Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.

Lines may divide us, but hope will unite us ...Nine-year-old Bruno knows nothing of the Final Solution and the Holocaust. He is oblivious to the appalling cruelties being inflicted on the people of Europe by his country. All he knows is that he has been moved from a comfortable home in Berlin to a house in a desolate area where there is nothing to do and no one to play with. Until he meets Shmuel, a boy who lives a strange parallel existence on the other side of the adjoining wire fence and who, like the other people there, wears a uniform of striped pyjamas. Bruno's friendship with Shmuel will take him from innocence to revelation. And in exploring what he is unwittingly a part of, he will inevitably become subsumed by the terrible process.

I'm sure you guys have heard of this book since it became a movie. I'm reading it now but I haven't gotten to the part where he meets Shmuel (the boy in the striped pajamas). There wasn't a thread for it so I decided to make one. Did you read this? If so, what did you think?

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Wordsmith
Vampires-and-Spongebob
0 Kudos

Re: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne.

I have heard of this book but I never knew it was a movie! Ha ha! Once your finished with it tell me what you thought of it! :smileywink:
"Behold the male beast roaring in the jungle for his mate. See how the female beast giggles behind a shrub while she organizes her voice to say 'Pardon dear, did you say something?'"~Elphaba, Wicked, pg.102-103
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Okay I will. Right now I'm like almost halfway through and I still haven't read about the little Jewish boy. I'm getting antsy haha.
"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
New User
smileyface93
0 Kudos

:smileysad:I read that book. It is really good and sad i cried at the end, it was wayy unexpected ending.
Frequent Contributor
AlliD
0 Kudos

I've read parts of this book and thought it seemed great, but too depressing. The movie is apparently amazing too. I might try and finish it in spite of how sad it is. 
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Okay so I just finished it. While it was depressing, I have read more depressing Holocaust books. So I find it to be readable to people who are easily disturbed. It's narrated in third person but you basically see the Holocaust in the eyes of a naive son of a Nazi commandent. Really good though. I'm lucky that I finished it almost in time for the movie to come out on DVD. I didn't even plan that either lol.

- Edward Cullen
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

The movie was FANTASTIC. The ending was exactly as I imagined it. Even better. The guy that played Kurt was just as cruel and disgusting as I imagined him. What did you guys think?

- Edward Cullen
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

I just bought the book today!! 

I plan on reading it after Lock & Key :smileyhappy: 

Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

It's a great book and the movie is great too! You have to get the movie as soon as you're finished with the book. Let me know what you think about the ending!

- Edward Cullen
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

All right, I will!! I am super excited! 
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

So I just finished the book today... I think it was really interesting, especially since its from the POV of a 9-year old, so he doesnt really know what is happening.

SPOILER!!

But OMG, the ending. It was so sad. Like the way he describes it isnt sad at all, but just knowing what was happening to them was so depressing!  

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Did you see the movie yet? They portray the ending of the book perfectly. They portray everything perfectly actually. I might like the movie more than the book ... I just watched Marley and Me btw. I'm SO glad I  didn't see that in theaters because I was honestly trying to hold back the sobs. I don't know what it is but I always cry more when animals die than when people die. Unless I know the person.

- Edward Cullen
Inspired Contributor
chesca123
0 Kudos

I'm reading it now actually but i just can't seem to get into it. Its probably the shortest book I have ever read, yet its taking me FOREVER to read it.

Im about half-way through yet Bruno still hasn't met Shmuel.

I guess the only reason i haven't given up yet it because my friends have told me the ending. "Apparently" its one of the best novels/movies to read/see at the moment. And to be frank i hate giving up on things lol.

Hopefully it will get better though!

Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

OMG. They told you the ending?! I'd be so ticked off. It took me a while too. I know Schmuel doesn't come into the book until like halfway and as annoying as it is, I just have to say be patient. Because it gets good.

- Edward Cullen
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

I havent seen the movie yet. I might get it tonight, but I'm not sure just because this weekend is supposed to be my study weekend for a huge test on Tuesday. But I will see it as soon as possible. It is a hard book to read just because it isnt really like descriptive I think, but the fact that it is from a POV of a 9 year old is kinda crazy and really interesting. I'd say keep reading because once you meet Schmuel, it'll go by fast. 
New User
melissa_saldana
0 Kudos

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne at first when i starting reading the boy I honestly thought it was boring, so I gave up on the book and watched the movie instead. After the movie I thought it was really good and very sad, so i picked up the book and gave it another chance and I read it and it was different from the movie the book was much more sad and motivating. i think that "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" was a really GOOD book. :smileyhappy:

New User
Richard_99
0 Kudos

I read this book and I thought it was a really good book :smileyhappy: It was really sad at the end :smileysad: