Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Punkibear
0 Kudos

School Reading

[ Edited ]
Self explanatory, LOL. What's the best book you have read in school? Mine would be The Breadwinner and/or The Devil's Arithmetic. They both made me step a take back and realize how lucky I am. The Breadwinner is about a girl, Parvana, who is living in Afghanistan and is trying to deal with the Taliban rulers who took her father away from her. And the Devil's Arithmetic is about the holocaust. I read them both in my 8th grade literature class. I recommend them highly! What are yours?

Message Edited by MattW on 02-25-2008 09:55 AM

Message Edited by MattW on 03-11-2008 09:50 AM
"What you feel is what you are and what you are is beautiful" -Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Re: What's the Best Book you Have Ever Read in School?

Wuthering Heights, Catcher in the Rye, Frankenstein, The Awakening
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
teenbookslvr
0 Kudos

the giver, miricle's boys,zenda, the truth about forever

but the giver is the one we read AS a class the rest were in advisory
when u wish upon a star~~*
your dreams come true...
Frequent Contributor
Punkibear
0 Kudos

I have never read them. But, we are getting ready to read Catcher in the Rye in my 10th grade literature class!
Frequent Contributor
Punkibear
0 Kudos

I have been wanting to read the Giver! I saw it in my library but unfortunatly for me I'm one of those people who judge a book by a cover. LOL
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

Don't be fooled by the cover! I know, the giver's cover is HORRIBLE with that old man with that ridiculous beard :smileyhappy:
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
love4books
0 Kudos

When I went to school I didn't have to read many books. There are two that stand out as leaving a lasting impression (good) and they were Call of the Wild (Jack London) and The Diary of Anne Frank.
I vaguely remember titles of some of the others which I know have been mentioned here like The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights, The Scarlet Letter, one of John Steinbeck's (name has escaped me now) and something to do with boys on an island seems like the book was called something like Lord of the Flies. Maybe as an adult I would think differently about these books then when I was a teen however I really haven't had the desire to reread them. They may just be not my taste of book or something.

love4books
Frequent Contributor
lovely_for_now
0 Kudos

you all got to read the catcher in the rye at school?

pshh i had to read that on my own because my school wouldnt allow it or something.

but i love Fahrenheit 451 and to kill a mockingbird. those were good.
"We refuse praise in order to be praised twice."
-François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
Contributor
KayleeCullen
0 Kudos

Honestly I'd have to say A Wrinkle In Time we read this book in I think it was 4th grade. This book started my obsession with reading. And as I got older, I quit reading, but this book is what re-sparked my interest again years down the road. So honestly I'd have to say that if it wasn't for this book, I probably wouldn't read right now.

~*Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does.*~
Contributor
skoolgirl101
0 Kudos

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee was the best book ever! I loved it. I read it twice for school: once in eighth grade and once in ninth grade. It never gets old.
New User
Grooveonman
0 Kudos

The Westing Game- AWESOME book! It's one of my favorites
The Midwife's Apprentice
To kill a mockingbird
Frequent Contributor
Punkibear
0 Kudos

Yeah the Westing Game was really good! LOL. It confused me at first, until I learned all of the characters and then it got better.
Frequent Contributor
kraziekatie24
0 Kudos

Princess by jean sasson
the giver by loise lowery
hamlet.

the first made me realize how lucky i was to be an american teenager.

-Kate

Hey Stephen, I could give you fifty reasons why I should be the one you chose. Those other girls, well, they're beautiful, but would they write a song for you?

hisgoldeneyesmesmorizedme

book nerd. music freak. movie fanatic.
major obsesser over so many things.

I love to read and write poetry/lyrics and short stories. The layers of music fascinates me. Someday, I want to do movie soundtracks, maybe, or teach. The book to movie transition fascinates me to the extreme. I've been mesmorized by the way Harry Potter and Twilight and so many others have been brought into movies is something I think I would love to do.
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

Your favorite SCHOOL book?

There are a lot of books that we are forced to read in school. Some we hate some we like but there are few we really love. What’s your favorite book you had to read for school?

Mine is The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorn

Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

Re: Your favorite SCHOOL book?

We read too many good ones... I liked The White Mountains, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Wadjet Eye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Distinguished Correspondent
musicangirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'd have to say my favorite book that i have read in school/ currently reading in school is a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. It's a long novel but it's interesting to me.

I also enjoyed this year Romeo and Juliet.
And in Middle School The True Confessions of Charlette Doyle and Saving Freedom

Message Edited by musicangirl on 02-23-2008 10:47 AM
~Mg

Sometimes people give up,
other times they move on,
and sometimes they just stay still.

I turned to the clarinets. They were a resourceful lot.~Jennifer Echols, Major Crush
Frequent Contributor
bookbug
0 Kudos

mine would be hoot and how do eat fried worms.
Bookbug

The more you read, the smarter you are!!!!!
Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

bookbug wrote:
mine would be hoot and how do eat fried worms.

I forgot about How to eat fried worms. didn't they make that into a movie?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
GCACheerldr14
0 Kudos

I think most schools must read Tale of Two cities cause I’ve never read it but a lot of people have mentioned it. I did read Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol though.

Kacy -/--

"When you follow your heart, you should have no regrets. When you follow someone elses, those regrets may lose your heart." -anonymous
Isaiah 41:28-31- life verse
Frequent Contributor
Bookluvr12
0 Kudos

my fav. school book that they made us read would be Ghost Cadet. OMG i loved that book.
I love Edward Cullen!

"If i could dream at all, it would be about you and i am not ashamed of that"
~Edward

"and the lion fell in love with the lamb"
~Edward

"Besides…the more time I spend with you, the more human emotions seem comprehensible to me. I’m discovering that I can sympathize with Heathcliff in ways I didn’t think possible before."
— Edward Cullen

"I'm sorry if there's been some kind of miscommunication, but Bella is unavailable tonight.' Edward's tone changed, and the threat in his voice was suddenly much more evident as he continued. 'To be perfectly honest, she'll be unavailable every night, as far as anyone besides myself is concerned. No offense. And I'm sorry about your evening.'"
-- Edward

yes, i am obsessed with Edward Cullen.... and your POINT is??