Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ViolinFreak
0 Kudos

Maximum Ride

Hi, I'm Megan. I was wondering if anyone had read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. They're about six kids- or at least, 98% kid (2% bird) who grew up in a cruel laboratory where they were designed to be super-strong, super-light, and super-fast. On the ground, and in the sky. The trilogy (I think it will stay a trilogy) recounts, mainly in Max's- the oldest- point of view, the flock's adventures escaping the School and finding out who their family really is.

I love them. They're like a movie- on paper. They remind me of that, anyway. You know, the rush you get when you're on the edge of your seat...

What I like about Patterson is that he makes you feel like you're a part of Max and her flock's adventures; only a truly gifted writer can do that, and I admire him for his work.

If you liked Maximum Ride, read Artemis Fowl, The Magician's Nephew, Welcome to the Ark, and Fablehaven. And even if you haven't, you'll love them anyway! :smileyhappy:

-Megan
-Megan
"The doors of wisdom are never shut"
Benjamin Franklin
New User
keeperofknowledge
0 Kudos

Re: Maximum Ride

I've read all three of the books in Patterson's Maximum Ride series, and I love them. The story is excellent and keeps the reader interested, but what I like the most is the chapter lengths. As a teacher of eighth-grade students, the number one selling point for these books for me has been the two- and three-page chapters. My reluctant readers love that the chapters are so short and are often surprised to come back to school a day or two later having read a quarter, third or half the book without realizing it. Yes, the story is good, but I'm convinced that the short chapters really help. I'm an avid reader, but I know that I seem to read books with shorter chapters much more quickly than others. Maybe we just get too bogged down in long chapters. I don't know. At any rate, I loved the series and am sad that it's at its end (although there does seem to be room to write more if Patterson chooses to revisit these books sometime later).
Contributor
bookworm48837
0 Kudos

I have to agree. I am only in the eighth grade and when trying to read a book and having to stop mid-chapter it is seriously frustrating! And i am also sad to see the trilogy to come to an end. :smileysad:
~bookworm48837~
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

Is to bad that the series has to come to an end. Trust me on the fact that I really know that it is completly irritating that you have to stop in the miidle of a chapeter to do hamework or go to bed or something. I've been dealing with the problem for five years. I'm in ninth grade so I only get in like a half an hour reading each night.
Baker
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I've read this series, and the story line is good, but I HATE Max. She is so stuck up! Coincidence has it, I'm actually in my 8th group book club and we're discussing this book tomorrow.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
PlaySoccer247
0 Kudos

i love the books and there is a fourth one comming out! and the movie is due to come out next year! Who's you favorite charactor?
Don't Be an LBR (jk)
Frequent Contributor
PlaySoccer247
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Have you read the Mediator Series By Meg Cabot? Theres 6 of them and they are second favorite next to Max Ride
Don't Be an LBR (jk)
Contributor
booksong
0 Kudos

Maximum Ride is awesome! I can honestly say I can't pick a favorite character...but I love Max's narration. So hilarious at so many parts! I love the something really crazy or life threatening can be happening, and yet there are still funny moments thrown in, sometimes right in the middle of a fight scene!
Books may well be the only true magic.
---Alice Hoffman

SO TRUE!!!
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

how could you say that? she is the total leader, and she has to deal with saving the dang world, but she's not just like "oh no, i'm not pretty enough" like someone i read about in the princess diaries *cough*Mia*cough*.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

hprocks: haven't seen you around the HP book club in quite some time... come back! it's a party.
The humor in Maximum Ride just isn't my type. To me, it sounds like Patterson is trying to be funny, but not succeeding. It's really corny. That's probably why I don't like it. And the books confuse me so much, and you want to know what happened at the end of the book, but you don' twant to waste your time reading the next one, so you usually end up picking up an online summary or skimming through the book after borrowing from a friend.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
hprocks: haven't seen you around the HP book club in quite some time... come back! it's a party.
The humor in Maximum Ride just isn't my type. To me, it sounds like Patterson is trying to be funny, but not succeeding. It's really corny. That's probably why I don't like it. And the books confuse me so much, and you want to know what happened at the end of the book, but you don' twant to waste your time reading the next one, so you usually end up picking up an online summary or skimming through the book after borrowing from a friend.

sorry, i know i haven't been on in a while. i'll try to be on more, because i still love harry! going to post more stuff, bye!

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

ViolinFreak wrote:
Hi, I'm Megan. I was wondering if anyone had read the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. They're about six kids- or at least, 98% kid (2% bird) who grew up in a cruel laboratory where they were designed to be super-strong, super-light, and super-fast. On the ground, and in the sky. The trilogy (I think it will stay a trilogy) recounts, mainly in Max's- the oldest- point of view, the flock's adventures escaping the School and finding out who their family really is.

I love them. They're like a movie- on paper. They remind me of that, anyway. You know, the rush you get when you're on the edge of your seat...

What I like about Patterson is that he makes you feel like you're a part of Max and her flock's adventures; only a truly gifted writer can do that, and I admire him for his work.

If you liked Maximum Ride, read Artemis Fowl, The Magician's Nephew, Welcome to the Ark, and Fablehaven. And even if you haven't, you'll love them anyway! :smileyhappy:

-Megan

i completely agree!! about everything you said, basically. oh, and my name's megan, too!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

They make me feel left out! It's like, they have all their cute little handshakes and I'm an outsider on the sidelines. That's one of the reasons I don't like them.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Contributor
amy_faith
0 Kudos

I LOVED THE SERIES! They are my favorite books out of hundreds i've read. These books were suspenseful and funny and I'm in love with them. I am so sad that James Patterson isn't writing anymore. This series is the best ever!
"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger."
Contributor
kitkatt728
0 Kudos

I love this series....the Series would be so cool as a movie!!!
Frequent Contributor
Baker
0 Kudos

it might be but you have to think about how it will effect your view on the books as well.
Baker
Contributor
edwardsvampiregirl
0 Kudos

true true....but it would be good to see the book turned into a movie. i wonder who would play fang?????? o_____O???
"You are EXACTLY my brand of heroin"
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

kitkatt728 wrote:
I love this series....the Series would be so cool as a movie!!!

i completely agree-- this should so be a movie!

"Nerd pride!!!"
Contributor
mvenus929
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It's not over. There's a fourth book coming out in March, I believe. It's called The Final Warning. You can read an excerpt of it here:
http://www.parade.com/features/james-patterson-excerpt.html

Message Edited by mvenus929 on 12-18-2007 02:20 PM
Contributor
booksong
0 Kudos

There is actually a movie in the works, but it is still in pre-production and no one has been officially cast. It might be released sometime in 2009..maybe later.
Books may well be the only true magic.
---Alice Hoffman

SO TRUE!!!