Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE

The Return of an Older Series

Long before Twilight emerged on the Teen Lit scene, L.J. Smith had a series called The Vampire Diaries.  Originally published in the '90s, the series involves some of the same subjects as Twilight, but I think Smith's series has a little more bite so to speak.  I am not knocking the Meyer series in any way, I own all four books and love Edward, Bella, the Cullens, and everyone else...but I will always love The Vampire Diaries and I suggest them to anyone who hasn't read them and loves the Twilight books.  

Stephan Salvatore and his brother Damon are as different as night and day.  One brother is noble, caring, loving and humane while the other wants to wreak havoc on the world eternally and when a girl gets between them, old hatred dies hard and the reader sees there is much more to the story than good brother vs. bad brother.

I really like the action in these books and that the vampires are a bit more vampiric and not subdued.  

Again, I recommend them, I think anyone who liked the Twilight books will love Smith's vampires.

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
0 Kudos

Vampire Diaries

I read the Twilight Saga last year and fell in love with the fierce love story.  I know that it was written for teens, but I couldn't get enough of it!  I have been looking for something to equal it, so I tried the Vampire Diaries.   So far, I actually almost like this more because of the back history between the brothers.  I have only finished "The Awakening," so we'll have to wait and see if Smith keeps the storyline going. 

Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

Re: The Return of an Older Series

I really enjoy both book series. =] However, I do not really like the Twilight movies (people, please don't hate me), even though Taylor Lautner is HOT!!!! I do really like the Vampire Diaries series. It is amazing!!! =D

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

The Vampire Diaries #1-2  The Vampire Diaries #3-4  were good books and the story kept me interested but with the additions she as added LJ Smith has lost my interest with Nightfall (Vampire Diaries  and I havent even bothered to go get the latest book because I felt the story got way out of hand in Nightfall.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

To clarify my last post, I meant the Vampire Diaries television series. =D

Contributor
4Pookas
0 Kudos

I agree with Lexa, I thought the story got really ridiculous and I lost interest as the characters started losing more and more human elements.  I haven't bought the latest one either.

~Angela
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

4Pookas wrote:

I agree with Lexa, I thought the story got really ridiculous and I lost interest as the characters started losing more and more human elements.  I haven't bought the latest one either.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Thanks.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Jillian12
0 Kudos

4Pookas wrote:

My hat goes off to all of you that chose not to invest in the last books!  I thought, "I read this far, I want to see where she takes it from here."  It was a total disappointment.  I wish I hadn't read them.  It ends with Damon turning human again!  Please!  Elena was some sort of spirit for a while, and get this...she's a virgin!  Yeah right!!!  I wish I would have quit after the second book. 

Contributor
SayrahB
0 Kudos