Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

Reading/Writing Habits??

What are your Reading/Writing habits?

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
ALN
Wordsmith
ALN
0 Kudos

Re: Reading/Writing Habits??

I have the habit of reading too many books at the same time. I also laugh out loud whenever I read something that is funny. My writing habits are that I start a story and tend to start thinking about another one and leave the other behind.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Distinguished Scribe
tiffany57
0 Kudos

Ditto to everthing u said, but for when you said you LOL,

I smile when the charecters do,

feel sad when they do, be mad, ect.

If there is a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, you must write it. -Toni Morrison
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Same here

wheni read and a character does/or says something funny, i find myself laughing or smiling

or if something big happened, you can find my jaw hanging down randomly haha

as for writing habitis, whenever im working on a story, i'll think of a future or past scene and forget all about the part i was working on

also, im constantly changing my work

----------------------------------------------
Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

ALN wrote:

I have the habit of reading too many books at the same time. I also laugh out loud whenever I read something that is funny. My writing habits are that I start a story and tend to start thinking about another one and leave the other behind.

Same here. I do the same thing with my reading and writing habits. But right now I am trying really hard not to forget about the story I am writing right now. I am also trying not to put down the Incarceron but it's really hard cause I just can't get into the story.

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

i have same answer like ALN..

i get quotes from books i read..

I write when  feel like it... lol :smileyvery-happy:

http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Contributor
KnightRider
0 Kudos

When it comes to reading, I have a habit of finishing a book in a day or two, most of the time when it's a really good read :smileyhappy: This is a bittersweet thing, I think. I feel good accomplishing something even though I don't set out to finish it quickly. It also kind of sucks because now the story is over with and I'm done with the book (unless I re-read it of course or a sequel comes out).

Writing is a totally different thing. I write for myself, for fun, and for expression. The thing is, I have the habit of constantly getting ideas and accumulating dozens of notes over a period of days. All these notes can be on post its, loose leaf papers, reciepts...anything that I can get my hands at the moment! It gets pretty overhwelming and I start to feel cluttered and stressed when half of my desk is layered with notes for my story.

Inspired Contributor
fairydust285
0 Kudos

I can only read 1 book at a time..I get too confused if I try to read more at once, but I usually finish a book in a couple of days because all I do in my free time is mostly read! I have a habit of buying a LOT of books at once, so my to be read pile is about 60 books high..yet I still go to the bookstore on a weekly basis to get more!

My writing habits are all over the place. I keep a notebook with me at ALL TIMES just in case I get an idea for a story/poem. I even keep it next to my bed in case I have a weird dream that could be made into a story. I also have a seperate notebook filled with writing prompts so if I can't think of something, I can just use one of them. I have dozens of books about writing that give me ideas as well. I hate typing stories, mine are usually always in my moleskine...

Inspired Contributor
books4life48
0 Kudos

When I read a book I have to be doing something else also or I won't want to read the book. Sometimes I will talk to my friends or surf the web but usually i listen to music. Usually I finish a book in a couple of hours and if I don't, because is distracting me, I become angry. I don't know why. And when writing, I listen to music and sometimes the feel and energy of the song helps me write.

~Yes*We*Have*No*Bananas~ XD
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

Reading Habits: I just finished Perfect Chemistry yesterday, there were alot of heart stopping moments in that book, and since I haven't read a amazing book in a good while, it was like  experiencing those moments afresh, I was constantly smiling when something cute or funny happened , grinning when Alex was mentioned, and  got quite when something bad was to come, so I get totally sucked in and like a lot of others, I feel a part of that story, I'm with those characters, so I get attached to people like Alex real easy, which makes it harder when the book ends, because then your back to reality and have no idea how long your going to have to wait for the sequel which in my case.. Sucks big time but this only happens if like perfect chemistry the story is awesome worthy, so it has to be real good to get me sucked in like that, which doesn't happen often nowadays.

Writing Habits: I don't really carry a notebook, or anything like that, I have a personal well hid diary at home LOL I know, but even though I don't use it often I like to know its there, I don't write poems or stories often now either, the only stories I ever wrote or took part in were Bn add ons, I normally write Poetry when I'm feeling a deep emotion and I'm in the moment, that's the rare time I feel like I have to let it out, through poetry, so if I ever put a poem up you'll know at the time I was feeling that emotion deeply, I don't plan a story or poem,  I always write a story or poem as soon as my pen touches the paper, that's how I function I can't plan etc, its not me, and doesn't feel original, if you really are going to write something from the heart I believe it has to be written right then, just as you are feeling those emotions, that's just my opinion though,, if you've seen any of my add ons, I've never planned anything I've wrote, its come to me as I've typed, I do have a bad habit though, I can have a great idea, and its there, and I'm ready to put it out, but as soon as I get distracted its gone, that's it, so when I say I write in the moment it has its positives and negatives.

Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Reading Habit: Read whatever  I can whenever I can, never judge a book or author by the ideas they are proposing in the book, never tag them as crazy , normal, weird etc.

Writing habit: write every day even if it is a paragraph!

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Frequent Contributor
lunalovegood115
0 Kudos

when ever i am really getting into the book i will like mouth the words to my self. and i always read while something i like is on TV then someone goes to change it and i am like "no im watching that!"

thats all i can think of right now.

"What you need, what you deserve, is a guy who adores you for what you are. Who doesn't see you as a project, but a prize. you know?"
-- The Truth About Forever; Sarah Dessen
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

im the same way0 ill be intently into a book and watching tv, and someone will take the remote or turn the channel and im all like " well i was watching that"

i read around a book a day now...

i like writing and once i start i have to finish

and ive attempted to read more than one book at a time, but i always go back to one...

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Frequent Contributor
BooksMakeMeSmile
0 Kudos

for my reading habbits, I tend to read books to fast. I just got a book that is about 300 pages from the library and I finished it in 3 hours! Im like: "oh great, now I need a new book!". Also, my grandmother gets mad when I read during breakfast and dinner. As for my writing habbits, I have great ideas for stories, but then I lose what ive written or just lost interest. Now adays , so many stories have been written that im like: "what can I actuall write that hasnt been written before?"

Decreasing worldsuck one day at a time!
Super Potterhead and Mega fan of Percy Jackson
New User
KarenSamuels
0 Kudos

I tend to ask a lot of questions about books that I read. I want to know absolutely everything that runs through the author's mind during the writing process. This has the potential to drive me crazy.

As for writing, I tend to get inspired to do something, but end up waiting too long and it just goes away. We all deserve a little lasting inspiration.

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

Read too much. Write too little.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

I usually read 3 or 4 books at the same time , one for school and the other 3 because I have lots and lots to read everytime I go to the bookshop I just can't resist and I buy another one lol

When I start writing I usually dont stop until it is finished, I feel that if I come back later I may lose the idea , which is why I prefer to finish what I am writing.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Contributor
Edaer-Itof
0 Kudos

My habit is to always read books far to fast.  Occasionally I miss something, not often, and have to go back I get too eager. XD And then when the book is over I get so sad, bittersweet, like someone above mentioned I believe. I can't do multiple books at a time, I start mixing up the stories and cant remember what's going on.  Also, usually in the process of reading, all I can think about is my book and so I always end up reading with TV, at dinner, and before homework. 

Sometimes after a majorly epic part I'll just put the book down and proccess it for like 10 minutes. I lol quite often too. :]

Writing, I always have to write on paper first, not on the computer. 

Honestly, I don't trust it with my writing.

"Are you sick, rose?...then he realized he could stay there looking at the rose for the rest of the afternoon (or maybe the rest of his life) and never come any closer to solving its mystery..."
Contributor
Sawyer94
0 Kudos

I'll get like four books at a time either from the library or my friend who just has a library full of potential books. I can finish two books a day, if my schoolwork isn't that much. I usually have to read these along with my school books, which can get very annoying. No one likes when at ten o'clock, you're reading the best part of a book and can't wait to finish it and then you realize what schoolwork you have to do. I'm just bad at prioritizing things...

My writing habits...well, i usually base it off a book that i read, because i can't get that storyline out of my head and then I make an entire story out of it. It's quite fun!

fear is the heart of love
Frequent Contributor
zera17
0 Kudos

One time i was reading myy book while the teacher was talking (i was supposed to pay attention) and started laughing out loud about something in the book..... The teacher thought i was mocking her because she was apperently telling everyone tht math was important and that our class needed to start paying attention. She got really upset. Was Really funny..... I was reading City Of Glass!!

-my writing habits i are that i tend to write to fast and mispel alot!

Photobucket