Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Neal Shusterman & Nancy Farmer

are really great authors. Have any of you read their works? What did you think of them?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: Neal Shusterman & Nancy Farmer

Didn't Shusterman write...? Let me think...downsiders, was it called? Begins with this guy about to commit suicide, and is taken "under" by the "downsiders" into the depths of the subway?

am I write?
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Yes you are...admittedly NOT his best work.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
New User
iRock14
0 Kudos

OK, i haven't read it yet, but, Everlost sounds really kool! hav u red it and if so, tell me about it.
Don't Blink, Life Goes Faster Than You Think
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:
are really great authors. Have any of you read their works? What did you think of them?

I totally recommend both authors' books. I absolutely fell in love with Nancy Farmer's sci fi novel, The House of the Scorpion, which is about a boy who is a clone and is treated less than human by the people who own him. I can't do it justice by describing it here, but it's amazing!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I read that book to and thought ti was probably Farmer's best...along with The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm. Shusterman's best books were Full Tilt and The Schwa Was Here.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

New User
penmage
0 Kudos

Neal Shusterman's new book, Unwind, is amazing!
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
lol...I know a guy who would undoubtedly kill you for that comment. He adored that book. It was okay...peronslaly, never finished it.

what didn't you like?

ooh...I meant this for Jaya. and her dislike of downsiders. sorry, forgot to click quote.

Message Edited by ABI on 11-29-2007 07:36 PM
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Well, it was a book club book in 5th grade for me, and even than I found the book childish. I also thought the guy was taking advantage of the girl, and she was responding inaccurately. I mean, what kind of guy takes a girl into a sewer, makes out with her, and she ENJOYS it?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
MEEEE! I think it's romantic - in a ridiculous, exciting way. lol.

But yes, it was rather immature. not that I remember it at all, but I'll take your word. :smileyhappy:

but of course he'd have to be very good looking to make up for the atmosphere. :smileywink:

Message Edited by ABI on 11-30-2007 05:39 PM
New User
bookluver4va13
0 Kudos

Has Anyone Read House Of The Scorpion

I think it is an awesome book for people who may or may not like Science Fiction!! Plz Reply!!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Re: Has Anyone Read House Of The Scorpion

I agree, I do NOT like Science Fiction, and I still thought on a scale 0-5 this book was a 4.7.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼