Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

Over 20, reading YA

Hello!

I'm currently a stay at home Mom to  my wonderfull 3 year old. Being the independent little boy that he is I'm left with plenty of me time, especially druing nap time and after bed time.

I'm interested in discussing books, of all types, life, children, etc. If anyone is interested in chatting, sharing good reads, or just interested in what I have to say let me know.

I hope this doesn't sound too much like a personals ad.

I don't have many friends that read recreationally, and even less that have the time to discuss what they read.

I wanted to post this in a new topic as to seperate myself, at 24, from those whom are younger and have no interest in talking to an older person on a seeminly younger board.

Thanks! (:

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Re: Over 20, reading YA

What kind of books do you read?

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

Well the obvious awnswer would be YA; and lately quite a bit of the new dystopian novels. But I've also read all works by Dan Brown, anything really in the science fiction/ fantasy, thrillers, all works from Torey Hayden. But mosty YA novels. 

Contributor
xqueenofheartsx
0 Kudos

Hello! Im 24 as well and I love love to read. Like you, I read a lot of YA or 'college-level' romance. I dont know many people (and by many i mean like, none) that read as much as me or like the same reads that I do. Whenever some one wants a book to read I always have to recommend one because I KNOW ITS GOOD . There are a lot books lately that I have fallen in love with. 

Are you currently reading a book? What are some YA authors that you like? 

Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!

Currently I'm reading Reached, the third and final book in the Matched trilogy.

I honestly don't have specific authors. I read what ever looks interesting. As far as YA I've read 

The Pendragon series by D.J MacHale, ( <3)

Twilight and The Host, of course,

The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate

The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare (<3)

The Hunters Moon, The Summer King and The Light-Bearer's Daughter by O.R. Melling

Alosha Trilogy By Christopher Pike

The Oracle Prophecies by Catherine Fisher

Partials and I have pre-ordered Fragments By Dan Wells

The Flapper Books by Jillian Larkin

The Maze Runner series by James Dashner

Divergent series by Veronica Roth (<3 <3)

Plus well... A lot more. (:

And books I've ordered on my nook that I have not read yet consist of

Hush Hush Series By Becca Fitzpatrick

Delirium By Lauren Oliver

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolken

Plus many more.

I've also read all Jane Austen, Wuthering Heights, Dan Brown, Torey Hayden, E.L James, and The Left Behind series, to name a few.

Any mentionable books to add to my list of not read? :smileyhappy: I'm always looking for suggestions.

Contributor
xqueenofheartsx
0 Kudos

I have yet to read Reached. Its still sitting on my bookshelf in the “To Read” pile but I   loved the first two! 

There seem to be some books and series that we both love. Im a Twilight fan too (of course, and generally anything with vampires or werewolves :smileyhappy:) I loved the Fallen Series, The Maze Runner, and all the Mortal Instruments (tad stoked for the movie!) There are a few book on your list that I havent read that I might have to take a look at. 

You definitely have to read Hush, Hush! I actually liked those books better than The Fallen series. 

As far as books to recommend, I could probably go on for ages I have so many id love to share! The last book that I just read was by Beth Revis. She wrote the Across The Universe trilogy. That might be something to look into for sure. 

Instead of listing a million books, here are some authors that i’ve enjoyed that are similar to books youve read (hopefully you can find someone new!) 

Maggie Stiefvater, Alyson Noel, P.C. Cast (she has like 10 vampire books. GREAT series) Melissa Marr, Laurie Faria Stolarz, Julie Kagawa, Bree Despain, Myra McEntire, Cate Tiernan, C.C. Hunter...

I could probably list a lot more but I dont want to overload your brain :smileyhappy: 

Also, if you have a Nook, feel free to add me. I have a lot of Lend Me’s as well..

lol_stacilynn@yahoo.com

Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

I have finished reached and loved it. I will start Hush Hush later this afternoon! If it's better than fallen I'm going to love it.

Some of the series I told you about are a bit older, like The Pendragon Adventure, (10 books in total.) I started the first book when it came out, I was in 8th grade and finished the last book when it came out in 2009, two years after I graduated High School. :smileyhappy: Even though it's older I have to mention it because it was that series that brought me to reading for enjoyment, before that I never really read too much for my own benifet. Now I can't stop. It's more of an adventure story, light on the romance, very light.

I will look into some of the authors that you'ce listed, some I've heard of but havn't read, some I've never heard of, and some like P.C Cast I have read. I did start her House of Night series at least 4 summers ago, but some where in the middle I lost interest, but I can't recall why at the moment. While I was in beauty school though I did have a girl in my class and that was all she read. By no means would she be an avid reader but she raved about the series as well, maybe it's something I'll consider revisiting.

Have you ever heard of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris? In my class at beauty school I also had a very avid reader who I would often talk books with. She has suggeted this series to me many times. Considering she reads all of my suggested book and falls in love it's natural to assume I'd love this as well, it's another series on my to buy list.

I will add you. Although I'm not sure if you get much advantage out of it; for as many books as I have I don't seem to have many lend me's. You'd think they would make the first book in every series a lend me, that way peple want to buy what comes next. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
TheNovelist

I'm 27 and I love middle-grade/YA books. They're the only kind of books I find myself genuinely able to enjoy. I also write (if you couldn't tell by my username), and I write mainly MG/YA material, so I think that's why I just find myself drawn to those kinds of books.

I've read a lot, and I really enjoyed Hick, by Andrea Portes (It's probably my very favorite novel), as well as Why We Broke Up, by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket). It uses illustrations as part of the way it tells the story, and I think it's really a neat way to do it.

I've also read The Hunger Games, as well as the Divergent Series. I'm also in the midst of reading the Beautiful Creatures series and If I Stay, by Gale Forman. I'll most likely pick up the sequel to that too at some point.

If you're into "high-school strange", I strongly recommend Cat Patrick. She has two books out now (Forgotten & Revived--both fantastic and unique), as well as a third novel coming out this May (The Originals).

Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

I'm glad to know it's not just me. Although the thought has struck me it would be nice to read YA Divergent/Hunger Games/ Hush Hush/ Fallen-esque novel where the main character is in her mid twenties! And blonde! But that's just me personally feeling like the skinny blondes are just getting the bad rap. :smileywink:

I'll look into some of the books you suggested. I've been burning through my to read this quite fast these last few weeks and it badly need restocking- I shudder at the thought of not knowing what I'll pick up next!

I started reading Hush Hush yesterday afternoon and finished it the same night. If that keeps up, I'll easily be able to stay on top of my to read list.

Contributor
TheNovelist
0 Kudos

Yep! Totally not just you :smileyhappy:

Also, would it be okay to add you as a friend on here? I'm somewhat new (just joined in November), and don't have any friends. We could talk about YA books and stuff. I'm always up for that!

Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

Of course, I don't see a problem with that. :smileyvery-happy:

I'm always up for chatting about books, or really anything else. When most of your daily conversations are held with a 3 year old it's nice to have more adult interactions! (:

Reader
sammylbradley
0 Kudos

I'm new here and I have a soft spot for YA fantasy/dystopian world/paranormal romance reads.  

I guess it's my guilty pleasure.  lol.

Looking for nook friends, so add me up!  SammyLBradley@gmail.com.  

In life I'm surrounded by males, who aren't readers, so I have no one to discuss and gush with.  

I have more books in hard copy format but building up my Nook Library.  

Samantha
Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

You'll fit in here well then Sammy! (:

Any particular favorites you want to share? :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
TheNovelist
0 Kudos

Welcome, Sammy!

Unfortunately, I don't have a nook, but I'd be up for being friends with you on here if that's okay. :smileyhappy:

And just so you know, I am a male, and I like to read, and write, and gush about books that I think are amazing too! I also write, and I think you'd definitely enjoy the book The Legend of Sierryah Daniels. I wrote it, so you should definitely check it out if you have the time. A little warning though, it *is* expensive for a paperback, but that's because it's semi-self-published, and the people I went through told me that the price was determined by the printer and that I couldn't do anything to lower it. So, sorry about that, but it'd be great if you could check it out sometime.

Anyway, again, welcome!

Reader 2
dani555
0 Kudos

I have a lot like this that you can borrow

Inspired Contributor
wheezie
0 Kudos

Another over 20 year old here! :smileyvery-happy: People never seem to realize that there is more to YA books then high school romance. Farvorites are..

Matched series

Hunger Games

Twilight series

Heart on a Chain - Cindy Bennett

The Catastrophic History of you and me - Jess Rothenberg

Whereever you go - Heather Davis

Breaking Beautiful - Jennifer Shaw Wolf

My life next door - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Second Chance Summer - Morgan Matson

Halo series - Alexandra Adornetto

The Mockingbirds - Daisy Whitney

I'll be there - Holly Goldberg Sloan

Moonglass - Jessi Kirby

The Flappers Series

Awaken - Katie Kacvinsky

Geesh, that was a bit long..

Contributor
BrittneySue
0 Kudos

It's been awhile since I've been on.

Anyone still around? Any does anyone have anything they want to discuss or share?

I'll admit my life has been super busy and I haven't finished a book recently. :/

Contributor
Bookworm29JT
0 Kudos

I am over 20 and I LOVE reading Teen fiction books,

some of my favorite series to read are...

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1) 

Left Behind 

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls Series #2) 

Divergent (Divergent Series #1) 

Inspired Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

Hello! I am over 40 and i love to read ya books and vampire, paranormal, and romance books. I would suggest reading books by Talia Jager. She is a gifted author. The best books I have readby her is called THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE and LOST AND FOUND? Give those a try and let me know what you think.
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

I will be 19 on friday and I still love young adult books. I just read Jauren Barnholdt's newest and the protagonists are 17 and juniors in high school. I though that it would be weird to read a book that featured characters younger than me, but I didn't even think about it.

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"