Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985

Marketing advice for a new author...sort of.

Well, I'll get straight to the point on this. I'm publishing a book pretty soon and my editor wants me to start "Marketing" it as of right now. I see her point. It doesn't matter how great any book is if no one knows it exists. I am a pretty big fan of fantasy which led me to start writing in the first place. Mainly because it seemed like a lot of authors were more into making money by writing cliche ridden stories that dragged on for 6 books when they could have been done in two. Anyway, I kinda wrote this story for me and maybe anyone else who would be into reading something a little fresh. So, I've never really put much thought into book publicity. It will be available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble excetera excetera. I'll even have a web page pretty soon, but as far as marketing on my end I am absolutely lost. Any advice?
Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

Re: Marketing advice for a new author...sort of.

well just by doing this you are letting people know :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
pupdog96
0 Kudos

Hand out flyers and stuff. Or if you have a myspace, twitter, facebook, ect. you could talk about it there. what is the book called?????
“Instead of wishing you were someone else, be proud of who you are. You never know who has been looking at you wishing they were you.”
~unknown
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww

Oh I'm always willing to help out an author by buying their book. As long as I get a signed copy lmfao xD Kidding

But yea make an official myspace, hi5, facebook, twitter, webpage anything you can think of for your book and just add people. Don't be afraid or feel discouraged if they don't add you but the best way to put yourself out there is by literally putting yourself out there. Make flyers and put them out in your street on trees or posts. Then expand from there around you're friends houses and such. Near the school in the school.

Think of anything and everything.

Good  luck with your novel. I wish you the best of luck and I can not wait to support you by being one of the first to buy it. xD
TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

James patterson tends to make television and radio commercials. I don't know if that's expensive or not, I'm just saying it seems to work pretty well for him. :smileyvery-happy:

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

you could talk about it here on bn

or basically what everyone is saying

twitter

myspace

facebook

anything like that...

lol but im so with ravenclaww on this one.. signed copy?? hahahaaa rotfl just kidding

so what is this book about????

"We could do pizza."
Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

Well, to answer your question. It's titled "A Hero's Legacy: Shattered Friendship" It involves magic and is set in the middle ages and also has dragon riders (My favorite type of hero). I know some people will think that it's a pathetic rip-off of Eragon at first glance, but it really isn't. Anyway, It revolves around a 17 year old dragon rider named Michael Rinehart. He hasn't had the privalage to grow up alongside the other riders ever since his mother fled the capitol city after the event known as "The First Coming." There were many other riders but like his dad that he never knew they are all gone now. When he gets there ( After meeting his aunt and a few others) he finds out the God like riders are merely kids like himself. He becomes great friends with all of them (8 in total) except for Maxwell.

forgive me for being longwinded but I'm pretty passionate about this.

Michael didn't know his dad, but he has heard stories about how he saved the country.  Unlike Michael howeverMaxwell does know his own father very well. He wants to kill him for taking his mother away from him and branding him the son of the traitor. Needless to say he's had a pretty rough life. Michael is loved and he is hated. They both used to be good friends but Michael doesn't remember any of it. Well, Maxwell's dad (Victor Douglas) along with Duke the minotaur and a necromancer named Ranmar are making their move to finish what ranmar started years ago. The boys are the only real chance that everyone has but their teacher, the last surviving rider of the previous generation, only learned so much himself before disaster struck.

When I wrote this story I had one main agenda that I wanted to stick with. To write a story that readers couldn't predict what would happen next. I don't like cliche's and if I can avoid it I'll do without. If anyone wants to know more about...well anything feel free to ask.

Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

I actually really don't mind doing that for anyone. I wrote this story for the love of it and I am REALLY into getting feedback once it goes on sale. I'm supposed to get 10 copies before it goes on sale and after I give a few to those closest to me I'll have 2 maybe 3 left. I plan on numbering them  thru 10 and hey, maybe a couple of people will get number 9 and 10 with a signature.
Frequent Contributor
samSB
0 Kudos

hey fabian, i was just wondering if it was very hard to get your book published? i ask because i am working on a book myself but i have no idea what comes next after it is completed. any advice?

thanks so much,

samSB

( by the way your book sounds so interesting and i cant wait to read it)

Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

I'm pretty new at this myself so I don't know how much my advice can help. I'll try anyway. First of all there are 3 types of publishing. Trade publishing, vanity and self publishing. Trade publishing is VERY hard to get into. Those are the big guys like random House. They usually only deal with established authors because they have a well known track record and they know that they will make money. For new unknown authors it's practically impossible to get their interest. vanity, is kind like slf publishing except that after you get published you pay for a lot of copies of your book. If you don't sell them yourself ( Think trunk of your car) you've pretty much baught a crapload of books. Now self publishing is what I'm doing. or a while slf publishing was looked down on, but now not so much. What happens with that is you pretty much pay for and supervise the making of your book. You find the editor and approve their work, create or buy a picture for your cover and a bunch of other things. There are numerous companies that help with this so it's not as hard as you think. For example. My publisher "Wheatmark" is a print on demand publisher. They have a staff of trained editors marketing anylist and designers. They handle almost everything that a trade publisher would except I am the final approving authority to any changes they make. The bigger guys take most of the "Rights" to your story so you have very little control over what they do. they could change the title, the cover, paragraphs and even hold your book until they feel the time is right to release it. Anyway, I would research the major publishing houses and mail in COPIES I stress COPIES of your manuscript for them to review. Oh, and I'm pretty sure you need a book agent as well. Don't get discouraged if they turn you down. J.K. Rowling, Stephen King and a lot of other great authores were turned down many many times before someone gave them a chance. For myself, I just want my story out there. If people love it then a major publisher will contact me and make me an offer. Since i still maintain ALL the rights to my work and I have a non-exclusive contract I still have the option of going the trade route. Be aware that self publishing can get pretty expensive. Editing alone for me was .02 cents a word that really added up at 94,000 words. So be prepared to spend a little money to make your book happen. Tye trade guys handle all tthe expenses themselves so you can see why they're so picky. All in all it's your choice. If you want to go big find yuorself an agent and keep on submitting your manuscript. All you need is one shot and I'm sure if you're persistent you'll get it. I hope that helped.

Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

OK fabian your book sound good, and ill give it a try! (hehe i love dragons, i mean theyre dragons!) i wish you luck and god bless. and thx for the publishing advice, i was wondering too.

now marketing, i agree with whats said about, create pages, grab peoples attention. just tell people about it, get them interested! start with family and friends, and ask them to pass it on. and continue telling people. youve cought all our attention :smileywink:

"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

oooo! i just read the exerpt in the fantast book club and this book is so on my to read list.
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Frequent Contributor
samSB
0 Kudos

thank you sooo much for all of your help and i will try not to get dicouraged.

thanks again,

samSB

Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

I've got a quick question that I feel would best be answered by a teen. My book contains a bit of blood and some pretty detailed fight scenes. Nothing rediculously gory like guts falling out or what-not, but I'm still wondering if a knife through the heart just may be a little too much... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, or maybe it just means I'm turning into an overprotective parent. (sigh) I feel old now.
Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

XDDD that's funny. I've read so many gory books that barely anything freaks me out. :/ I think that's fine, but I don't know what age group your going for. Teen I know, but 12 and up or 14 and up or 16 and up? The 12 and up books tend to edge away from gore, but the others would be fine I think.
"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

My editor ecomended this book for readers with "some" highschool education. i don't really want it to be an adult book, but at the same time I don't want it to bee too childish. i'd say 16 would be my ideal age group.
Inspired Correspondent
Ravenclaww
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fabian1985 wrote:
I've got a quick question that I feel would best be answered by a teen. My book contains a bit of blood and some pretty detailed fight scenes. Nothing rediculously gory like guts falling out or what-not, but I'm still wondering if a knife through the heart just may be a little too much... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, or maybe it just means I'm turning into an overprotective parent. (sigh) I feel old now.

Lol don't worry. It's all fine. I thought the same thing when I was writing my story.

The king demands his soldiers to capture babies and put them in a pile in the middle of this village. And then he burns them alive. It's pretty descriptive about how the mothers react and such. It was hard to write and I had some people shun me about it but in the end it's worth it. Gore and blood and fighting is what grabs the readers attention.

I also want to say Thank You. I haven't written in months but just reading what you're saying is giving me inspiration to write again and I feel all of these ideas rushing to my head haha. I had writers block.

And your story sounds awesome. I tried the whole dragon thing with Eragon but it was a let down. Perhaps your story can pick it up for me. Again good luck xD

Oh and don't worry about what it's reccomended to. Books are always like that. Like Harry Potter was a kids book but it turned out EVERYONE loved it. Who knows what may happen with yours.

Message Edited by Ravenclaww on 08-21-2009 01:08 PM
TheSubtleChronicler.blogspot.com

Check it out :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
samSB
0 Kudos

fabian, i wouldnt worry about the gore and blood. look at today's society and whats on television. what is socially exceptable is something that changes all of the time and i understand why you might be a little about worried the age group who might get there hands on your book. it might put your mind at ease if it says somewhere in your book or on the cover of you book what the age demagraphic is for cofusions sake. i hope that helps.

-samSB                    

Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

I think that if you went to a local book store in your town, and did an author signing once the book was released that would be a huge thing for promoting your book.  A local author did that at our Waldens, and I was really interested because it really shows aspiring young authors that they can be successful at it too.  But ya, what others have said about Facebook and so on is a good idea. 

As for the gore, don't worry about it.  Writing "he was stabbed through the heart" really isn't that graphic.  It's once you get into describing blood and organs spilling out that it gets a little more mature. 

And ya Raven has a good point.  I haven't written in months and I was really passionate about my writing.  This thread definitely re-inspired me.  Oh and I hate Eragon with a passion, and I'm glad that you weren't deterred to write a Dragon rider type story.  The whole genre's overshadowed by Eragon.  It sounds really good, and I'll definitely read it. Good luck on your promoting! 

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Frequent Contributor
Fabian1985
0 Kudos

Whohooo! I just checked online at www.aheroslegacy.com and it says "Welcome To:aheroslegacy.comThis Domain is Reserved - Web Site is Coming Soon"

Needless to say I am frickin excited! I know it's not much but I get excited easily. In case you're lost I spoke to my marketing anylist and she told me she was reserving the site for me a while ago. Okay, now that that's over I guess I can go back to writing now. later!