Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Thoughts on Kindle vs.Nook

What do you guys think about the kindle and the nook? Which one is better do you think?

My opinion is that :

the kindle is nice and easy to read. But I own a nook and I have to say that the nook is better. The navigation on the nook is a lot easer and the Nook looks a lot better.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Re: Thoughts on Kindle vs.Nook

I love my Nook Color.  I don't know if you were talking about the 1st gen, but the Color is the best e-reader that's come out in my opinion.  I love the increased functionality, it's practically a tablet, not just a reader.  I love the backlit display (since I often read before bed) and I have no problem reading it outdoors in the bright sun either, so I really don't see why someone would pick the Kindle instead except for increased book availabilty, but I think over time, B&N will catch up. 

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

I was talking about the latest gen. I agree about the kindle. It is really nice to read outside!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Hi you guys!!! I can prove the nook is better because gess were i'm writing this from!thats right its my nook!!!! There may be somespelling or grammer errors but it' all from the nook!! Nook forever!!!
Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Correspondent
dragon560
0 Kudos

GO NOOK!!!!

Quote-"a book always keeps something of its owner between its pages"

dragons rock~
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson

I LOVE the Nook and I love it even more because every friday they give away a free book.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

They do?? I don't have a nook but that makes me want one even more!

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Distinguished Correspondent
the_vampire_girl
0 Kudos

I have the Kindle so of course I have to say it's better, although all e-readers are great! I like the Kindle because of the large quantity of books, the text to speech, the wi-fi and because it was the first.  When comparing the Nook and the Kindle - they are pretty similar, and are both great.  

- the vampire girl ♥

currently reading: Beautiful Creatures + The Forest of Hands and Teeth

http://itisabookthing.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Yeah, my dad got the Kindle because of the increased battery life and he doesn't need the tablet aspects of it, but I would be sad if I had a Kindle.

The main reason the NookColor is better than the Kindle, for me, is because I do the majority of my reading in bed and the backlit display on my NookColor is awesome for that.  I also love listening to my Pandora station on there, I check my Facebook updates, I read truuconfessions and Huffington post, I even read messages from my friends here at B&N.  I also love to play chess on it and my husband does too.  And, people may say that they don't care about color, but if that was true, then we would still have plenty of black & white TVs around.  I love color, not only for my beautiful book covers and magazine photos, but also for browsing the internet.  The NookColor boasts an amazing color display.  It's so vivid and beautiful. 

Some of my other favorite features would be the ability to quote favorite passages and share them on my Facebook via the NookColor.  I love to do that especially for my LendMe books so my friends on there can get a taste of the book and perhaps decide to borrow it.  Speaking of LendMe books, there is another reason to prefer the NookColor.  Sure, it's only one lending ever and not all books come with even that, but it makes it more likely that e-books will replace our paper-style libraries, because we can lend our new books out sometimes now, just like our old books.  I'm also trying to get in the habit of highlighting and making notes about my favorite parts which is something I would never have done to my paper books.  I wouldn't want to damage them by writing in them, but an e-book can always have the notes erased and it's perfectly new again unmarred by my opinions or bad handwriting.

So, I can say, for many reasons, why the NookColor is better than a Kindle, but if you think charging your e-reader is such an inconvenience and you can't wait for publishers to catch up on book availability then, pick the Kindle, but those are the only two advantages to having one in my opinion, compared to a dozen or more advantages to having the NookColor. 

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson

I love the free Fridays! They are pretty amazing! By the way is anybody reading last week's free book;The Apothecary's daughter? I is really good but 400 pages so i'm not quite finished.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson

*addicted to nook*

Sorry that was an inside thought:smileyhappy:

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

Is there anyone who has had both a Nook and Kindle? Or someone has one with a friend who has the other? I am just wondering because though I do think I would miss the color and like a touch screen better, I probably going to ask for it as a birthday present and my parents are probably only going to only pay $150. I am willing to pay the difference for a Nook if it is totally worth it, but also have to think that I am going to college in a couple years, only have a summer job for 2 weeks each summer, and I know $100 isn't much in the grand scheme of things but it's something so...help?

There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

First off; my dad has a kindle and I have a nook.

But I really don't know what you are asking though.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants

Esme -  I have a NookColor and my dad picked a Kindle, so I've seen both and I definitely recommend saving the extra money to get a NookColor!  They are awesome and can do so much more than the Kindle can!  They're practically a mini-tablet and some people root theirs to use it primarily as one.  A Kindle can't ever be used for most of that stuff.  I actually posted a huge list of all my favorite NC things over on the NC boards.  I'll link it to you and you can see all the stuff that I think is so great about having one.  Let me know when you get yours and maybe I'll let you be my LendMe friend too.  /grin  I do have about 50 LendMe books right now and only 4 LendMe friends, so that's quite a few free options for everyone to share.  :smileyhappy: 

Here's the link to my huge post about the NC that my dad said I should've charged B&N for... lol I think they should hire me to their marketing team at the very least!  And if I see my words in their upcoming commercials, I'm suing!  Lol. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Reasons-to-get-your-first-e-read...

I think I got almost all the main points, but the posters after me remembered a few more, so you should read the whole thread.  It's still less than one page, so there's not that much to read, but it should help you decide!  :smileyhappy:

esme_cullen24
0 Kudos

Thank you so much SandraPants!!!! It really did help! I have wanted a Nook color basically since they came out but kept becoming unsure of myself when it came time to commit to it because either I would see another device and would say to myself "How do I know this one isn't better?" even after I had read tons of reviews, or I would hear people moan and groan about how they have an e-reader and don't really like it. The only cons I really see about it is that I won't be able to lend out books as often as I like and I wish it had 3G capabilities. Once again, thank you very much!

There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.-----Emily Dickinson
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

You're welcome and I agree with those two things, but you will find there are tons of places that have wi-fi and if you have a wireless router at home, you're already set for your house!  The only place I can't get online that I wish I could is my husband's work.  Other than that, I've never missed it.  Happy early birthday too!

Contributor
bookaliciouspam
0 Kudos

I am actually very tech minded and I chose Nook over Kindle for several reasons, the product pricing structures are similar and Amazon tends to save what titles you bought, the passages you highlighted and other things for targeted marketing towards you for later. Not to mention their all out wars with other companies that sometimes takes the 'Kindle' button away form months at a time. I love my little Nook Wifi.

http://bookalico.us
Inspired Correspondent
K-Wags
0 Kudos

Hunger games how do you get the free Friday books? This is also being typed from my nookcolor. :smileyhappy:
Eclipse Pictures, Images and Photos
Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

The way to do it on the nook classic is to go to the store and at the bottom there is " offers and promotions" and it should say "free friday book". Then you scroll down and click on it and then click "buy for free". I would assume that it is the same thing for the nook color.

I love typing from my nook!!

This week's free friday book was listen. It should still be free.

Mother Teresa
Francis of Assisi

Wordsmith
shygirlTB
0 Kudos

hi hunger games person how are you doing

the clouds i can handle but i cant fight an eclipse
jacob black =)