Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for book suggestions for a 14 yr old guy who hates to read

Ravenclaww wrote:

Oh snap how could I forget.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. It's definately a book he might like way different than the movie.

Also, I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle. I saw the movie and it was really good so I'm expecting the book to be even better. I have the book here just haven't started it yet.

Thanks, Ravenclaww!  Can you tell me more about the plot of those books?

Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww

Well Nick and Norah is about these two teens from Jersey who are in New York and it's basically like they go on this adventure in the city that never sleeps. And they really don't know each other. I don't want to spoil anything so yea haha. It's really good. Rachel Cohn writes the part of Norah and David Levithan (i think its spelt that way) writes the part of Nick.

Beth Cooper is about this geek who at graduation telsl this popular girl he's in love with her and it's basically an adventure about running away from her boyfriend who's in the army and all that. it's funny sexy and all of that stuff he might like.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover

I would try the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. The first book is called 8th Grade Bites. It is in the point of view of a boy vampire and really adventourous.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Ravenclaww wrote:

Well Nick and Norah is about these two teens from Jersey who are in New York and it's basically like they go on this adventure in the city that never sleeps. And they really don't know each other. I don't want to spoil anything so yea haha. It's really good. Rachel Cohn writes the part of Norah and David Levithan (i think its spelt that way) writes the part of Nick.

Beth Cooper is about this geek who at graduation telsl this popular girl he's in love with her and it's basically an adventure about running away from her boyfriend who's in the army and all that. it's funny sexy and all of that stuff he might like.

Thanks for the added description!   I could imagine that he might like both!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

KaylaNicole_MusicLover wrote:

I would try the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. The first book is called 8th Grade Bites. It is in the point of view of a boy vampire and really adventourous.

I like the title of that first book!  I don't know how he feels about vampires, though.  I'll be sure to ask him.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Reader-Moderator
agnijay

Try  "The Arizona Kid." It's really good for guys. It's a coming-of-age novel which talks about a guy who goes to his gay uncle for the summer, and his first love Cara Mae. I actually got asked out for the 2nd time because I introduced that book to a guy I know. (complicated story)

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion, Jaya!  I always appreciate your input in my predicaments!

agnijay wrote:

Try  "The Arizona Kid." It's really good for guys. It's a coming-of-age novel which talks about a guy who goes to his gay uncle for the summer, and his first love Cara Mae. I actually got asked out for the 2nd time because I introduced that book to a guy I know. (complicated story)

New User
booksaremydrugofchoice

flipepd through the answers and got to emphasize:

It's Kind of a Funny Story: Ned Vizzini- depressed kid goes into hospital (not ideal topic but..) gets better. funny and well writen. author himself wrote it after got out of th loony bin himself

not sure about the Chronicles of Vladamire Todd, read it and thought it was pretty bad

my suggestions:

Be More Chill: Ned vizzini-kid wants to be popular,cool, etc. eats special pill. pill hooks on to your brain tells u to be cool. ends up screwing up and infurriating girl of dreams.

Gordon Korman; -Born to Rock-kid finds out his dad is a rock star. kid goes on band tour w/ him    -Juvie Three-kids in juvie are sent to a man who agrees to watch them so they don't have to suffer juvie. man falls off apartment and loses memory. not kids falt. pretend.. u get the idea   -anything else by this author

Patrick Jones; -Nailed and Cheated        Scott Westerfeld-Peeps and The Last Days    Twisted: Laurie halse Anderson

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

booksaremydrugofchoice wrote:

flipepd through the answers and got to emphasize:

It's Kind of a Funny Story: Ned Vizzini- depressed kid goes into hospital (not ideal topic but..) gets better. funny and well writen. author himself wrote it after got out of th loony bin himself

not sure about the Chronicles of Vladamire Todd, read it and thought it was pretty bad

my suggestions:

Be More Chill: Ned vizzini-kid wants to be popular,cool, etc. eats special pill. pill hooks on to your brain tells u to be cool. ends up screwing up and infurriating girl of dreams.

Gordon Korman; -Born to Rock-kid finds out his dad is a rock star. kid goes on band tour w/ him    -Juvie Three-kids in juvie are sent to a man who agrees to watch them so they don't have to suffer juvie. man falls off apartment and loses memory. not kids falt. pretend.. u get the idea   -anything else by this author

Patrick Jones; -Nailed and Cheated        Scott Westerfeld-Peeps and The Last Days    Twisted: Laurie halse Anderson

Wow, booksaremydrugofchoice!  This is your very first post and you decided to help me with it!  I'm very grateful to you, and will add your thoughts to my list!

P.S.  Welcome to the Barnes and Noble book clubs!

Frequent Contributor
michaela27

I would recommend Looking for Alaska by John Green. I think it has a little bit of everything you want, hopefully he would like it.  its from a boys point of view, and this kid decides to go to a boarding school when he's a junior in high school basically just for a new adventure.  he finds a new group of kids to hand out with, and its pretty funny sometimes.  theres also this really pretty girl he becomes friends with. shes smart but also self-destructive.  its also a sad book but its soo good its definately worth reading!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

michaela27 wrote:

I would recommend Looking for Alaska by John Green. I think it has a little bit of everything you want, hopefully he would like it.  its from a boys point of view, and this kid decides to go to a boarding school when he's a junior in high school basically just for a new adventure.  he finds a new group of kids to hand out with, and its pretty funny sometimes.  theres also this really pretty girl he becomes friends with. shes smart but also self-destructive.  its also a sad book but its soo good its definately worth reading!

Sounds interesting, Michaela27!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Frequent Contributor
michaela27
0 Kudos

Your welcome.  It's definately way better than it sounds in my description.  the characters are awesome. i hope he tries it.

New User
17_windows_of_oppurtunity

if you tell any student, boy or girl, middle school or highschool, "vampire" i guarentee over 99% of the time they will think "twilight". so even if it has nothing to do with twilight (which i would assume not) it may not be a wise decision to spend your money only, unless hes really into vampires. just a helpful note

Correspondent
Notjustphysical

Being that im not a guy i m not sure but i guess it depends on what types of books you like but i do know i like to read stories from girls perspective or about girls so here are a few books about guys shattering glass by Gail Giles, its about a guy and his  group of  friends who take on a challange to see how popular they really are by adopting glass ( the school nerd) in there crew  and try to make every one vote for him for most popular to see if there succesful then glass will win if not then they lose. They  see how the other cool people start to act toward him weather theyll acept him witch will make the boys go down in history or if theyll reject him so the give glass a make over, sit with him at lunch, and hang with him, but things take a turn when they later find out that glass knew the plan all along and when hes not voted for what they planned most popular and gets voted for class clown they get pissed and things get worst when glass starts to reveal secrets about the them kids that where so bad they didnt tell one another and glass ends up suffering for his big mouth in the worst eway possible. be more chill by Ned Vizzini,Is about a kid who isnt so popular and has a crush on a girl but he has problems with making conversation and thats whats keeping him away from her and theres a drug going around that he trys to get his hands on but is expensive and he trys away to get it. Fade to black by Alez Flinn, is about a kid with aids  and it tells how he got it. When he ends up in the hospital they start eleminating people from the list of suspects to find out who trashed his car and beat him up so bad he had to go to the hospital and since it was dark its all a mistery. Breaking point by Alex Flinn, is about paul he gets into a rich school by scholarship and every one treats him like trash because hes not rich like them but one day hes invited to the cool crowd but he has to to minor things to get in he takes the offer but when charlie asks paul to do something that could get him in serious trouble like planting a bomb in a classroom he has to decide is being popular really worth it. Breathing under warter by Alex Flinn, is about a guy named nick who gets beat up by his dad but he doesnt tell anyone about it not his best friend or even his girlfriend caitlin who hes in love with but one day he hits her and her mom finds out and take nick to court for a restraining order but even a restraining order can keep nick away from her. and Nothing left to lose By Alex Flinn. is about Micheal who runs away from home after his stepfather continues to hit on his mother and his mother continues to stay with him, but when Micheal finds out his stepfather is dead and that his mother kill  he is pulled back into the passed he once ran away from.Ive read these books and there all good well in my opinion they are all good. hopes this helps

~Love is a poison~
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

17_windows_of_oppurtunity wrote:

if you tell any student, boy or girl, middle school or highschool, "vampire" i guarentee over 99% of the time they will think "twilight". so even if it has nothing to do with twilight (which i would assume not) it may not be a wise decision to spend your money only, unless hes really into vampires. just a helpful note

Thanks for the insight, 17_windows _of_opportunity!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Notjustphysical wrote:

Being that im not a guy i m not sure but i guess it depends on what types of books you like but i do know i like to read stories from girls perspective or about girls so here are a few books about guys shattering glass by Gail Giles, its about a guy and his  group of  friends who take on a challange to see how popular they really are by adopting glass ( the school nerd) in there crew  and try to make every one vote for him for most popular to see if there succesful then glass will win if not then they lose. They  see how the other cool people start to act toward him weather theyll acept him witch will make the boys go down in history or if theyll reject him so the give glass a make over, sit with him at lunch, and hang with him, but things take a turn when they later find out that glass knew the plan all along and when hes not voted for what they planned most popular and gets voted for class clown they get pissed and things get worst when glass starts to reveal secrets about the them kids that where so bad they didnt tell one another and glass ends up suffering for his big mouth in the worst eway possible. be more chill by Ned Vizzini,Is about a kid who isnt so popular and has a crush on a girl but he has problems with making conversation and thats whats keeping him away from her and theres a drug going around that he trys to get his hands on but is expensive and he trys away to get it. Fade to black by Alez Flinn, is about a kid with aids  and it tells how he got it. When he ends up in the hospital they start eleminating people from the list of suspects to find out who trashed his car and beat him up so bad he had to go to the hospital and since it was dark its all a mistery. Breaking point by Alex Flinn, is about paul he gets into a rich school by scholarship and every one treats him like trash because hes not rich like them but one day hes invited to the cool crowd but he has to to minor things to get in he takes the offer but when charlie asks paul to do something that could get him in serious trouble like planting a bomb in a classroom he has to decide is being popular really worth it. Breathing under warter by Alex Flinn, is about a guy named nick who gets beat up by his dad but he doesnt tell anyone about it not his best friend or even his girlfriend caitlin who hes in love with but one day he hits her and her mom finds out and take nick to court for a restraining order but even a restraining order can keep nick away from her. and Nothing left to lose By Alex Flinn. is about Micheal who runs away from home after his stepfather continues to hit on his mother and his mother continues to stay with him, but when Micheal finds out his stepfather is dead and that his mother kill  he is pulled back into the passed he once ran away from.Ive read these books and there all good well in my opinion they are all good. hopes this helps

Thanks for the good description of the books that have been mentioned before and I'll add the rest to my list, Notjust physical

Correspondent
Notjustphysical
0 Kudos

Your welcome any time i read them thought they were good and i recommend  them they are different  from the books i usually read and i liked them even though they were different.:womanvery-happy:)

~Love is a poison~
Inspired Correspondent
Jane_Doe

Look, now I know that I'm not a boy but I am 14 and I have a friend who is pretty much just like your description.  I have had him read these books and he did enjoy them.  Looking for Alaska, might be a little bit sad at the end, but its still hilarious! and An Abundance of Katherines are both by John Green!  They are really good!

"Let the world be torn apart, may our lives be ripped away, simply so that we may be broken souls together."
-Andrea Hansen
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Jane_Doe wrote:

Look, now I know that I'm not a boy but I am 14 and I have a friend who is pretty much just like your description.  I have had him read these books and he did enjoy them.  Looking for Alaska, might be a little bit sad at the end, but its still hilarious! and An Abundance of Katherines are both by John Green!  They are really good!

Reading what you wrote, Jane_Doe, I have this image in my mind of a pretty girl telling a boy who is interested in her to read certain books, which he does because he really wants to be on her good side.    Are you SURE he liked the books and not just you?   :smileyhappy:

Only kidding!  Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I will add them to my list!

Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww

I found the perfect book for him! I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER! Trust me he will read it and want more. There is everything, sex, drinking, driving, fighting, drugs. I mean sometimes it pretty much goes into details and stuff and I'm sure he would like that.

TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink: