Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

Regular books or ebooks?

This has been a heated topic among my friends. Are ebooks better than regular books made of paper? I prefer regular books. The turning of pages is a crucial part of the reading process. lol

What do you think?

Frequent Contributor
LunaMoth
0 Kudos

Re: Regular books or ebooks?

it depends on the situation for me, if you have room for a library of paperbacks then im all for it, but i dont have the room so im getting a Nook, also you cant change text size with a regular book unless you buy large print books (and lets face it, there is not really that many in fantasy/teen books that are large print)

also, ebooks are if ou think about it, not killing trees by being paper.

but those are my reasonings.

"And pleasant is the fairy land,
But, an eerie tale to tell" - Tam Lin
Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

to me i  pick books im not fond of electronics much and ebooks are to costly at walmart there 198.00 for a ebook instead i can get a book to read for less then that i rather pack around a book then i would an ebook

the clouds i can handle but i cant fight an eclipse
jacob black =)

New User
kolbycheese88
0 Kudos

Regular books.  The joy in reading is not only reading, but spending hours at a bookstore trying to find that perfect book.  There is no fun in just clicking the book you want and having it then.  Plus it doesnt have the new book smell.

I am beyond your experience. I am beyond good and evil, legions of the night - night breed - repeat not the errors of the Night Stalker and show no mercy.
-Richard Ramirez
Reader 2
slshpard
0 Kudos

yea, I prefer a book over an ebook. I like to actually sit down with a real book, not an electronic thing.

Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Real books. I like to have the book in my possecion. To smell the new book smell and be able to touch each page. I like to have it on my shelf with my other books. Real books are definatly better. =)

Frequent Contributor
LunaMoth
0 Kudos

all of you must have alot of room for those paperbacks lol!

"And pleasant is the fairy land,
But, an eerie tale to tell" - Tam Lin
New User
halliewho22
0 Kudos

environmentally ebooks are better. It does save a lot of paper. But I definitely prefer real books. Nothing beats an already loved used book. You can't get that from an ebook.

Frequent Contributor
SweetJoy
0 Kudos

kolbycheese88 wrote:

Regular books.  The joy in reading is not only reading, but spending hours at a bookstore trying to find that perfect book.  There is no fun in just clicking the book you want and having it then.  Plus it doesnt have the new book smell.

I completely agree with you.

Some things are best left un-modernized...

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i agree with real paperback books...and yes i know economically evvoks are better..but i cant buy them online cause i dont have a credit card..

plus a well oved book?n othing beats turning the pages of one..

and i know the basics of the nook...

but what is it reall?..how does it work, what can it do

plus its really expenisve(for me atleast)..

these are the current questions that plague me...

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Contributor
bobfrog37
0 Kudos

Actually, eBooks are not environmetally friendly. They use a lot of chemicals to make them work and the emissions from them when produced is terrible. It depends on your point of view essentially. What's more important, our forests or our ozone layer?

Personally I want a nook but can't afford one. :smileysad::::: its sad.

And I have NO room for paperbacks. I try to use the library but its such a hassle. I'm saving up for the nook, it'll just be easier

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

I like regular books better. I mean i dont really want to read a whole book on a screen. It takes the fun out of reading. And we can always plant more trees!

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Frequent Contributor
platinumpink
0 Kudos

I admit it...I'm a regular book fan. 

Contributor
brandi21
0 Kudos

I am getting a Nook whenever they become available.  Yes, it maybe expensive but it is a one time price and i have been looking at the prices of ebooks and all the ones i have seen so far have not been higher than 9.99.  So ebooks would be cheaper in the long run compared to regular books.  On the other hand i heart the smell of a new book!  A regular book will (unless theft or fire occurs) always be handy!  You never know when some kind of tech difficulty might happen with the Nook.  As far as the credit card part--you can always buy a money card* from walmart that you can put money on and use that for your credit card.

*Cohnstant Pandemonium*
Contributor
alylovezu2
0 Kudos

I agree with most of you you can't beat reading a book of paper its sorda loses the point if u read it from an a machine. and plus turning the page and the book smell and wearing the book out from reading so much you can't get that from an ebook. i most definetly prefer a real book

"I always think of each night as a song. Or each moment as a song. But now I'm seeing we don't live in a single song. We move from song to song, lyric to lyric, from chord to chord. There is no ending here. It's an infinite playlist."
- Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Inspired Contributor
Outlaws-Girl
0 Kudos

Regular books...i like the feeling of accomplishment when you flip a page lol : )

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

regular books. I already spent too much time looking at a computer screen.

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

since you all pretty much prefer regular books, do you prefer hardcover or paperback?

i prefer hardcover, but usually buy paperback to save money

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

I prefer hardcover because its easier to hold. Most of my books are paperback though.

Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

i like hard cover to read cuase the print and pages are..better i guess? but i dont like it when i get large print cause that is huge type!

i but, however paperback cause its way cheaper and i can fit more in my bookshelf than with hardback

i only get hardback if is really cheep at like a gareage sale and i need it...i got city of glass for Christmas and i had a hard time fitting it in my bookcase cause it was too big.

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"