Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
draytone84
0 Kudos

The Hunger Games Trilogy

I am almost done with the third book in this series but I wanted to ask:

If you've read the Harry Potter series, did you find yourself comparing this one to that one?

If you didn't (or tried not to compare it) how were you able to separate the two?

If you did compare them to each other, which would you say is better suited for the age range it is reaching out to?

Frequent Contributor
Tabithia_Storm
0 Kudos

Re: The Hunger Games Trilogy

Okay, i haven't actually finished the first book, but I can say this: i don' t think it is right to compare books. I have had many people reccomend these books to me and am leary about starting them. Here's the thing, the last major series i had reccommended to me was twilight and i wasn't impressed. Honestly anything that people compare to something else should slightly be similar. When people compare a book about wizards to a book about vampires, or anything, it just isn't fair.

I'll never be what you want
I wouldn't change any part of me.
Never Be What You Want- We Are The In Crowd
Contributor
LisaPhillips
0 Kudos

Re: The Hunger Games Trilogy

I have to agree with ^ (sorry, forgot to look at the name). I haven't read the Harry Potter books, but many friends of mine have and have discussed them with me, and I've seen the movies. Comparing Hunger Games (which I read and loved all three) to Harry Potter is comparing apples and oranges, for lack of a better cliche. Not only with the plot lines, but also, isn't Harry Potter written in third person? The Hunger Games is written in first, so the style of the book and how information is revealed is entirely different. Yup, no comparison possible if you ask me.