Love. It's romance from the boy's point of view and is very sexy for YA. Here's the link:

Arousing Love

Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww

Well The Heir Trilogy as someone said before by Cinda Williams Chima.

The Warrior Heir, The Wizard Heir, The Dragon Heir. It's all pretty epic haha.
He can try Harry Potter series. Although it'll take a while before the good stuff that he likes comes up it's still an awesome read.

But if reading makes him sleepy why not try Audio Books.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

SnoM wrote:

You could try suggesting the free online novel Arousing Love. It's romance from the boy's point of view and is very sexy for YA. Here's the link:

Arousing Love

Thanks for the link, SnoM!   I've never read a book that was freely given away on the internet before.  Is this a new writer who is trying to get some support for publishing later?   I need to make sure that it is a legal download and it is hard to tell from the page you linked me to. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Ah, Ravenclaww...  I am such a Harry Potter fan that I sent him all the Harry Potter books years ago, and he hasn't even finished the first one, though I think he might be reading it this week as his one required "summer book" before he returns to school.   Last year he read one (and only one!  )  of the series I gave him when he was younger-- A Series of Unfortunate Events.   I believe I read each of those books in about an hour, they were so short, and although I thoroughly enjoyed them as an adult  for their humor, the subject matter is really for a kid much much younger than he is. 

Audio books might be a way to go for him, but he really needs to practice reading, because the more you read, the faster you read, and the easier it becomes to later handle dense text that is not so fun at the college level.    That's why I say that I don't care about the content right now-- if sex is all that keeps him awake while reading, then  I'll give him sexy books to read.  Anything to get him to do more reading! 

Does that make sense?

New User
India15

Okay... so I'm a 15 year-old girl, but there's this one book: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

I mostly don't read stories narrated by guys, but I still liked this book a lot.

It's about this 15- year- old boy who gets accepted into this prestigious high school in Manhattan, but after being there for a while gets depressed and thinks about suicide... instead he calls a suicide hot line and they send him in a adult psychiatric wing at the hospital where he stays for five day.

While he's there he meets all these crazy, funny people. It's an interesingly cool book that he might enjoy. idk your nephew, but I loved it. Laughed during the whole book.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

India15 wrote:

Okay... so I'm a 15 year-old girl, but there's this one book: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

I mostly don't read stories narrated by guys, but I still liked this book a lot.

It's about this 15- year- old boy who gets accepted into this prestigious high school in Manhattan, but after being there for a while gets depressed and thinks about suicide... instead he calls a suicide hot line and they send him in a adult psychiatric wing at the hospital where he stays for five day.

While he's there he meets all these crazy, funny people. It's an interesingly cool book that he might enjoy. idk your nephew, but I loved it. Laughed during the whole book.

Thanks for the suggestion, India15!  I'll add it to my now growing collection of titles to tempt him with!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Wat a coincidence! IM A 14 YEAR OLD BOY THAT HATED READING UNTIL 3 MONTHS AGO!

17_windows_of_oppurtunity wrote, in part:

im 14, hated reading until i read 1 book in particular.

sail by james patterson. its a great book. Its about a mom who leaves her new husban to take her 10 year old son, 16 year old daughter, and 18 year old son onto her dead husbands fishing boat to try to re-unite the family. then someone starts subtly attacking their ship. they have to find out how to survive and who ordered the hit on them. its very funny, with references to obnoxiousness from the teens, a know-it-all 10 year old, and a pothead whos habit ends up saving their mother.

17_windows, I'm giving you the prize for recommending the first book I've purchased to tempt him with -- I got him Patterson's Swimsuit after I saw the cover and read the first few chapters.   The beauty of the cover is that it has the bikini body draped over the front which will at least guarantee that he opens the book.  Once he gets it opened the chapters are real short and within a couple of pages there's sex which means that he will read further for more sex, lol...   I'll be sure to let you know how well he likes it, and if he does, he will at least have one author he likes who also happens to have a large number of books to his credit.

Thanks again! 

P.S.  You might be amused to find out that he wants to learn to cook like his dad but has never opened a cook book because it's a book!   So, in addition to the Patterson book, I also got him a cookbook by Hooters. 

Contributor
SnoM
0 Kudos

It is legal (some authors just want people to read their books more than make money from it) 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

SnoM wrote:

It is legal (some authors just want people to read their books more than make money from it) 

Great to hear.  Thanks again for the link!

Wordsmith
Arielle

I definitely think he would like The Hunger Games by Susan Collins. It has action, and some romance but it isnt the mushy gushy stuff, it is a really great book. 

Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Arielle wrote:

I definitely think he would like The Hunger Games by Susan Collins. It has action, and some romance but it isnt the mushy gushy stuff, it is a really great book. 

Thanks for your suggestion, Arielle!  I recall reading a synopsis of that book some time ago and thought the concept was pretty icky, for lack of a better word, but he probably gets into "icky" stuff!

New User
17_windows_of_oppurtunity
0 Kudos

hahahaha! a hooters cookbook, never heard of it, but it would sure grab my attention. and im glad i could help!

Contributor
QueenofTrix

Ok these are books that got me on my obssesion with reading. I hated reading before I got my hands on some of these so here is a list of some of my favorits that have everything your looking for:

-Dragons Blood by Jane Yolen (  Its about a fifteen year old slave who steals a dragon egg and trains her to fight in the ring. It has action, adventure, slight sexuall references, blood, alcohol and all that good stuff )

-Eragon by Christopher Paolini (  It may get a bit boring if hes not at all intersted but once you get past the first few chapters it has everything your looking for. Plus I just plain like the book)

-The City of the Beast  by Isabel Allende ( The whole series is fantastic and also has everything your looking for)

-The Gone Series by Michael Grant( It deals with a town where everyone over the age of fourteen dissappears and there left to fend for themsleves.It switches Point of views but the main character is a fourteen year old boy named Sam Temple.)

-Maximum Ride by James Patterson( The main character is a girl but shes tomboyish enough that it dosnt matter haha and shes hilarious)

Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww

Oh snap how could I forget.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. It's definately a book he might like way different than the movie.

Also, I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle. I saw the movie and it was really good so I'm expecting the book to be even better. I have the book here just haven't started it yet.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

QueenofTrix wrote:

Ok these are books that got me on my obssesion with reading. I hated reading before I got my hands on some of these so here is a list of some of my favorits that have everything your looking for:

-Dragons Blood by Jane Yolen (  Its about a fifteen year old slave who steals a dragon egg and trains her to fight in the ring. It has action, adventure, slight sexuall references, blood, alcohol and all that good stuff )

-Eragon by Christopher Paolini (  It may get a bit boring if hes not at all intersted but once you get past the first few chapters it has everything your looking for. Plus I just plain like the book)

-The City of the Beast  by Isabel Allende ( The whole series is fantastic and also has everything your looking for)

-The Gone Series by Michael Grant( It deals with a town where everyone over the age of fourteen dissappears and there left to fend for themsleves.It switches Point of views but the main character is a fourteen year old boy named Sam Temple.)

-Maximum Ride by James Patterson( The main character is a girl but shes tomboyish enough that it dosnt matter haha and shes hilarious)

Thanks QueenOfTrix!  I'll add your list to mine!  Of all of them, "The Gone Series" sounds the most intriguing to me personally (I've read Eragon).  I'll have to read it!