Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lilyblue
0 Kudos

May I have some book reconmendations?

[ Edited ]

I love the stories that reel you in, within the first paragraph.  A good page-turner that you never want to put down.  Ones that always leave you guessing what's going to happen next.  I haven't discoved a prefence to point of view yet.  I really like the stories that have something paranormal in them.  I've read things like A certain slant of light, cirque du freak series, Twilight Saga, The Water mirror, Touch the Dark, Sunshine, Elsewhere, Everworld, the blue blood series, The Harry Dresden Flies, The Dragon's Keep, ect.  I also like the books where the main character doesn't what they are capable of yet.  But that seems like a repeating theme to alot of books.

I'm still trying to find that book that makes me say,"Wow!", the one that you get emotionally attached to.   Any sugguestions?

Message Edited by lilyblue on 07-06-2009 07:35 PM
New User
Mary-Claire
0 Kudos

Re: May I have some book reconmendations?

Pride and Prejudice, no paranormal but it does reel you in from the first paragraph,
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters"  (first paragraph)

Give it a try, it might not seem like something you would like at first but I think you would enjoy it and it doesn't take long to read. 

New User
Mary-Claire
0 Kudos

The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe

The Awakening by Donna Boyd Both great paranormal books.
Frequent Contributor
I_luv_Jace
0 Kudos

The Mortal Instrument Series

-City of Bones

-City of Ashes

-City of Glass

This series definitely reels you in and the characters are awesome and they are definitely one of a kind. If you liked Emmett in Twilight then you'll love Jace one of the the main characters  and his and Clary's romance cause there are some shockers in the first book about their relationship that you'll never believe what you just read!!

The Morganville Vampire series

-Glass Houses

-Dead Girls Dance

There are 4 more books in the series and the seventh is coming out in November. These are a quick read but they're really good and the characters have extremely different personality,but they all fit together and if read these make sure you try to get a few at a time or the next in the series before you finish the one your reading cause the author will leave you HANGING!!!

~*SoFtBaLl LoVeR#23*~
New User
KC_Gibson
0 Kudos

You'd definitely like The Summoning and The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong. They're fantasy mysteries, and while I usually don't go for that kind of thing I had a hard time putting them down.
Contributor
xocutiegirl65xo
0 Kudos

YOU MUST READ PERFECT CHEMISTRY.... IT IS THE BEST BOOK EVER ( AND IM A VER PICKY READER).
Inspired Correspondent
CHEYtheBOOK_LOVER
0 Kudos

The Mortal Instruments series.. by Cassandra Clare. There are 3 books.

Somebody already suggested them. THEY ARE AMAZING!! there is a big twist, like before mentioned but you just have to keep reading... AND THE BEST PART FOR YOU! they are all already out, NO WAITING!

I'm a book nerd.
I like making my friends into book nerds.
Contributor
EdHardyGirl

Vampire Diaries By L.J Smith.

Blue Blood's By Melissa De La Cruz.

Jessicas Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.

Fendi, Ferragamo and Fangs.

Guilty Pleasures.

Undead and Unwed.

Sookie Stackhouse Series.

Platinum

Contributor
EdHardyGirl
0 Kudos

Jinx By Meg Cabot
Contributor
EdHardyGirl
0 Kudos

The Good Ghouls Guide to Getting Even by Julie Kenner
New User
nononewday
0 Kudos

Seeing as you seemed to have liked the Twilight Series, another good pick, with a similar plo line is Evermore by Alyson Noel. It has romance, immortality, and the main character really transforms as the book progresses. It is good for a quick read, an if you like the whole forbiden, undying love then this is a good book for you! Another suggestion is The Uglies by Scott Westerfeild is supposed to be good, although I myself have never read it, but it has been suggested to me by many close literary inclined friends of mine. Lastly, I would suggest that you read Revealers by Amanda Marrone. It's not as good as I would have hoped, mostly it's more of a light hearted story, but it has major plots twists, and some romance. It's better for a quick read, but if you are looking for more long-term I would, ofcourse suggest the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. It may seem kinda lame, but I've read all of them, and the are quite possibl the best books in the world!!! 
Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

wicked lovely series melissa marr

luxe series anna godberson

den of shadows series amelia atwaterrhodes

vampire diaries LJ smith

NIght world series LJ smith

Need Carrie jones

mortal instruments series cassandra clare 

blue blood series melissa de la cruz 

jane eyre charlotte bronte 

rebecca daphne du mauvier

house of night series P.C. and Kristin Cast

Sisters of Isis series Lynne Ewing 

Darkest Powers series kelly armstrong

Skinned Robin Wasserman

13 reasons why jay asher

Pretty Little Liars series sara shepard

Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

The Pretty Little Liars are a "tribrid" (a mix of 3 distinct "things", in this case, book genres)-Gossip Girl (posh girl fiction), suburbia (fiction), and suspense (fiction).  It's a book series that dials up the tension and doesn't stop until the end.

Artemis Fowl (the series) kicks in and doesn't stop until the end.

The Gemma Doyle trilogy is a true mix of suspense, romance, Victoriana, magic, and coming-of-age, and it's not a flop.

Hope this helps.

New User
rachel13
0 Kudos

1. The Private series by Kate Brian is a very good romance mystery series,

2. When it happens by Susan Colasanti,

3. Deadly Little Secretby Laurie Stolarz

4. Amatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky(this story is so funny i could not put it down i had to force myself to go to sleep. it is a little sexual at times so if your not into that then this is not the story for you.)

5. cracked up to be by Courtney Summers (again is funny but some sexual content.)

6. Perfect Chemistry. (i forget who it is by. but it is great its about a popular girl and a gang member and how they fall in love.)

7. Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz. 

Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruz

Revelation by Melissa De La Cruz

8. Be more Chill by Ned Vizzini (this is a great story by it has alot of harsh language, sex, and drug use)

9. Jessicas Guide to dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Correspondent
pupdog96
0 Kudos

You should read ttyl, ttfn, and l8r g8r! They are surprising in a lot of spots and you can't put the book down!! 

“Instead of wishing you were someone else, be proud of who you are. You never know who has been looking at you wishing they were you.”
~unknown
New User
dc_99
0 Kudos

It's Kind of A Funny Story, that book reeled me in not in the first paragraph, but more like the first few pages. The book is about a depressed pot smoker named Craig Gilner. He nearly tries to kill himself, but gets scared of dying and checks himself into a mental facility. It is there where he learns that you must live life to the fullest and to enjoy living. I highly recommend this book but it is a little slow, but after the first 10 pages, you wont want to put the book down. (There is sexual content)
New User
Richard_99
0 Kudos

A book that I recommend is the book "Stuck in Neutral" its a spine tingilling book about a 14 teen-year-old kid that can't move or can't speak, but can hear what everyone is saying and has a really good memory. One day he hear that his day is planning to kill him. He tells you his life story and that in the past what his dad would do with his brother and sister. But at the end it leaves you hanging.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

That sounds really good!

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"