Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nannakins_23
0 Kudos

Teen Literature

I am looking for some ideas on what to read this summer. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on good teen books. If so please let me know.
Thanks!
Contributor
la4bama
0 Kudos

Re: Teen Literature

You may want to try the books by Megan McCafferty if you haven't already. They're located in the fiction and literature section, not the teen section. They are written on an adult level and are about a teenager as she goes through her high school years. Just start with Sloppy Firsts. The latest one out is Charmed Thirds and by now the main character is in college. It's a really good series that I enjoyed very much. And the last one is due to be released in August. Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Have you read any of Tamora Piece's Books or if you are into thriller's Tom Clancy has done a series of his NetFotce books for Teens.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

nannakins_23 wrote:
I am looking for some ideas on what to read this summer. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on good teen books. If so please let me know.
Thanks!

Just thought I'd send a link to recommended summer reads for teens - you'll find some great classics in there!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Contributor
JulieZ
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm 16, so here are some of the best books I've read recently:

Girl in Hyacinth Blue, by Susan Vreeland
Exodus, by Leon Uris
Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown
My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
Burning Bright, by Tracy Chevalier

Hope this helps! Enjoy your summer reading!
Julie
New User
katylikescornnuts
0 Kudos

nannakins_23 wrote:
Thanks!

Well...
The Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber are my favorite books of all time.
Twilight and New Moon by Stephenie Meyer are both awesome.
I love A Great and Terrbile Beauty and Rebel Angels by Libba Bray.

-Caribbean Cruising by Rachel Hawthorne
-Avalon High by Meg Cabot
-The Secret World of Johnny Depp by Nigel Goodall
New User
mbrandon
0 Kudos

I was a high school librarian for the past 3 years and I'm posting the favorite authors/series/titles of my students. I also served on our state young adult book award committee and that was a tremendous help in finding great books for my students to read. Enjoy!!!!

***The really neat thing about YA authors is that alot of the most popular ones have MySpace pages that advertise their books and can involve the students in discussions about their books -- I've tried to promote those pages as resources for my students who were voracious readers!

Bluford Series (by Paul Langan or Anne Schraff)13 titles in series so far>

Twilight & New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

Midnighters Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld
Uglies, Pretties, Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Sharon Draper

Laurie Halse Anderson (newest title is Twisted, several of my students said her Prom book was kind of shallow)

Sisterhood of Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares (4th title is newest and is wonderful!!!)

Sharon Flake

Private series by Kate Brian (also writes as Kieran Scott)
Lucky T, Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian

Summer Boys by Hailey Abbott

Jim Butcher's sci-fi series for teens (Cursor's Fury is one)

Tamora Pierce's sci-fi/fantay series'

Kenneth Oppel's sci-fi novels

Marilyn Reynolds

Angela Johnson

Sarah Dessen (newest title is Just Listen)

Rita Williams-Garcia (Like Sisters on the Homefront)

Lori Aurelia Williams (Broken China, other titles)

...as I think of more, I'll post them! Hope this helps!!!
Michal Hope
New User
bowlingmaniac300
0 Kudos

I enjoyed the Uglies Trilogy, as well as Pendragon. i also loved the inheritance trilogy[so far]. authors that r also good for teens, that r in adult section, r James Patterson[ espicially Maximum Ride!!!!!!!!!] band Michael Connelly.
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of your great suggestions for teen literature, everybody!

One book that I read about a year ago and was really fantastic, was The Candy Darlings by Christine Walde. In fact, the publisher for this book has an imprint called Graphia that has many amazing fiction books in it (A Certain Slant of Light was also incredible). I typed "Graphia" in our search and found a bunch of them here in case you're interested.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
sunny4328
0 Kudos

I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's FABULOUS!!!!
~Kristy
McKinney, TX
BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

sunny4328 wrote:
I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's FABULOUS!!!!

This is a really amazing book, I agree - it was one of the Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers picks.
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Contributor
obssesedreader_1
0 Kudos

I just recently read a new book for teenage girls and it was great!! The book was called A Girl Like Moi (me) by Lisa Barham. I know the book has a partner, but I haven't gotten to that one yet. I would recommend this book to anyone who interested in fashion, love, and going through the struggles of living in New York.
New User
luv4allbooks
0 Kudos

are you looking for novels or what cause i have a couple ideas
This is Michaela. Please mail me about any good books. I'm currently reading Pretties and Amulet of Samarkand.
Contributor
obssesedreader_1
0 Kudos

You should definitly look into reading this pretty good book called Wicked Lovely written by Melissa Marr.
Contributor
Mother_of_Five
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the Uglies, Pretties, Specials trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. These books are found in the teen or young adult section. These books address the issues of conformity, body issues, free thought, brainwashing, governement control, honesty, etc. The novels are highly readable with a convincing plot that incorporates futuristic technologies and a disturbing commentary on our current public policies. Excellent books for any teen or adult.
Contributor
buddha_girl_17
0 Kudos

well, there are these hilarious novels by Louise Rennison,
Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging
On The Brightside, I'm Now the Grilfriend of the Sex God
Dancing in My Nuddypants
Knocked out by my Nunga-nugas
Away Laughing on a Fast Camel
Then He Ate my Boy Entrancers
Startled By His Furry Shorts

they sound bad, i know, but they really aren't. they're hilarious. don't read them in public, you WILL laugh out loud.
New User
BasketballWriter33
0 Kudos

I currently just finished the "The Glass Castle" a Memoir by Jeannette Walls and it's a pretty easy read for teens around my age of 16.
I also highly recommend "The Truth About Forever", "This Lullaby", and "Someone Like You" by Sarah Dessen. Her work is good, and if you are a girl and you like love stories Dessen is a keeper!
I also like Wanda E Brunstetter and her series Daughters of Lancaster County. If you like reading about the Amish, Brunstetter can really tell a story.
As mentioned in a previous post Hailey Abbott's "Summer Boys" series are easy reads and entertaining.
If you are into Love/Medical dramas Lurlene Mcdaniel's book are amazing, and short easy reads. Be prepared to cry though! Her books are heartfelt and send good messages. I own over half of her books. My favorites of Mcdaniels are "Don't Die My Love", "Angels Trilogy", "Angels In Pink Series", "Telling Christina Goodbye", and the "One Last Wish Series".
If you are into classics reading books like "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck is also short and worth reading.
If you are into mysteries and figure out the end type books "I Am The Cheese" by Robert Cormier is exciting and full of twists.
Last but not least.. I was wondering if anybody has read "Just Listen" by Sarah Dessen? I have or have read a majority of her books but have not heard of Just Listen.
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

Anything by Meg Cabot is good, especially Princess Diaries.
Also, Uglies, by... um, I forget.
thanks.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
Frequent Contributor
pmcoulter
0 Kudos

nannakins_23 wrote:
Thanks!

Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy is very good. I find it amazingly appropriate despite its age. I don't think it was meant to be a coming-of-age series, but it deals with making choices, do-able choice versus easy choice, and the difference that makes.
Contributor
widget11
0 Kudos

I recommend

Elsewhere - I don't remember the author's name right now... I beleive it was Gabrielle Zevin... but, that could be totally wrong
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by ANNE BRASHARES is wonderful!
Criss Cross is great... Again, I can't remember the author...

Hope you enjoy all these sugguestions!