Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Wildstar66
0 Kudos

Should I read Twilight?

Hey everyone! Wildstar here!

I have just one question for the public. Should I read the Twilight books? I've read every single one of the Warriors and the Seekers, and now I'm stuck without a good series. Practically every single person that I know is reading Twilight, and I think that I should start it. Is it any good?

Age is a case of mind over matter. If it don't mind, it don't matter!

~Wildstar~

Inspired Correspondent
SabrinaSunlight

Re: Should I read Twilight?

I really don't think anyone should waste their time reading twilight. Well, thats just my opninion
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Yeah, don't listen to the opininos of everyone. Just judge it for yourself and see if you like it! :smileyhappy:

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
Duncan-lover-4eva
0 Kudos

I would only recommend twilight to people who are really into reading and are into the vampires could of thing. I personally wasn't into reading about vampires before I got the twilight series for my birthday ( so i had to read it ) but when i started reading them it sucked me in and i was at the edge of my seat everytime I turned the page......good author btw
If you ever feel the need to wonder why.
Let me know
-Aaliyah
Inspired Scribe
djaq

NO. dont bother with it. stephenie meyer-in my opinion- isnt a very good writer. she spends about half of the book talking about "how perfect edward is" and how "she doesnt deserve him." plus the plot is lame, it takes about 300+ pages for something midly intersting to happen and it turns out that it is not that intersting...because the confilt is resolved in about 35 pages.  

"We could do pizza."
Wordsmith
Night_Angel

*shrugs* I enjoyed the first one in seventh grade, but each book got progressively worse and worse. 
New User
Icebreath
0 Kudos

HI I read the Warriors, and Seekers books too, and all my friends told me to read the twilight books, and even after they suggested it I didn't want to, but I had nothing to read so I forced myself to try it and I really liked it, I found myself flipping through the pages as fast as I could, but I think you should choose for yourself everyone likes different things! If you don't like it you don't have to finish it either!

Bibliophile
Silvermist24
0 Kudos

I have read warrior Cats and Seekers too. Wildstar, I don't think that Twilight is the right book for you. You should stay with Warriors.
Baby you can drive my car,
Yes I'm gonna be a star,
Baby you can drive my car,
And Baby I love you,
Beep Beep, Beep Beep, Yea!
Inspired Correspondent
CHEYtheBOOK_LOVER
0 Kudos

i haven't read those books. but i'll give you my opinion anyways. i have read twilight and i liked the books. some people have the opinion that her writing is horrible but i disagree, it may not be perfect but it is a teen book about a teenage girl in love with a guy.. err vampire.. and an obsessive teenage girl at that. hence all the rambling about edward. it's more of a romance story then anything. bella is whiney so if you decide to read it be prepared.

if you want a good series also try the Mortal Instrument Series. I thought it was way better then Twilight. I was at a B&N and one of the ladies that worked there insisted that i buy this book and read it so i did, and it was awesome!! the first one is City of Bones. 2nd City of Ashes. and 3rd and final City of Glass.

I'm a book nerd.
I like making my friends into book nerds.
Contributor
Wildstar66
0 Kudos

THank you for your advice, people! I decided not to read the Twilight books.
Wordsmith
Raestar15

Dear Wildstar66,

I do not believe that taking the advice of other people is the right thing to do.I mean yes you like a persons point of view BUT I really think you should give it a try yourself to see if YOU like it. I thought I wouldn't people gave me the no go but I read it and now I own the whole series.Just try somthing before you just write it off.

~Rae~ 

Zoey:smileyfrustrated:pirit is what makes us unique,what gives us strength,and it is what lives on after our bodies are no more.
~House of Night~

Laurel it if you like it!!!
~Rae
Correspondent
plaidfroggie

I usually either find a book or series on my own that looks interesting, or else I ask people's opinions regarding books especially as expensive as a book habit can be.  Having said that, I do not recommend Twilight or the rest of the books.  I don't want to give you any spoilers but Mary Sue meets Gary Stu and Mary Sue with no self-esteem drools and whines through the whole entire series.  If by some quirk of fate you can't find anything else to read, at least check Twilight out of the library as I wouldn't want you to waste money on the Twilight series based on the exceedingly long pro-Twilight thread on this forum.

I own the entire Twilight series through the misfortune of having listened to some people hype it up.  They might make good doorstops....or if I am out in the woods toilet paper in an emergency.  I won't even donate them on freecycle because it would be spreading Meyer Madness to innocent people.  I won't donate them to my local library because I regard it in the same light as dumping toxic waste on public property.  I actually wish I believed in burning books or dumping them in the garbage, but alas I respect books in general too much to take that very appropriate action.  Sadly Stephenie Meyer does not have any writing skill.  Some say she is a good storyteller, but I don't even see that in her books as I couldn't get emotionally involved with her cliched one dimensional characters.

Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

Wildstar,

I just came back to give you two series suggestions.  The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony and the Conrad Starguard Cross Time Engineer books by Leo Frankowski.  Both authors are a bit on the sexist side, but being males I will say they are more talented than Meyer, and her anti-feminist take on women shown by her character Bella is worse than either of those two male authors and doubly shameful since she is a female.

I don't know because I haven't read the books you mentioned whether you prefer sci fi or fantasy.  Piers Anthony is fantasy and Leo Frankowski is sci-fi.  Both are more engaging and have more continuity than Meyer's fluffy illogical world.  They show more thought and talent in world building.  I think that it might take slightly more maturity to read these as the themes are more adult than Meyer(what isn't), but they are young adult books.

Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

plaidfroggie wrote:

I usually either find a book or series on my own that looks interesting, or else I ask people's opinions regarding books especially as expensive as a book habit can be.  Having said that, I do not recommend Twilight or the rest of the books.  I don't want to give you any spoilers but Mary Sue meets Gary Stu and Mary Sue with no self-esteem drools and whines through the whole entire series.  If by some quirk of fate you can't find anything else to read, at least check Twilight out of the library as I wouldn't want you to waste money on the Twilight series based on the exceedingly long pro-Twilight thread on this forum.

I own the entire Twilight series through the misfortune of having listened to some people hype it up.  They might make good doorstops....or if I am out in the woods toilet paper in an emergency.  I won't even donate them on freecycle because it would be spreading Meyer Madness to innocent people.  I won't donate them to my local library because I regard it in the same light as dumping toxic waste on public property.  I actually wish I believed in burning books or dumping them in the garbage, but alas I respect books in general too much to take that very appropriate action.  Sadly Stephenie Meyer does not have any writing skill.  Some say she is a good storyteller, but I don't even see that in her books as I couldn't get emotionally involved with her cliched one dimensional characters.

amen to that.

[cowers in fright]

dont hurt me twilight obsessed people!

"We could do pizza."
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wowww. There are some Twilight haters that need some serious therapy but I never thought there were any of them in the Barnes and Noble forum ... I was wrong. It wouldn't be bad if you were just joking in exaggeration, but it doesn't seem like you guys are. To hate something so much that you want to burn it ... you either need to grow up or go to a therapist. Maybe you should try one of those stress balls to take out your life frustration instead of a taking it out on a BOOK. Seriously, I know that there are major obsessed Twilight fans out there that can be pretty overboard. But the thing is, you're JUST AS BAD, probably worse! Whether you're obsessing over loving something or obsessing over hating something, it's still an obsession. Please don't give me any of that "people have different opinions" because I definitely understand that. It's just the way you guys hate a book so much! You guys probably think I'm majorly insulting you, but to be honest, I'm being dead serious. It's scary that you guys hate something so much that you want to burn it ... it reminds me of serial killers... it's pretty creepy. Hopefully you're just joking about all of the obsessive hate though, if so, forget everything I said above. It's not like I despise people who didn't like Twilight, I really don't. Kyleigh doesn't like Twilight but she's respectful and not creepy about it. If you really don't like Twilight, why can't you just act like Kyleigh does? Why do you have to be so scary-obsessive over it? By writing this huge paragraph, you might be thinking I'm a very obsessive Twilight fan. I definitely love Twilight but I would never ask the cast members to bite me or anything. I just wanted to get that out there before anyone starts calling me an obsessed fan. This isn't even so much about Twilight to be honest, it's about how you're acting really abnormal. Sorry for making you read all of that if you did, I just had to get that out of my system and I didn't know how to say it without offending anyone, but there's really no way around that. I don't know you guys so I don't hate you or anything. The stuff you say just kind of scares me ...

[Cowers in fright!]

Don't hurt me Twilight-hater obsessed people!

Message Edited by shesaxsensation on 05-30-2009 04:55 PM
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I am not going to go build a bonfire on Meyer's lawn.  You are afraid of me because I have held my tongue regarding my opinion on these pieces of trash for time.   I only bought them in the first place because I didn't see enough dissenting opinions voiced.  I am voicing my opinion here in multiple threads because I honestly believe that people need to actually see that not everyone is in love with her fluffy sparkling vampires.  It is actually the sheer number of threads that is making me blow up here.  Twilight are you an edward or jacob fan?  Twilight should I read this if I am 11 years old?  Sheesh.

If I were over obsessing I would say they are the worst pieces of trash I have ever read.  I am not saying that.  However I would like a way to get them out of my house that I could actually face myself in the mirror after doing.  I can't give them away because I believe they are garbage and should be left to rot in obscurity.  I don't burn books or throw them away, so that leaves me stuck with them.

Right now I am at a ranting point because the obsessed twilight fans are spreading their manure everywhere and I think that the other side should be represented.  I do not need therapy because I hate the books.  I have not been harboring a deep obsessive hatred for months over these books as I have not had them for months.  If a month from now I am still obsessing over hating these books then I will say I have a problem. 

You should be frightened of the fan boys and girls that dress up and make a pilgramage to Forks, Washington to visit Bella's house.  The ones who actually want to marry a fictional character and are over the age where they should even consider that possible.  Those are the people who honestly need therapy because when you can't separate fantasy from reality it is called psychosis.

I find it majorly insulting to be compared to a serial killer just because I am angry.  I admit partially in myself for buying the hype that the fanatics of twilight created, but also in the fact that books are expensive and I truly did not hear enough from the people who really thought they were poorly written. 

I just want to save people from making the mistake I did in trusting people who said these books can be compared to Rowling's books.  They really can't.  They have two things in common, they are fiction and they are a series.  The similarities end there.   It takes more to express a decent opinion than to say "Edward is Hot" or "Meyer writes great".  Yes I overstated to an extent for effect in this thread.  However these books are being hyped to an unrealistic degree.

I have not gone all over the web posting original "I hate Meyer" websites or posts.  I have gone to two places.  Yes I am writing lengthy rants, but that is because I held my tongue, even in real life enough that I am just sick of the whole bit.  I didn't even have to post an original thread here to write about twilight.  There are enough threads already started. 

If I limit myself to just saying Meyer writes trash or Meyer sucks then I would end up having to defend my point of view from a mob of rabid twilight fans anyway so I might as well write a long post to begin with.  I would never say, "all Twilight fans" are rabid.  However a large number of them are.

Why do I want the books out of my house?  For the same reason I would not want to stumble over any outrageously ridiculous fad of any kind ten years from now.  The whole smack yourself upside the head for falling for a fad in the first place.  Twilight series=expensive fad.  The books are something that I am going to stumble on again and again because I don't own a mansion and therefore don't have an entire room to lock up ridiculous fad items in.

Telling me I am obsessed because I don't just write "I hate Twilight" three words and instead am presenting a dissenting opinion in paragraph form is really rude.  I could try to claim that you are a narrow minded Twilight fan who can't take a dissenting opinion since you think I must need therapy because I can write an entire paragraph or more about what is actually wrong with them.

Normally if I fall for a ridiculous clothing fad(which isn't often as I am not that into clothing), I can just donate the garments to charity.  Clothing is actually a useful item and if I bought hot pink by mistake and it makes me look hideous then I can always console myself that people who don't look horrible in hot pink can use it.  If I get a horrible fad haircut at least my hair will grow out over time.  These books are more like an albatros.  I feel that if I give them away other people are going to end up buying at least one of the books because the person I give them to has a good likelihood of becoming one of the rabid fans and talk others into buying a least the first book.

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Trust me, people trash Twilight here. We've all heard the opinions based on how creepy Edward is and how the writing is terrible. Just because there is a large number of people who like them doesn't mean you have to go around and tell the whole world how much you hate them.

"If I were over obsessing I would say they are the worst pieces of trash I have ever read.  I am not saying that.  However I would like a way to get them out of my house that I could actually face myself in the mirror after doing.  I can't give them away because I believe they are garbage and should be left to rot in obscurity.  I don't burn books or throw them away, so that leaves me stuck with them."

See ... in my opinion (and I'd certainly hope in others opinions too) saying that Twilight is the worst piece of trash you've ever read is way less obsessive than saying they are garbage and should be left to rot in obscurity rather than have someone read a book they may actually like!

I really didn't want to say this but you're acting like a really selfish person! You don't want people to have fun because it'll ruin your fun! Reading Twilight or any other book that you don't like despise might be fun for another person! So what! If it really bugs you that much, then I do think you should see a therapist. Sorry. :/

Once again, trust me, the other side is definitely represented. There are sites for people who hate Twilight, and I assume you've seen these sites before.

There are some fans that go way overboard, and I agree, but the crazy obsessive hatred still scares me more than the crazy obsessive love.

You read a book you didn't like, that's terrible (sarcasm)! It happens! You won't like EVERY book you ever buy. If you didn't like the first book then why did you buy all of them? Why didn't you just rent the rest from a library? Or just not read them? Even if you bought all of the books at the same time, you still aren't forced to read them. Sell them on Ebay!

You want to save people from making the same mistake you did, but to some people it wouldn't be a mistake. Not EVERYONE has the same opinion as you do. You really need to understand that because you can't force your opinion on everyone in the world just because of a book. Is it so wrong that people like Twilight? Since you seem to think it's just an absolute tragedy, makes you kind of creepy in my eyes. I don't think these books are being hyped to an unrealistic degree. I think they deserve the attention they get, and many other people would agree. There are some that would definitely disagree and that's fine! But I don't think it's fair that you seem to want to insist to everyone who hasn't read the books, to never ever read them because they might really like them!

I really don't think it's fair to say a large number of Twilight fans are rabid. You only see the ones that get the attention for their crazy actions and I'm sure half of the people that get the attention want the attention.

You don't need to keep the books in your house! You should donate them to a library or give them to an underprivileged child because they might really like the books! The books might really lift their spirits and give them something to look forward to (the movies). What's the harm in that? I really don't see any.

- Edward Cullen
Distinguished Correspondent
BLUEICEGAL
0 Kudos

hey guys lets just calm down about this whole twilight thing, like how longs it been now since they came out?, we all loved it  and got over it, or where still good fans besides the point is its hard to say its crap becuase truthfully, if you like a good romance, with hot guys and innocent turned strong girl like most us girls out there then this is the book for you, dont let the hype around the series stop you, its not at all bad like people make it out to be, i can get it from the other point of view, like all the hype can turn you of from the series but it only takes for you to read it again to make you realise how darn good this series is, so either way u both have ur opinions and lets not argue and be mature about this ok?
Wanna know the awesomeness that is moi??? movies, artists, gossip and the latest reviews of your fav books not to mention my upcoming twilight parody that i am currently working on is all here folks!! @ My Blog Fantasy4eva spread the word girls :smileyhappy:
Fantasy4eva
Correspondent
plaidfroggie
0 Kudos

I posted my abject hatred of the books here after reading the post by an obviously unbalanced person in the Twilight thread that was delusional enough to say they should pass a law saying everyone who can read should have to read Twilight.  To see a comment like that is actually the worst thing I have seen from what I would consider a rabid fan.  I posted the Read Street link and was checking to see if anyone had checked that site out and stumbled across that gem of a message.

I have reasons for being "selfish" as you so rudely put it.  Meyer rewrites both vampire and werewolf canon.  Fine other people have written things about the two supernatural creatures with their own spin on it that doesn't bother me.  Do you know why Meyer's series bothers me in her attempt at world building?  She rewrites the creatures of darkness in her own way, but only follows the new rules she created when convenient for her.  Breaking Dawn is a great indication of this fact.  Even if you ignore the way she didn't follow her own new vampire canon(which she was so far from following it wasn't even funny to produce her little happily ever after vampire family). 

When she points out that the werewolves aren't really werewolves and the fact never came up before.  I wanted to personally write her a letter asking how the fact never came up.  She wrote an entire book, Eclipse, where Edward refers to them as werewolves.  You don't think she could have mentioned even once in Eclipse that they aren't really werewolves?  Gee maybe it would have interrupted the kissing too much and Edward's lips were too occupied.  If I had actually written that letter, I could be called obsessive.

Also aside from the fact that Bella becomes physically strong, she doesn't actually change.  At the end of Breaking Dawn she is still the insecure little twit she always was who doesn't realize she had a large role to play in making the Volturi run away?  Sheesh talk about ending the series showing that Bella is still as insecure as ever.  All Breaking Dawn has going for it is that once Bella gives birth to Edward's spawn she gets over her suicidal urges.

I can safely say that while I have passed along books I didn't particularly like to the library before I have never passed any along that encourage teenagers to circumvent their parents' authority in the manner that Bella did where the teens in question did not have to suffer some consequence for the rule breaking.  Even before she turned 18 she had Edward sneaking into her room without permission from her father.  When Bella did turn 18 she should have moved out as she did not follow house rules.  Sorry I do believe that the people whose housing is subsidized by their parents should have to follow their parents' rules for behavior or get out if they say "gee I am an adult I don't have to listen to you".

Somehow I wouldn't expect a person who uses an Edward quote from one of Meyer's books to see my point.  As a matter of fact I did pick them up all at once.  I read them since it was a rather large money investment.  If I had read New Moon right away and realized her skills as an author were not going to improve I would have returned unread copies of Breaking Dawn and Eclipse.  Alas I did not realize this until the two week period for returns was past.  Had I realized that in time it would not have been unethical for me to return the unread books, it would have been once I had read them.

My big mistake was that I hadn't even heard mention of the Twilight series before the movie came out.  Once it came out the fanbase was really busy talking about how much better the books were than the movie.  I should have tried googling "I hate Stephenie Meyer" apparently.  Then I would have gotten a balanced opinion.  If I could pass them along thinking they are air headed fluff that will not be remembered in 10 years it wouldn't be so bad.  If older teens were the primary readers I might take that approach as they would be nearly adult and thus already either breaking rules like crazy or they would be mature enough to recognize that Bella's actions are totally irresponsible.  Alas I can not ensure that a 9 year old is not going to learn "adults have stupid rules and I should sneak my boyfriend in" since many people reading these books are 9 and 10 year olds.

Contributor
Wildstar66
0 Kudos

HI again people! Wildstar here. I got alot more m,essages, and I thought of a plan. I'll take it out form the library, start it, and if I like it, I'll buy the other books, and if I don't like it, I'll just return it to the library. How's that sound to you guys???