Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Re: Religon

Alright guys, let's not get vulgar. We all have different beliefs and let's respect each other. I do support gay marriage but we have to keep in mind that we're talking about religion, which is a very controversial subject. No fights have started YET, and I totally think that respectful arguments are great, but please, let's try to respect each other. Please? 
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Contributor
liv4Him
0 Kudos

Shesaxsensation,

Thanks so much.

Night_Angel,

You got to state your opinion, I was just stating mine.  Like shesaxsensation said, this is a thread to calmly discuss our religions.  I was just giving mine.  I meant you no personal offense, or anybody else on this thread.

Check out my blog at http://www.rinielsmusings.wordpress.com.
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

liv4Him, what do you mean by athiests have an agenda? Just wondering....
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

Look, we may be discussing our opinions but I'm asking to stay away from that topic. there are EXTREMELY sensitive issues attached to that topic for me and I'm sure other people too. I'm not looking to start a fight, but I will start one if I'm pushed the wrong way; it's just how I am. 
Correspondent
WerewolfGirl101
0 Kudos

lost banner Pictures, Images and Photos
Correspondent
WerewolfGirl101
0 Kudos

Im a Christian. My signature is the lyrics to a song by a Chrisitian artist. Really great song
lost banner Pictures, Images and Photos
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alright, but since this is a religion thread, the gay marriage topic will most likely come up. You don't have to be involved in that topic, you can always ignore it. I understand that you may be sensitive to it, I have 2 gay uncles and a gay aunt and I know that they had a hard life and would love to get married to their partners who they deeply, deeply love. I totally support them and I definitely wish that they would be able to finally get married. I'm not looking to start a fight, I'm trying to prevent one. But everyone has different views and opinions on life so I want you to realize that before lash out on anyone. Since this is America, there's freedom of speech, I'm just saying that you should expect to hear people's opinions in life whether you agree with them or not.

Message Edited by shesaxsensation on 05-19-2009 05:31 PM
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Hey, uh guys?  Liv4him and I have had really deep conversations about religion and only had one small incident.  If we can talk about this calmly I think we all should be able to. 

Why do athiest's have hidden agenda's?  And I am athiest.  I don't believe in anything except for the big bang theory, evolution, and the power of science. Isn't that kind of the definition of an athiest?  I don't believe in God at all, but I respect the power the religion has for people.  It supports them in times of need and gives them solace when their world get's turned upside down.  A world without God is a scary thing for most people and I totally understand that and respect that.  Other friends of mine who are athiest don't have "hidden agendas".  What does that even mean?  You could just as easily say that the church has a hidden agenda, like world domination and power.  Even the church is corrupted and has been proven throughout the centuries.  I'm just saying here. 

Remember our "generalization" conversation?  You can't generalize people just by one certain belief doesn't constitute that everyone else has to be exactly like that other person. 

On the gay issue I admit I get really touchy about that.  Instead of pouncing on one another can we elaborate on our beliefs.  Believe me I know you can't change the way someone thinks so what's the point of arguing?  Just discuss stuff calmly, and if you can't do that then don't participate at all.  

Oh and shesaxsensation I am sooo proud of you.  Lol.  :smileyvery-happy:

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

Well said, shesaxsensation :smileyhappy: And in a way, I think everyone with a religion, or lack thereof, has a "hidden agenda."Their agenda is usually the same - tell people about their beliefs and find people who share the same views. About the whole gay marriage thing - I am a little touchy on that too. I don't get why people care so much. It's not like you're going to marry the person they're in love with ! The way I see it, you can't help who you love.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Wordsmith
Night_Angel
0 Kudos

mmh, definitely agree with you there twilightfann. I get that it is a calm discussion and maybe I'm just PMSing or something and I'm... angrier than normal but I also don't get why we can't just avoid the topic. there are a million things to discuss about religion- like the whole hidden agenda or not thing. can't we avoid that one? 
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

When discussing religon there will always be a thing that is bad in one religon and fine with in another. It's unevitable. To discuss religon calmly you have to respect others opinions and not sat how "bad" they are. Everyone is different and no one person will believe the exact same things, even if they have the same religon. You might think someone is wrong, but others would say you were wrong. To avoid one sub-topic in religon you would have to stop talking about religon all-together. Abortion for example, most catholics (i know)  believe it's wrong, but an athiest (just an example, don't mean all athiets believe this!) might think it's fine and if you can't talk about this respectivley then how can you with any other sub-topic? You can have a respectable conversation about religon with someone, Kyleigh and liv4Him have shown that. If two people with very different religons can have a conversation about it nicely then why can't anyone else?
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Well said.  Lol.  Ok so what do you guys want to talk about now?  Can we discuss gay marriage now?  Lol.  I know that you Vamp & Spong have unique religious beliefs.  Does anyone else want to share?  (just trying to steer the conversation back into the right direction here, lol.) 
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Thanks guys. I just thought of something. So gay marriage isn't legal yet in most states. I don't understand why though. The whole religion thing? What happened to Freedom of Religion? That doesn't mean you have to be Catholic, Orthodox or Jewish does it? You can not believe in anything. So why does America have to have Christian beliefs? Why can't America consider everyone else's beliefs and let us do what we want? Just because the people running the white house think gay marriage is wrong doesn't mean the rest of America does. Idk. I don't get it. Sorry if I completely confused you.

- Edward Cullen
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

It's because of the whole American mentality.  We expect every other country in the world to learn English, yet we don't make an effort to learn their languages.  Since this country was established on Christian principles, even though they wrote in freedom of religion in our constitution doesn't mean it applies.  Just like when the slaves were freed, they didn't achieve reality for many more years.  American's are selfrighteous prigs.  (OK not EVERYONE but the vast majority of politicians are) They think America is better and that Christianity is better than everything else.  THat argument is precisely how Iowa got gay marriage legalized.  (Woot for Iowa)
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Iowa is higher up then where I live and the people I live near are very religous. Do you know how many churchs I've been in?!I think our services are longer too. (not my personal views but my families) Most people I know hate gay marraige. It's so annoying, not because they don't believe what I do but because they won't even let me tell them why I believe this.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

No one from my town seems to be against gay marriage. Now that I'm thinking about moving away ... well, my city has a population of 40,000 people and the place I'm moving to has a population of 3,000 people. BIG difference. I'm such a city girl and used to not knowing most people I see in my city. When I move away to school, there's probably a great chance that they're pretty religous there. So I'm kind of expecting them to be close-minded. Hopefully I'm wrong!

- Edward Cullen
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

That sucks.  It would be really hard going from a place where people are so accepting to somewhere where everyone is totally different.  I mean I live in the middle of like the most conservative state ever, yet we have a whole crew of wierd kids at our school.  Ok, not necessarily wierd but definitely a wierd sense of style, totally goth and emo.  People aren't even very accepting of that, yet people are used to it.  If people can get used to someone's sense of dress I don't see what the big deal is with their sexuality.  It's good though that younger generations are way more accepting than older ones.  Sometimes it really seems that we have taken steps back away from total acceptance. 
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Yeah, the younger generations might be more accepting then the older ones. But it's more of the way you were raised. If you were raised more open-mindedly then you might be more accepting but if you were raised in a tight-nit maybe religous (religon that hates something) family, you might believe as your other family.
Correspondent
dorkybookworm3
0 Kudos

I'm an atheist!
Contributor
SnoM
0 Kudos

I think it's sad that religion and politics have become so intwined that a discussion about religion is mostly about gay marriage and abortion. I know religion informs our political opinions, but I also know that Christianity was never meant to be political. Jesus didn't get political, and he didn't judge certain people (apart from those who judged others, the pharisees), he spoke on righteousness to the point where everyone who heard him understood that they were all sinners compared to the righteous standards of God, and then he offered them his salvation through dying for all of us.  Christianity was never meant to be a stand against sin in the world, it was the salvation from sin.  I am a Christian but I personally hate the republican party and everything it stands for, and I hate Christian politics. We're supposed to be a group of people who love others and show them God's forgiveness, not a polical ideology.  That's my viewpoint anyway, and I don't mean to offend republicans or anything.