Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
craykay090
0 Kudos

Major writer's Block

Okay so my story is about 15 year old Cilla goes to camp, with her "cousins" she later finds out there just really close family friends. She meets a bunch of people and shes going to be best friend with a girl from Australia right now their playing dodgeball but I cant write anything, please help, need ideas badly.

Contributor
hER-sHATTERED-wINGS
0 Kudos

Re: Major writer's Block

give a little more info and maybe i can help. Hmm... What kind of story do you want it to be? Comedy? Drama? So on...?
"wITH sHATTERED wINGS sHE fLEW, bLACK AND cRIMSON uPON hER bACK. sHE dREW iN A dEEP bREATH... AND LEAPT."
Contributor
craykay090
0 Kudos

I was thinking of a comedy, Cilla usally does everything for everyone and in the end i want her to learn that she should think about herself too. Thank you so much for helping!
Contributor
ShyStar
0 Kudos

um.. idk how to help but wen eva u do find sum 2 write remember to be descripted and no confusion .... n 4 d comedy try stuff that r not 2 clique
the past is the past
what happened in it stays in it
if it comes out, theres a reason
Distinguished Scribe
booklover37
0 Kudos

maybe you can post a little bit of your story so i can get an idea of your writing. & i'll try to help you out
"...life is a fight just the same, whether you fight it with weapons, or with words. You have to fight for what you believe in, and for the things you want.'"
Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

is the house of night books really good do they have cussing in them and is there any gore in them and im religious does the books say anything bad about religion
the clouds i can handle but i cant fight an eclipse
jacob black =)

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

shygirlTB wrote:
is the house of night books really good do they have cussing in them and is there any gore in them and im religious does the books say anything bad about religion

I'm really liking them. I just went out to buy Chosen and Untamed today. Since I've only read the first two so far, I can't say that they're morally good or bad yet ... but there is some groping so far. And one of the characters do talk about Christianity in a bad way but that was it so far.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Contributor
ShyStar
0 Kudos

shygirlTB wrote:

I've read the series and well.... It does contain some inappropriate stuff and yes there is cussing. But they are still good.
the past is the past
what happened in it stays in it
if it comes out, theres a reason
Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

thank you for your answers  i will definetlly get the  house of night books right now im reading the summoning by kelley armstong its a really good book is the vampire academy books really good because they sound really good to read
jacob black =)

Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

i just want to ask a few more questions about  house of night books  what kind of inappropiate stuff is in the books  and is there any gore inthe books i am definetly getting the books

jacob black =)

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Well, there's cussing and the authors tend to get into detail about heavy groping but so far they left detail out of any sexual scenes. There is some gore but I don't find it to be all that bad. It doesn't happen that often either.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

ive read 4 so far, it took me to read the second one to get into it, but you get addicted to them realliy fast, the only thing off puting is the slang they use which just sounds really dumb at times, and as you go through the book, there are more sexual scenes i think theres a sex scene in the third or fouth but its still a good series ans the scene isnt like really detailed so give it a go and see what you think
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:i just wanted to ask another question about the house of night books how many times in the books do they talk about religion bad.i havent got the books yet but i will do they have them at walmart so i can get all of them
jacob black =)

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Well ... it's not so bad but at the end of the series they don't talk bad about it anymore. Something happens that changes opinions about religion.

- Edward Cullen
Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

in the house of night books they dont talk about religion bad through the whole house of night series 

jacob black =)

Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

what i meant was in the house of night books do they talk about religion bad  in the house of night marked book and the rest of the series

jacob black =)

New User
brokenpen_tb
0 Kudos

I am facing the same problems with a book I am writing. I get going really good for a while, then I hit a brick wall, so to speak. What I do is take a few days and just brainstorm. NO WRITING. I just think about where the characters are going, who the characters are, what would THEY do in certain situations. Let them make their own decisions.

Maybe make an outline; a play by play of what you want to happen throughout the book. Feelings emotions. It might also help to write out chapters in pieces. You don't necessarily have to go in order with your book. You can write the ending first, then the beginning. Or just random chapters here and then, then once you've got the meat of what you really want, go back and feel in to flush out and make everything tie together.

Hope that helps.

brokenpen_tb