Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Need teenager help with a book!

Hi everyone,

I need some teenage input for a book I'm writing. Think of something you absolutely have to have for school (your choice not the school's). Now suppose another student managed to get that item banned (and the ban was supported nationally so you couldn't petition it), how would you treat (or want to treat) that student? What would you do? What would you say? (to others about it, or to the person directly.) Would you be confrontational or just silently upset? I need several different ideas but I want them to be plausible with how teens really would react. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
worldslibrarian
0 Kudos

Re: Need teenager help with a book!

I would probably be quietly pissed. I'm not much for confrontation so I would probably try sneaking the itam into school, depending on what it was.
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Sneaking the item in--didn't think of that one yet! Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
HPlover7
0 Kudos

see how my friends thought of the ban. how do they look at it? sneaking it is probably the most likely option for me!

Goonies never say die! 
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Okay,here's a new twist. Suppose you weren't 100% certain who got the item banned but everyone was talking about one person in particular. Would you sneak in the item and risk letting that person see it in order to discover if they were the one squealing? Or would you avoid them entirely?
Frequent Contributor
jess-ily-edward
0 Kudos

For me I would really want too find out who it is. So I probably would risk it to see who. Butt then again it depends on your character. what kind of person they are. If there quiet then they probably wouldnt be like me. I would confront the person. If I found out who they are.
-Jess.
Frequent Contributor
Bookwrm54
0 Kudos

Honestly, I'd sneak it in. And I'd probably also go confront the person, even if it was only a rumor. Then again, my temper's not the best...
Dream, cry, hope, love.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

So there are a couple of you who would confront. How would you do it? Privately or publicly? And if you have a temper that would be fantastic! I need all kinds of ideas and reactions to play with. I really appreciate this help!
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

It really depends on what the item was... I mean, I'm not into cell phones and I don't bring my iPod to school, so if these were banned it wouldn't really annoy me. Then again, that's just me. Now, if they banned having books or calculators on campus, that would tick me off. Not that they would ever do that, though....

However, my school did place a ban on iPods last year and everyone was so mad. But the school police didn't really enforce it, so people brought them anyway. By the end of the year, our 'student voice' program had petitioned the administration for iPod rights and they allowed us a trial period. Everyone was so glad that they could bring music again that they behaved :smileyhappy: and now we can have iPods again!

I don't know if this will help your story at all because this was the principals & teachers that banned the iPods, not a particular student, but I think the previous suggestion of sneaking the contraband in was right on the mark.

Hope that scenario helped, if only a little bit!

A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks for mentioning the "school police" since that's another thing I wasn't taking into consideration. And that just might help me out some more with the climactic part.

Here's another thing you guys could help me out with. School Dances. Never went to any when I was your age but I need to stick the climax of this scenario into one. Tell me about dances if you've been to one. Would you use the cover of a dance to confront the student in question (if you're confrontational)? How would you behave towards them if you weren't going to confront them?

Thanks again for your feedback!
Frequent Contributor
jess-ily-edward
0 Kudos

I would most definitly confront them in public. I would love too put them on the spot. It makes everything wayy more dramatic than it really has too be. and I like to be a dramatic person. ha.

<3
-Jess.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I am aiming for some good drama with this scene as it has to be strong enough to lead into the next one.

Let's switch sides now. Suppose you were the one who issued the ban, it was supposed to be kept secret that you were responsible but now the secret seems to be leaking out everywhere and it seems like all eyes are turning to you. How would you deal with it? What would be the most humiliating and horrible way someone could confront you about this--something so bad that you would actually not go to school the next day no matter what anyone said or did?

I need some really good ideas for this one. The scene will be a school dance so think along those lines.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Just reposting to put this back up on the first page! This is a very prolific board! Still need help if anyone's willing to give more input. The book is almost done; I'm just making my details better. And yes, you will be acknowledged.

By the way, just in case you were wondering, the book is a science fiction-fantasy. The scenes I'm needing your help with are in the first third of the book. The setting is Earth in the near future for this part. So granted, a lot of the scenery and technology will be different from what you know now which is why I haven't gone off into specifics on things. What I'm looking for are the human reactions and actions.

Thanks again for your input. It's more valuable than you know!
Distinguished Correspondent
esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

I don't know if a dance would be the most dramatic scence for me..Maybe like an assemble or a homecoming like whoever confronts whoever steals the microphone and tells everyone...I don't know. Maybe you should read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. It seems like it is on a similar subject base. Well at least check out the summery (though it doesn't do it justice) Hope I helped!
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

So--the general vote seems to be for confrontation and that public confrontation would be right up their alley. Wow, you guys are braver than I would have been. I do have to stick with a dance because the issue of dancing is a source of major conflict to one of the main characters. Oh, and can anyone tell me what the last dance of the year generally is? It's not prom is it? (Think high school.) Broadcasting the information over the microphone would be very humiliating for the person who placed the ban. Would the adults there allow something like that though? What if you had to be more subtle to avoid attracting negative adult attention to yourself? I also need lots of good ideas on small confrontational ways to bug the suspected person. I've thought of a blurb in the yearbook and of course people staring at them strange, but what are some more personal confrontational ways to get your anger across?
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

I'm going to reply to the last three of your posts, first about the dance, then about turning it around, then about why teenagers want to help (which isn't your point, but I want to talk about it). So, here goes...

School dances, these days, have lots of loud music (usually rap or R&B, in my part of the country) and pretty close dancing. Basically, our school dances consist of pounding music that just won't leave your ears until you're about a block away, and mob of teenagers jamming out. And a mob means 500 kids squished into a little bit less than a basketball court size piece of floor. When you say confrontation in a dance, it makes a lot of sense to me, because people are surrounded by their friends, pumped up by music, and in a dark, sweaty room. I can see somebody getting really pissed and pushing somebody into the crowd of dancers, so hard that it dominoes and everybody falls over. There's a silence where only the music can be heard, and then a fight breaks out.

Of course, it all depends on the size and gender of the attacker and the person who is attacked. If I (a short girl) were jumped by a tall boy, I would run away. But if your person-who-got-the-thing-banned is tall, they would probably fight back. Personally, I would be scared and it wouldn't take more than a few threats to keep me from coming to school the next day. It really is a gender thing, though. If the person being confronted is a girl (in general) I would say they would be scared enough to stay away if threatened. A boy, I'm not so sure on though, as I am not one. However, the boys who have fights at school feel cool because they disrupted the peace. I don't really know your story though - it all depends on that.

Another note on school dances - nobody wears shoes anymore (at least, not girls). We take of our shoes, put them to the side, and dance in our bare feet. I don't know if this will hold true the little time into the future that the books take place in, but it might add some dimension if you choose to include it.

Anyway, teenagers like to help when we know that we're actually helping. A lot of people picture teenagers as self-absorbed sorts, while we are really only self-absorbed because we're allowed to be. Nobody usually asks us for real help, because a lot of people think we don't want to help out. Me, I think it's fun to know that we can make a difference. Sometimes it seems like we waste 16 years of our lives waiting to be able to help out in this world, and that isn't how it should be.

Well, good luck with your finishing touches! And, if you post again do tell if it's a catfight or a boy brawl that you are envisioning, because I think that makes a difference.
A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

Just noticed I was a little behind the boat: I didn't scroll down to see your last post! :smileytongue:

A few answers:
Prom is usually the last dance of the school year. At our school, the Junior House puts it on and only Juniors and Seniors can go (you probably know this).

While broadcasting over the microphone would be embarassing, you're right in assuming that the teachers would stop it. It depends, though. We have a talent show near the end of school. Somebody doing a talent could tell everybody while they are supposed to be performing - if they want to be detentioned by the principal. If they don't care about their self-preservation, they just might.

Other ideas for small barbs might be posts on a social networking site, an editorial in the school newspaper (or even a not-too-pointed article), posters with the information scattered throughout the halls, gossip written on bathroom stalls, notes in that person's locker, stealing their books, or breaking open their locker (which is really not all that hard, not that I would know), grafitti. (Truly, the funniest things I see are vandalism. Spray paint can be useful to some people.) Like you said, somebody could write something nasty in that person's yearbook, or draw in it before they even got it. But, I don't think the teacher would allow an blurb to be printed in the actaul yearbook except for if she/he were mad about the ban, too.

Ummmm, have you considered that somebody at the dance could be a bit drunk, or at least impaired, when they start afore-said fight? We have random breathalizer tests at dances, but not every alcohol-laden being is tested, as it is random.

Sounds like this book is going to be a good one. When do you anticipate it being out and what is the title?
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

This probably wont help because itll add nothing to the story but id probably just except it. I would treat the students the same. We got water banned at my school cause some kids got drunk. So stupid. Everybody just complains to the teachers not the students that did it. Mostly just blame the administration for banning it we dont even think of why they did so in the first place. We cant have cell phones eithor we have to turn them in to the office. mostly everyone just hides them in there bags.
Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Distinguished Correspondent
esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

Who's POV is this from? A student who is angry about it, the person who got the item banned or an outsider? Just wondering because it might help the people who are trying to help. And couldn't this person who got the item banned be honored by the administration because of their so called heroism? If so they could have a speech and some kids could like...do something...I don't know just a suggestion.
There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

MadamedeChevre--BIG THANK YOU!! Thanks for the info on dances. Do girls go barefoot to the prom too? As for the confrontation scene there'll be a mix of guys and girls. As to the title, I'm still working on that. This book has gone through so many upheavals since I first conceived it as a teenager. Besides publishers have the last say on what the title will be. I hope to have the book all sewn up by the end of the summer with only minor editing revisions to take care of before I send it out. If it sells I'll post the information here so you can all know.
GCACheerldr14--Water banned? How'd that happen? Thanks for the valid point about kids tending to blame the adults more than other kids. That can add some more depth to the entire mix.

I really really appreciate all the input given. This has been the most rewarding of the research I've had to do on this book. If anyone else still wants to contribute feel free too. It helps to have the viewpoint of actual current day teens. I hope I don't disappoint you. You guys are awesome!