Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Midnight_Reader
0 Kudos

NEED NEW BOOKS TO READ

Hey,

I am desperately in need of some new books to read I love Science Fiction/Fantasy, but am no enemy to the Twilight Saga. I enjoy the writings of James Patterson, J. K. Rowling, Jenny Nimmo, Angie Sage, C.S. Lewis, Justin Somper, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, and Scott Westerfeld. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Midnight_Reader

Contributor
-Emily-
0 Kudos

Re: NEED NEW BOOKS TO READ

Have you ever read the mortal instruments series? I thought they were good.

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

yeah The Mortal Instruments series were good

-Emily- wrote:

Have you ever read the mortal instruments series? I thought they were good.

Contributor
Megtall
0 Kudos

Re: Great YA Books to Read

Beautiful Creatures is really good (I'm reading it right now).  I've heard Hush, Hush is good, but I haven't started reading my copy yet. 

Here are some of the titles I've read recently that I really liked:

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

Need - Carrie Jones

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Deadly Little Secret - Laurie Stolarz

Uninvited - Amanda Marrone

Lament - Maggie Stiefvater

Coffeehouse Angel - Suzanne Selfors

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Namaste.
Meg
New User
MRB13
0 Kudos

Divine by Mistake is amazing!

Contributor
dangerouswithcookies
0 Kudos

Re: Great YA Books to Read

shiver was Amazing!!!!

Frequent Contributor
memento_mori1
0 Kudos

i second or triple the reconmendation for The Mortal instruments series

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

I would read The Mortal Instuments, The blue is for nightmares series, kissed by an angel and dark secrets 1, night world series, dark visions, wicked lovely, and the mediator.

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

you should read skinned by robin wasserman and the sequel crashed

also

the summoning by kelly armstrong and the sequel the darkest powers

New User
Stella_Soliz
0 Kudos

I would recommend anything written by Ted Dekker. He writes amazing suspense thrillers and Christion fiction. My personal favorite is Showdown, but once you read one of his books, you really must read the others because they all intertwine. There are the Paradise Books - Showdown, Saint, Sinner, House and Skin; the Circle Trilogy - Black, White, Red and Green which just came out; and the Lost Books - Chosen, Infidel, Renegade, Chaos, (Lunatic and Elyon are due to come out in 2010). Hope that helped.

P.S: I also recommend the Mortal Instruments Series

- Stella Soliz

Contributor
Tay_Tay94
0 Kudos

i loved the book wings. i can't remember who its by but its a great book!!!!

Contributor
TheOnlyVIT
0 Kudos

who is the author of the mortal instruments series? and what is it about? how long is the series?

thanks!

TheOnlyVIT

"Harry, don't go picking a row with Malfoy, don't forget, he's a prefect now, he could make life difficult for you..."
"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?" said Harry sarcastically.
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

TheOnlyVIT wrote:

who is the author of the mortal instruments series? and what is it about? how long is the series?

thanks!

TheOnlyVIT

The Author is Cassandra Clare and here's the synopsis of The City of Bones...

Their hidden world is about to be revealed....

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

The series has three books The city of bones, The city of ashes, and the city of glass

I would highly reccomend them as i know many others would too.

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

New User
Kayla13
0 Kudos

I would read the Host, The Maximum Ride Series, The Hunger Games Trilogy ( I advise you to read this!), Uglies Trilogy, and The Hour Glass Door.

Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

The Mortal Instruments Series is good.  I would definitely read it.  DO NOT READ 'NEED'.  Save yourself the disapointment.  It sucked.  Talk about amateaur writing.  The plot was horrible and the romance moved way too fast and had no foundations.  Pixies and werewolves yet no other fantasy creatures?  Ya.  Just don't waste your money buying it.  Hopefully the sequal will be better.  Or hopefully the writing style has improved. 

As for books you SHOULD read I agree with The Darkest Powers Series by Kelly Armstrong.  Amazing books.  I'm finding lately that I'm getting over YA fantasy.  I suggest some adult fantasy.  Don't let the "adult" classification scare you off.  They're not like adult romance novels.  *cringes*  Some series I have read so far are the Study series by Maria V. Snyder and her Glass series as well.  She also has a new YA fic series coming out as well.  She's an amazing author.  Definitely check out her books.  I also recomend Brent Weeks.  I'm in love with his Dark Angel series.  Amazing story and characters and has a little bit of everything.  Strongly recommend them. 

I can't really think of any other YA fic that is an absolute MUST READ.  At least none that hasn't already been mentioned.  Hopefully you find some good new books.  Good luck.  :smileyhappy:

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Contributor
TheOnlyVIT
0 Kudos

Okay, this might be completely out there.

I just finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. The rest of his books are good too. I realize you were looking for YA it sounded, but I'm kind of intermeidiate, and I read all of those. They're super good, and they're among my favorite books!!!

"Harry, don't go picking a row with Malfoy, don't forget, he's a prefect now, he could make life difficult for you..."
"Wow, I wonder what it'd be like to have a difficult life?" said Harry sarcastically.
Contributor
TheOnlyVIT
0 Kudos

Oh and thanks for the synopsis on The City of Bones!!!! I read that and The City of Ashes, but never got to Glass. But while I was reading it, it was really good!!!

Contributor
Godric
0 Kudos

I just read Right behind you by gail giles and shade's children by garth nix both very good reads im 21 male and still enjoyed them  '

hunger games series is always a great read as well