Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Randomness!!

Yaaaaay! I've never been to a dentist. Is it as creepy as the grand tails say?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

[ Edited ]

No, but I wouldn't call it exactly fun either.

You walk in, sign in, sit down and wait.  There are usually magazines just like a doctor's waiting room, and they never apply to you.  If you have never played golf, all the magazines will be about golf.  If you don't own a boat, all the magazines will be about sailing.  Bring your Nook.  Even so, the wait is usually not as long as at the doctor's office.

If it's your first visit, there are a million forms for you or your parents to fill out.  Some of the questions have nothing to do with dentistry, although I understand why they have to ask them (they don't want to risk infecting other patients).

Finally a dental hygienist calls your name, and you follow her to this big chair.  She puts an apron made out of lead on you, then x-rays your teeth.  The old-fashioned way of x-raying your teeth involves putting these cardboard-and-plastic photographic plates into your mouth first, and you have to hold them in place by biting down.  Sometimes it feels like I'm scraping away half the skin of my gums, but there's never been any real damage.  A more modern gadget has been invented where you put your head into this weird metal frame (and no photographic plates), but it's a little weird too.  I'm sure there must be a better way.

Then the dental hygienist reclines the chair and begins the weird process of cleaning your teeth.  She hacks away at them with this little metal thing that has a hook on the end.  It looks like a medieval instrument of torture, but it really is the only way of getting the plaque and junk out from those little spaces between your teeth right at your gum line.  She doesn't mean to, but every once in a while she will poke you a little bit with the hook (the end is very sharp), which will sting and draw small amounts of blood (hence the concern about what diseases you have).  Every so often during this process she'll squirt water into your mouth and suck it out with a little hose attached to a thing that creates a small vacuum.  Back in the old days, you had to swish the water around and then spit it into a little bowl beside the chair.  The suction thing is less gross.

Speaking of gross, at one point in my life I had let way too much time elapse between visits, so I knew my teeth were extra disgusting.  The hygienist put on this big clear plastic face shield and grimly went to work.  Within five minutes, her face shield was covered with little globs of bloody gunk.  UGH:smileysurprised:  (There needs to be an emoticon called Smiley Very Grossed-Out!)  And that stuff had been in my mouth!  Double-ugh!

Then she will probably floss your teeth.  Sometimes that draws blood too.  The last thing she will do is brush your teeth with this fancy electric toothbrush.  The taste of the toothpaste is very strong.  Some places give you your choice of flavors (like peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon; I even had chocolate once!)

Finally, after all this, the actual dentist comes in!  Unless you have cavities or some other problem, he will spend about two minutes looking at your x-rays and telling you and your parents to floss (who are they kidding; nobody ever flosses!).

Then they will give you a toothbrush (you're too old for a lollipop), send you on your way and send you or your parents a big bill!

I think I've scared you (and probably others too) enough, so I'm going to shut up now, but I will say this:  it isn't as horrible as I'm making it sound.  At your age, you're kinda overdue, so don't let me scare you -- go!  And tell us what you thought of it!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

Interesting quirk about my post about the dentist:

Apparently, B&N's computer thinks I used a racial slur that rhymes with "nuke" meaning people of Oriental descent, and bleeped it out.  The word I actually used, of course, rhymes with "Nook" and is roughly synonymous with "gunk," which I will use from now on.  Since they are spelled the same, the computer doesn't know the difference, but I thought I should point out that I do.

Interesting gunk!  :smileyhappy:

Jeff

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Aaaaah! Creepy! Ha telling my parents I need a doc. visit is like pulling teeth! *bu dump pisssh* sorry. I've only been a small number of times and that was only for when I had to for his inserence or somthing to little to remember. Last time I had a shot was first grade! I gave up a long time ago.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Oops I ment insurance I was watching a movie. Anyway the more I read about the dentist the more I giggle. Hee hee.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

This one hygienist was good looking.  I usually melted into a babbling puddle of drool every time she leaned over to clean my teeth.  It's weird enough to have someone else's fingers (and instruments of torture) in your mouth; it's even worse when she's leaning in as though for a kiss so all you want to do is grab her!

How about it, everyone?  Is anyone here, like, a nurse, a dental hygienist or anything like that?  Have you ever realized a patient, especially someone awkward like a geeky teenaged boy, was too interested in you personally, rather than professionally?  Not in a creepy, sexual-harassment-lawsuit way, but more in a pathetic, nerdy coming-of-age kind of way.

Jeff  

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Ha um nope. I thought a bout a med school but I changed my mind and decided on a Conservation Officer. Don'tsee many girls go for that. All I see on the DNR site are guys. How bout anyone? After Jeff's Q what did you dream of being or still dream?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Correspondent
REXx
0 Kudos

well, Even though I really want to be an actress ( not movies, the Broadway kind ) I don't know if I would be any good at the whole starving artist lifestyle. Being a journalist seems like a really good option but what I really want to be is a house mom.:smileywink:

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Well go for it! Can't say ya didn't try. Acting never held interest to me. But a stuntman did! Or stuntwoman I should say. I could so jump from buldings lit a fire! Hahaha. Huzzah!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Reader 2
Shanrachelle
0 Kudos

I am a 30-something year old mother of 2.

Reading is my favorite activity. I love reading so much I began teaching my daughter to read when she about 3 1/2. She is 5 now and reading at a 2nd grade level. My son does better in math and science like his dad but loves to be read to.

We just finished Holly Black's Field Guide books. Now they want me to read The Power of Six because we loved Six in I am Number Four.

I have enough ebooks in my collection to last for years but I have only read a few of them. I will share them as long as it doesn't get me in trouble.

Young adult and children's books are still my favorite books to read because they have to be more interesting and action packed than adult books. And Young Adult books have gotten incredibly better since I was a teenager. What I wouldn't have given to have had Harry Potter when I was younger. I did make due with Diana Wynne Jones but her books were not nearly as good.

When I finally grow up and my insides catch up with my outsides, my dream has always been to be an author of Young Adult fantasy.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Shanrachelle wrote:

I am a 30-something year old mother of 2.

Reading is my favorite activity. I love reading so much I began teaching my daughter to read when she about 3 1/2. She is 5 now and reading at a 2nd grade level. My son does better in math and science like his dad but loves to be read to.

We just finished Holly Black's Field Guide books. Now they want me to read The Power of Six because we loved Six in I am Number Four.

I have enough ebooks in my collection to last for years but I have only read a few of them. I will share them as long as it doesn't get me in trouble.

Young adult and children's books are still my favorite books to read because they have to be more interesting and action packed than adult books. And Young Adult books have gotten incredibly better since I was a teenager. What I wouldn't have given to have had Harry Potter when I was younger. I did make due with Diana Wynne Jones but her books were not nearly as good.

When I finally grow up and my insides catch up with my outsides, my dream has always been to be an author of Young Adult fantasy.

Welcome Shanrachelle!!

Sorry nobody responded... Teens in school and college have been really busy.

I have been super busy so this is my first time in weeks on here.(blame AP, I hardly know what free time is anymore).

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

okay is it just me or is there somthing wrong with the board?

It took me like 5 min to find this thread and i just posted here on tuesday.

I heard that they were updating the boards but i didn't think they would do somthing like this.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Everything has been glitchy. My nook has been sending 2x the PM's so everyone has been getting ddoouubbbblless!! Pluss it be taking forever to load the site!!!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

I agree.

I is making putting off my homwork a lot less fun.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Haha yeah but anythings better than homework.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Haha yeah but anythings better than homework.

So very,very true

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:600th post!!!!!!!:smileyhappy:

:smileysurprised:

:smileytongue:

:smileyvery-happy:

:smileytongue:

:smileywink:

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Cool!!! :smileyhappy: Just wait untill you hit a 1,000. Hee hee. I thought I would never be that talkative to hit 500. Ha not Im almost at 1,500! I'm addicted to the forum.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
Cool!!! :smileyhappy: Just wait untill you hit a 1,000. Hee hee. I thought I would never be that talkative to hit 500. Ha not Im almost at 1,500! I'm addicted to the forum.

Me too!

Although not as much as I used to be.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Hmmm its snowing here. How about anybody else? What is your weather extreams? Frostbite or sunburn?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.