Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

I just finished reading it and was wondering if anyone else has had the chance to read it. I, personally, thought it was quite good. It was a nice change from the Cullen family circle we are used to. While I knew how it would all end from the beginning, I still found myself getting attached to the characters. It was kinda of depressing but a nice treat to see the Twilight world from a different place. I thought she left one loose end though, so she could continue on with the story in Fred though, and I am really happy for that and hope she writes another novel and novella from his perspective. So now, what did anyone else think of the book? Did you like the characters? Did you like the back story? Did you like the insight you got on the big fight? What did you think of Bree, Diego, and Fred?

Inspired Contributor
I_read_books
0 Kudos

Re: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

I haven't read the book yet. I'm still not sure if I want to read it. But if it was good...maybe...

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

I liked it, I mean I'm not a Twilight lover (telling the truth I hate the books and movies), but to me Stephenie kinda wrote this book in a new way and the way she made the vampires was more like the vampires I liked to it was a little bit better then Twilight to me. I didn't really care about Bree in Eclipse, but after reading this I feel really bad for her, no one deserves to have a life like that. SPOILER*** And to make it worse she loses Diego, so that was pretty bad.

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
b00kwerm
0 Kudos

I liked it. It was good, and I enjoyed seeing another character's view. =] I wish that we could get every character's back story, and not just in Twilight but in other books as well.

I'm still a little confused regarding Fred, and I can't pin down my problem with him. :/ Bree and Diego... sigh. SOOO CUTE together!!!

**SPOILER**

Why did he have to die???? I got attached. LOL

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

Anyone else kinda want to know what happened to Fred? He had that gift for no one to see him, so I wonder if he made it or not.

And the thing with the Volturi arriving to see Riley and Victoria, what was that all about? It was when Diego and Bree were watching them in the forest.. right before Diego got killed.

To be honest, I loved this book. Something about the way Stephenie writes, you just get sucked in. It's of course sad on the way it ended, but nice to know the other side of the story so to speak.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover
0 Kudos

I am thinking she might be planning something new with Fred. It might be wishful thinking, but she did leave it wide open with possibility. 

And the whole thing with the Voturi makes me wonder too. Did they want the Cullens to lose?

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

KaylaNicole_MusicLover wrote:

I am thinking she might be planning something new with Fred. It might be wishful thinking, but she did leave it wide open with possibility. 

And the whole thing with the Voturi makes me wonder too. Did they want the Cullens to lose?

I know, I really hope she does something with him. He seemed like an interesting character and I think she could get a very good story line off of him. I REALLY want to know why the Volturi where there. It's been bugging me for days, and I hate that I can't figure it out. I think it bugs me, that they acted so innocent at the field, like they had no clue about these vampires. Damn politics :smileywink:

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Inspired Contributor
KaylaNicole_MusicLover
0 Kudos

wheeze wrote:

I know, I really hope she does something with him. He seemed like an interesting character and I think she could get a very good story line off of him. I REALLY want to know why the Volturi where there. It's been bugging me for days, and I hate that I can't figure it out. I think it bugs me, that they acted so innocent at the field, like they had no clue about these vampires. Damn politics :smileywink:

Maybe if she writes another book with Fred she could tell more about why the Volturi were there? That would be nice. It is very open ended. 

New User
MGandy
0 Kudos

I also wondered about the volturi being there.... so they were obviously lying in the field when they said they had come to clean up the mess.... were they really wanting to clean up the Cullens....

maybe we'll be hearing more from the Cullen family soon! i know I sure hope so!!!!

New User
gleekPM
0 Kudos

I liked this book a lot. Like you said, it was a nice change to get out of the cullen/jacob mind for a bit. I liked how they kind of interpreted more of this books details in with the eclipse movie. When I saw the previews for Eclipse, I was completely confused with Riley's character until I read Bree Tanner's story. I would love it if Stephanie wrote some more about Fred.

Every story has an END, but in LIFE, every END is a new BEGINNING.
Contributor
ceaux
0 Kudos

I've read it and I too became attached to the character even though I knew she would not live. I love the companionship her and Diego had. I was sad that it had to end.

Contributor
twilightluverJF
0 Kudos

luv the book!cant wait till they make the movie!

New User
JECKA5617
0 Kudos

IT WAS VERY GOOD. I HOPE SHEDOES MORE TO TOUCH ON THE CHARACTERS A BIT MORE..:smileyvery-happy:

New User
blue4
0 Kudos

ok so i bought the book and when i started reading it was rather boring. so now i need some motive to keep reading it. i rly want to finish it but i just can't seem to.

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

blue4 wrote:

ok so i bought the book and when i started reading it was rather boring. so now i need some motive to keep reading it. i rly want to finish it but i just can't seem to.

Well.. its a short book, does that count?! If you like Twilight, and now the whole Bree story from that side, its good to finish and see where she ends up. Not sure what else there is, for me, I just wanted to know her side of the story and how she got where.

Although, Meyer does bring in a new character, that most of us hope will start a new series of books for her!

— Marilyn Monroe
Contributor
Ashlee32
0 Kudos

I reread all the Twilight books, and then read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.  I loved reading a "Twilight" book from a different narrator's perspective.  I find that this book answered a lot of questions that I had or rather deepened my understanding of a few things such as the Volturi's involvement in Eclipse and how the army was "undetected" for so long.  I hope Stephenie Meyer writes more novellas like this.  I also hope she finally finishes Midnight Sun (Twilight from Edward's perspective) because that will be amazing.

New User
VickiP17
0 Kudos

I actually really liked this book. It took me about a chapter or two to really get into it though. I read it because I sent my husband to the bookstore and he didn't know what one I wanted so he bought whatever Stefenie Meyer he could find lol. I read it while waiting on breaking dawn. A nice quick read. My thoughts:

I like how she left Fred open. I am hoping that this is a loop that she can get us another book where the Cullens maybe meet him? I admit I haven't gotten to read BD yet, so Im not sure if that really "ends" the Twilight story or not. So maybe it isn't possible, but I would love to see it go on. I think Fred can  be that link.

I also think Diego is kind of left open. We don't really know for sure that he died right? It was just assumed wasn't it? That she THOUGHT when Riley came back he was talking about "her" tearing him apart. But we never really got confirmation, right? I might have missed it, but I don't think we did.

I read Eclipse before I read this. I also saw the movie, once. So I still wasn't very clear on the whole thing with the Volturi and their involvement as far as knowing about the fight. I was kind of confused at the end of the movie, and I didn't really pick up on it much in the book. So I liked how this kind of sewed that up for me. It explained really well how much they actually knew. Though Im still not really sure why the Volturri wanted them to go after the Cullens. I thought their only problem with them was Bella being human. Unless they just figured it would be fun to see how powerful the Cullens really were? Because surely they knew they would destroy the army. I don't know though. Any thoughts on that are appreciated.

Overall- nice short read. Takes a minute to get into it if you like Twilight bc of the romance more than the vampire story, but still good. You do end up caring about the characters.

Contributor
Abby_Cat

***SPOILER***

I really appreciated this book. VickiP, Diego is dead lol. I'm sorry to be so blunt. I didn't want to believe it either, but, yes, he is gone. The Volturi disliked the Cullens probably because they always seem to wiggle their way out of trouble: Edward almost revealed himself at the end of the second book, Bella is still not human, etc. The Volturi were kind of hoping that the army would take out the Cullens so they wouldn't have to. That is why they were there.

I really liked reading this part of the story from another point of view. When Bree was about to be killed, Edward was saying "close your eyes", or "don't watch" or something along those eyes. In Eclipse, Bella thinks he is talking to her so she doesn't have to see Bree being murdered, so she closes her eyes. But in this book, you realize he is talking to Bree because they are having a conversation that no one else knows about. EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT YOU BELLA!!!! haha

~~~Abby~~~
Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this one too, the Bree POV was refreshing. Like others I also became attached to the characters even when I knew they would be gone by the end :smileysad:

Reader 2
Bella_Luna01
0 Kudos

I am still reading the The Twilight Series atm, I have just started reading Eclipse.  I did purchase The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and I think I will read it following Breaking Dawn.  I am interested to see how the story is portrayed through the eyes of another character.:smileyhappy:

Bella_Luna01