Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Bella-Swan
0 Kudos

Re: ....

have you read the chosen series its realy good
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK, DRUNK BELLA SAID, YES DRUNK YOUR ARE INTOXICATED BYMY VERY PRESENS
Frequent Contributor
Book-Worm
0 Kudos

Re: New Books for the New Year 2008

I LOVE the Gemma Doyle trilogy, Harry Potter, the Twilight series, and sooo many more books! I also just started a book called The Luxe which I'm loving, and is really interesting!
The Biggest Book-Worm,
Abby
Frequent Contributor
book-aholic25
0 Kudos

OMG! Those r totally like my favorite series. In fact, Im rite in the middle of the Gemma Doyle trilogy--I started Rebel Angels yesterday.

I also like action series, such as Alex Rider, Maximum Ride, and Fear Street.
Reading is the cure to everything. Expecially anger.
New User
aznbookworm
0 Kudos

You like Hamlet? I love Hamlet!!! You should try reading Dante's Inferno. It might be a good experience. Purgatory might be good too. Both are by Dante Alighieri. Im gonna read Paradiso soon
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

Hamlet was so good! I love Shakespeare. Prey is a new book for 2008 that's pretty good. It is very different than Lurlene McDaniel usual writing style but it is also on a topic that isn't covered in books that often. I have mixed emotions but I think people should read it.
Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Frequent Contributor
Bella-Swan
0 Kudos

Re: need new books!!!

or the marked series

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK, DRUNK BELLA SAID, YES DRUNK YOUR ARE INTOXICATED BYMY VERY PRESENS
Contributor
TerryReschke
0 Kudos

I bet that most of you would like my new book (The Attic Above). You can find it here.
New User
blueswan376
0 Kudos

Re: need new books!!!

Try the Private Series by Kate Brian. Or anything by Kate Brian :smileyhappy:
New User
blueswan376
0 Kudos

Re: NEW bOOKS?!?!?!

Twilight Series, Maximum Ride series, Tithe, Wicked Lovely, and the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Contributor
votre_nuisette
0 Kudos

i've just read a lot of good books and series. this whole list is a list of books i've read since July of 2007 up til now April 2008.

Sweep series - cate tiernan (15 books including special edition)

Balefire series- cate tiernan (4 books)

Twilight- stephenie meyer
New Moon-stephenie meyer
Eclipse- stephenie meyer

A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray
Rebel Angels- Libba Bray
The Sweet Far Thing- Libba Bray

Blue is for Nightmares series- Laurie Stolarz (4 books)

Project 17- Laurie Stolarz

Uninvited- Amanda Moronne

a modern fairys tale series - Holly Black
  #1- Tithe
  #2- Valient  
 #3- Ironside

the mortal instrument series - Cassandra Clare
#1- City of Bones    
#2- City of Ashes    

Vampire Academy- Richelle Mead (book 2, Frostbite, come out april 10)

house of night series- PC Cast and Cristen Cast
  #1- Marked    
 #2- Betrayed    
 #3- Chosen

Blue Bloods- Melissa de la Cruiz
Masquerade (blue blood)- Melissa de la Cruiz

xoxo~Lynn
Frequent Contributor
Bookwrm54
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
these are all great series! I loved every book in them! If someone hasn't read them yet you really should!

Twilight- stephenie meyer
New Moon-stephenie meyer
Eclipse- stephenie meyer

A Great and Terrible Beauty- Libba Bray
Rebel Angels- Libba Bray
The Sweet Far Thing- Libba Bray

Blue is for Nightmares series- Laurie Stolarz (4 books)

Project 17- Laurie Stolarz

Uninvited- Amanda Moronne

a modern fairys tale series - Holly Black
#1- Tithe
#2- Valient
#3- Ironside

the mortal instrument series - Cassandra Clare
#1- City of Bones
#2- City of Ashes

Message Edited by Bookwrm54 on 04-04-2008 07:44 PM
Dream, cry, hope, love.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

what "blue is for nightmares" about? i heard and saw the book, but never buy it yet.
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
Bookwrm54
0 Kudos

iloveloveloveedward wrote:
what "blue is for nightmares" about? i heard and saw the book, but never buy it yet.

tsk tsk, you haven't read it yet? You should! but yes, it was a good book.
Dream, cry, hope, love.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

Bookwrm54 wrote:

iloveloveloveedward wrote:

tsk tsk, you haven't read it yet? You should! but yes, it was a good book.

i ask what is it about? then maybe i'll read it cuz i have a LONG book list.
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
Bookwrm54
0 Kudos

oops, sorry, I read that wrong (as I often do)! It's about this girl who basically has nightmares that are trying to lead her to save someone. She ignored them when she was a kid and they ended up in a girl dead so this time she's afraid to ignore them. That was a really bad description but it is a better book than I make it sound.
Dream, cry, hope, love.
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

that just like the book "wake". i'll diffident but the book then! :smileyhappy:
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
0 Kudos

the dark fairy stories by Holy Black are realy good and everlost which is he best book I ever read it's about kids in libo (between life and death) it's really well written
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
Frequent Contributor
M-Elffriend
0 Kudos

here is a chapter from my book for any to check who wish to. it is available here at b&n online

A chapter from the middle, not the best or worst

A HOWLING IN THE NIGHT

It was late in their second day of travel when Farimain came in with the news he had found a shortcut to the giants valley. There was a waterfall that came out of a large cave. He had scouted the cave and found that it went through the mountaintop and entered the giants’ valley just a couple of miles from his home. Farimain did not see the giant but recognized the area from the last time he had been there. Eramil looked up at the sky, the sun would be disappearing soon but perhaps they could make the tunnel before nightfall and approach the cave in the morning.

The companions headed in the direction Farimain lead them. They arrived at the cave as the sun settled behind the mountain. The group traveled through the cave and set up their camp just inside the exit. They ate the sandwiches Donto had prepared for them and drank from the stream that ran through the cave. Then they settled down for the night, they wanted to wait to approach the giants’ home during the daylight.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 102

It was just past midnight and Bearmug was taking his turn at watch. He was thinking of a day 358 years ago when his father accompanied King Beargund in the war against the Chaos Wizard. Bearmug had only been 46 years old on that day and was not allowed to join in the march. His skill with a battle hammer was already as good as any others and he could throw his axes with the best of them. But the King had announced that no dwarf under the age of 100 years could join the army. His father was the Kings brother, and also a member of the throwhammer clan. He along with the rest of the clans’ warriors were the Kings guard. As such they also had perished when they charged into the wizards hold with their king.

That had been the end of the throwhammer clan as there was no elder male within the clan to claim the leadership. That had been a sad time indeed for Bearmug. His mother had rejoined the axwielders clan, which her father was a senior member of. Beramug could have joined also, or any clan he was willing to work his way into a position. But he chose to remain as the sole member of the Throwhammers and so was considered crazy. But Bearmug swore that one day he would make the Throwhammer name great again and set out on the trail to adventure. If he could find the resting place of Beargund and could claim the enchanted hammer of his uncle the name of Throwhammer would once again ring in the halls of the Granite Mountains.

Hill / Emberstones Quest Page 103

A strange howling off in the distance interrupted Bearmugs thoughts. Even as he listened closer it seemed to be coming in their direction. He went into the cave and awoke the others. They could all hear the howling as it was closing fast. The party was up and ready for trouble within moments. They didn’t have long to wait as the howling had become deafening. It was obvious this pack was coming for them and not just out on the hunt, perhaps the Chaos Wizard knew of their coming and had sent them.

The howling stopped as the wolves entered the cave, these were no ordinary wolves, they stood almost five feet at the shoulder and were at least six feet long in the body. Their hair was black and silver, their eyes glowed a bright white, their mouths full of fangs. There were at least twenty of them and they came straight in to attack.

Farimain fired a flame arrow at one and was rewarded with a yelp as it burst into flame. Tarfallus also had his bow out and working taking out another of the wolves. Lil stepped forward with her staff raised and with a word sent a cone of fire into the charging pack. Six of the wolves fell burning to the ground, this should have at least slowed the packs charge but these wolves continued on without care for the fate that took their other members.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 104

Eramil threw a pile of logs on the fire sending flames up to the ceiling, he then took a position on the right hand side of the fire beside Bearmug. Draag, Tarfallus, and Farimain took position on the left. Andros was moving to join Eramil when a wolf leaped threw the flames to attack Lil. A rolling dive took Andros to the wolf and a upward stab of his sword caught it in the chest as it landed. The wolves must have decided to attack Lil as she had shown herself to be a mage of some power, for even as the first one fell another leaped through as well. Lil was ready for the next one and sent it flying back into the flames with a well aimed lightning bolt. Andros took a stand beside her.

Farimain had made his kill with his short sword and dagger, Tarfallus with his sword of sharpness in hand had decapitated another, Draag had crushed the skull of one and sent another flying with hard blows from his mithril staff. These three were doing well and standing their ground against the pack. Eramil and Bearmug were doing the same on their side of the fire, Eramil had cut one down with a huge swing of his dragon sword , while Bearmug had crushed the skull of another charging wolf with a blow from his battle hammer. Lil and Andros continued to take any brave enough to jump the fire, so within minutes the fight ended with no casualties on the heroes side and twenty two wolves laying about the cave.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 105

Something strange began happening to the fallen wolves, their bodies began glowing ,then they turned into balls of light as they floated out the entrance to the cave. The only sign that a battle was waged were the bloodstains on the victors weapons and clothing. Lil and Draag went to work tending the minor wounds their friends had suffered, then Lil sensed the presence of another in the cave. She looked around but there was no one there, none the less she started to warn her friends when the creature suddenly made his presence known.

Eramil and Andros were at the stream washing their hands and faces of the blood from the battle, a light appeared before them and two hands reached out grabbing them and hurling the two across the cave to crash into the wall. The creature then stepped out of the light and with a motion of his hand in Draags direction forced the beastman to obey his command. Draag grabbed Tarfallus and Farimain each in one of his powerful hand and slammed them together knocking them unconscious. Draag seeing what he had done broke the spell that had been cast upon him and in a rage charged at their new foe, Lil sent a spell of sleep into Draags path stopping him and he fell to the floor sleeping.

The creature stepped into the firelight and faced Lil , He was eight feet tall of solid muscle, atop his head was a hood made from the skin of a wolf with a pair of elk antlers rising from the top. He had a whip in his left hand and a huge battleax in his right. He

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 106

laughed at Lil and said, “ So you would save your friend by putting him to sleep. Now that your most powerful member is down, who will save you? Do you think that you and a dwarf are any match for me?” Lil put a hand on Bearmugs shoulder to steady him, then replied, “I know you leader of the hunt, what has brought you here from the astral plane? Is it there are no more foes worthy of you? Or perhaps you are here to do the bidding of some mortal creature?”

The hunter angered at Lils words but answered anyway, “ I am the servant of no one. I am but repaying an old debt, once this task is completed I will be free to hunt among the stars once more. You I shall take my pleasure from, as soon as I finish with your friend.” Lightning fast he struck out with his whip catching Lils staff and pulling it from her grip. He took the staff and tried to break it in his huge hands, when he found he could not he threw it out of the cave into the darkness.

Andros had been knocked unconscious from striking the wall but Eramil had only been stunned, he untangled himself from his friend and stepped up to Lils side saying, “ You can not be much of a man who would threaten a woman when more worthy foes still face you.” The hunter just smiled and once again lashed out at Lil with his whip. This time Lil was ready for him and as the whip came in she held up her hand and spoke a

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 106

pair of words. This activated a spell upon the whip, it burst into flame and then wrapped around the hunter causing him to let out a gasp of pain. Eramil and Bearmug moved forward to attack.

The hunter broke free of his whip just as the two moved in, he blocked the blow Eramil sent his way, Bearmug though was able to land a powerful blow with his hammer on the hunters leg. The hunter howled again but was still able to deflect Eramils next strike. This time Bearmug landed a blow behind the hunters knee causing him to stumble off balance and fall to the ground. Eramil and Bearmug tried to take advantage of their fallen foe, he was to quick for them and managed to roll out of the way of their blows. The hunter regained his feet and once again deflected the dragon sword only to be caught another blow by Bearmugs hammer. He howled again in pain but was able to kick out at Bearmug with his other leg sending the dwarf flying down the passage.

Lil was trying her best to find a way she could attack the hunter without causing harm to her friends. She had seen the hunter before on the Astral Plane when she traveled there with Glimring. The hunter had used his pack to weaken a powerful demon who had unfortunately crossed into the hunters territory. The creature was more powerful than the hunter, but with his exceptional speed and skill he had defeated the demon sending him back to the pits of darkness.

Hill ? Emberstones Quest 107

Lil had fought beside Eramil for many years and knew he would never back down from a fight, she was terribly afraid for him as he was outmatched. The hunter squared off to face Eramil, he was smiling now as if expecting an easy victory. The hunter suddenly threw his ax at Eramil thinking it would cut him in two, only the extra power Eramil gained from the armbands of cave troll strength allowed this not to be true. He stood his ground and deflected the hunters ax, then attacked the unarmed hunter with a fury. The hunter dodged blow after blow Eramil sent his way, then with a word his ax reappeared in his hand. Eramil had a advantage no longer, and was hard pressed defending himself against the hunters attack.

The hunter finally landed a blow to his advantage knocking the dragon sword from Eramils grasp. It was Eramils turn to dodge now, the hunter swung a mighty blow straight down, planning to cut Eramil in two, Eramil sidestepped the blow and when the hunters ax hit the ground Eramil slugged him in the face. The hunter was stunned by this blow, he had never been struck this way before so was not ready for the fist Eramil followed with. Another blow to the stomach and an uppercut to the jaw sent the hunter backwards to the ground stunned. Eramil quickly retrieved his sword and was ready when the hunter regained his feet. A thrust of his sword caught the hunter squarely in the chest as he charged in ax held high. This ended the conflict and the hunter began to glow and floated away as his pack did before him.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 108

Eramil fell to the ground exhausted and Lil ran to his side, He said, “ That is one person I never want to fight again.” Lil smiled, “ I agree, the Hunter and his pack are one of the most feared entities on the Astral Plane. We did well to survive this encounter, I hope we do as well with the Chaos Wizard.” Eramil “I have no doubt that we will. Together we can overcome anything, that is as long as we have our friends.” Lil looked around, Draag was sitting up shaking off the effects of her sleeping spell, Tarfallus and Farimain were standing looking confused, Andros was still out, and they could hear Bearmugs armor clanking as he came running back up the passage.

Lil tended to Eramils wounds first, then she went to see what she could do for Andros. Draag was already working on Farimain and Tarfallus, Bearmug was pacing back and forth still spoiling for a fight. Lil went to the dwarf after she had revived Andros and gently drew attention to the bleeding wound on his arm. He sat down and allowed her to heal him, all of them took a long drink from the potion of endurance that Draag had provided them. They had decided to rest the two hours they had left until dawn, as they readied themselves for sleep a ball of light appeared in the cave and floated to Eramils feet.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 109

The party instantly went to his side ready to do battle again. A voice spoke to them out of the darkness, “ fear not brave warriors, this is not an attack, I wish only to repay a debt. Lord Emberstone, you defeated me fairly and have proven yourself a worthy adversary. I was indebted to an ancient demon and with my defeat you have freed me from that debt. To thank you for this service I give you Greymane, he is the fiercest member of my pack. Should you ever need him you have but to call his name.” The light burst and a bronze statue appeared. It looked exactly like the wolves they had battled except its mane was gray instead of silver. The statue was eight inches long and six inches tall; Eramil studied the statue for a minute before tucking it away inside his belt pouch.

Lil watched what transpired and smiled to herself. It had always been a part of Eramil to overcome even the most hopeless of challenges, only to gain much in the respect of those he came in contact with. That as much as anything is what held those gathered around him. Each of this party was an hero in his own right, all had passed the test of time. They had also shared in perilous situations with the odds against them, only to prevail in the end. But with Eramil , he had a confidence that no matter how bad the odds he would survive, and that same confidence seemed to surround them all when in his presence. Looking at the group around her she had no doubt that they would overcome the Chaos Wizard and all would be well in the world once more.

Hill / Emberstones Quest page 110

Eramil lay awake thinking a while longer before going to sleep. He knew how lucky he had been to survive the day, but he also was proud of the gift he had received. He was certain the gift was freely given and no trick of the Chaos Wizards. He was also sure that the Hunter would not report his defeat and their surprise attack still had a chance. He felt the responsibility of leading his friends into danger, for today had nearly cost them dearly. But he also knew those gathered around him and knew that they would have come alone or as a group to face the trials ahead. But the lesson here was one he needed to be sure and not repeat. The wolves were never the real danger, but none-the-less they had to be dealt with, before the true challenge showed itself. Just as the Chaos army would have to be dealt with in order to challenge the Chaos Wizard. Eramil shook these thoughts from his head, he would just have to take things as they came. He then settled back and drifted off to sleep

Author Lord Emberstone's Quest www.lordemberstonesquest.com
Frequent Contributor
alicecullen
0 Kudos

IM DYING FOR A NEW BOOK.  I LIKE ANYTHING AS LONG AS ITS FAST PACED.  SOMEBODY PLEASE RECOMMEND SOMETHING.
"Our biggest fear is that we are inadequate".
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

Twilight, if u haven't read it yet, never mind i see ur user name, um.............................. about books by Sarah Dessen?
**DLN**