Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Enderthexenocide
0 Kudos

The Ender Wiggin Saga

Has ANYBODY ready Ender's Game or Speaker For the Dead? Or any of the others for that matter? Post here about discussions of likes and dislikes! If you like it as much as me please discuss!
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Re: The Ender Wiggin Saga

I really enjoyed Ender's Game and the Ender's Shadow series, however the original followups (Speaker for the dead, xenoside, ect.) Made me feel like I was being hit in the head with a bat while someone screamed "Genoside is BAD!" In my ear. (Funnily enough I knew that already)
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
Enderthexenocide
0 Kudos

Well, the reason you felt that way is because of the trauma Ender went through as a kid blowing an intelligent race that was not understood into kingdom come! The main theme of Speaker For the Dead isn't just about the Piggies but also about the process Ender goes through to come to terms with the fact he pulled off humanities biggest crime and that even if he knew the training simulator was actually the battle, he still would've done it.
Contributor
ViolinFreak
0 Kudos

I'm in love with those books, ever since I read Ender's Game when I was 6. I liked Ender's Shadow a little better, only because it went into more depth with Bean, who was one of my favorite characters. Now, I'm 13 and have read them all at least 5 times each!
Very few series creates what the Ender Saga has. It's been an incredible experience reading them.
-Megan
"The doors of wisdom are never shut"
Benjamin Franklin
Contributor
Enderthexenocide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree entirely, Im 12 and I probably got Ender's Game less that a month ago and im now on Xenocide. I havnt read and of the Shadows books, ( Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Headgemon, ect.) But the are absolutely amazing. But one question, are the Shadow books any good?

Message Edited by Enderthexenocide on 09-08-2007 06:05 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Enderthexenocide wrote:
I agree entirely, Im 12 and I probably got Ender's Game less that a month ago and im now on Xenocide. I havnt read and of the Shadows books, ( Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Headgemon, ect.) But the are absolutely amazing. But one question, are the Shadow books any good?

Message Edited by Enderthexenocide on 09-08-2007 06:05 PM

Yes they are as good as the orginal books. I am sure you will enjoy them all.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I understand what the plot reason was for that message, but it was a bit overdone, and made the books unenjoyable for me, I think it was an unnessary message, because most people open minded enough to be reading this series already know that genocide is wrong.
Enders Game is a great book, the Shadow books are very enjoyable, but I feel the other books in the main series suffered because they were too blugeoning with a message that IMHO is obvious.

Enderthexenocide wrote:
Well, the reason you felt that way is because of the trauma Ender went through as a kid blowing an intelligent race that was not understood into kingdom come! The main theme of Speaker For the Dead isn't just about the Piggies but also about the process Ender goes through to come to terms with the fact he pulled off humanities biggest crime and that even if he knew the training simulator was actually the battle, he still would've done it.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

That's my schools book club book right now. I'm honestly not really into sci-fi. There are actually 2 brothers in my school named Andrew and Peter Wiggin...no joke.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

All right, I'm trying to get through this book as fast as I can, but it's not working. I read the Order of the Pheonix in 6 hours and this alone takes 7 hours. I frankly am NOT a fan of sci fi. I would give this book a 1.5 out of 5. Must they use the word fart in every other sentence? And no matter HOW genius of a 6 year old you are, you still would not act or talk the way Ender talks. It's pain to drag through this book. I still have 45 more pages for tomorrow. Better go drag through them.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.