Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Golden_Reader12
0 Kudos

Science Fiction Course

So I signed up for this science fiction course thinking that it would be interesting and a nice change of pace, maybe even find some new books to enjoy that I wouldn't have read before. So far we have read Frankenstein which was okish (except for being very violent and sad), The War of the Worlds (put me to sleep for two hours), and now we are reading Starship Troopers which only causes me to want to hit my head against a wall.

Seriously!? Not one good book as of yet. Ik there is good science fiction out there because I've read it but this is just rediculous. The next two don't look too promising either: Neuromancer and A Canticle for Lebowitz

"There would be little reason to lie down at night without the possibility of seeing things bigger and more amazing than the average day might bring about. Why pick up a pen or type on a keyboard if there's no imagination or wonder left to behold?"
-pg 3 of Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra
Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Re: Science Fiction Course

Oy sound likes a total borefest! Congrats on actually getting through the books though. Sadly I don't know, or have ran into a good science fiction yet. I'd take a look around BN and at the reviews, maybe you can find something better then!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Wordsmith
BeeZnEEz101
0 Kudos

The hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy is amazing. I hate sci fi, but this is actually cleverly written and kind of interesting.

New User
emmalee3211
0 Kudos

The Ender series by Orson Scott Card is really good. There are a bunch and the series is seperated into books following two different characters. I went through the first couple really quickly. I honestly couldn't put them down.