Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

Torment by Lauren Kate

Anyone else read this? What did you think? I thought it was slightly better than Fallen, but still a big cliffhanger. I'm bothered by the fact that readers are supposed to take for granted the Luce/Daniel relationship.

Contributor
BreaEssex
0 Kudos

Re: Torment by Lauren Kate

I liked it more than Fallen, same as you.  Although cliffhangers drive me crazy, I was a little glad to see Luce go off on her own.  Daniel kind of irritated me with him keeping her in the dark so much.  I know he was trying to protect her, but maybe if he had elaborated a little, she would have stayed on campus like he asked her!  I wonder how Gabbe is going to explain things to Luce's parents . . . 

http://breaessex.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

By the end of it I wasn't so sure I liked Daniel or not. Or better said, I don't think I even know Daniel. It a problem I have with this series, it's to cryptic for my taste. I liked some answers given in these books, like shadows = Announcers, but yes the cliffhangers are driving me crazy too.

Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

I agree, Daniel is a little too mysterious.  But that is kind of his allure.  I like that the prologue and epilogue are in his voice... I wish that he was mixed in the actual book more often though because that's the only way we're really getting to know him.

I too hate cliff hangers so I'm gunna b going nuts til Summer, but I did not like this ending.  I mean, I guess it'll be pretty awesome watching Daniel search for his love but I'm so mad at Luce for just taking off.  Grrr

Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted

What I'm most excited about is whose side will Daniel choose? If its so hard for him to choose between good and evil...

at least, thats the only options we know from Luce. There could be more at stake then let on.

Or if Cam were to win this battle, how would the world be different? Cam doesn't seem revoltingly evil to me to do anything too drastic.

----------------------------------------------
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

I'm still reading Fallen but it sounds pretty good so far. I can't wait to read Torment. Isn't she coming out with another book in a few months?

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Contributor
haysel13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I finished reading TORMENT about a week ago and I have to say: I ... loved it! Sometimes when reading a series in the Young Adult genre - more specifically paranormal romance such as the FALLEN Novels - authors  tend to lose the dynamic between the couples or their dynamic gets boring or the story even drags. But fortunately for us devoted fans, Lauren Kate managed to surpass that obstacle and give us a good storyline, some tender lines from Daniel to Luce,  a bit of action and we're still begging for more! As readers, what more can we ask for? With that, I am glad to say that I am tormented by the next 8-10 months ahead of me in anticipation for the release of PASSION.

Always,

Haysel

Join my FanSite for Lauren Kate's FALLEN Novels and be on the look out for my first FALLEN-TORMENT contest:

The FALLEN

Check out my full review of TORMENT at:

The Tattered Page

New User
MeAllAlong
0 Kudos

I just finished reading this book last night and all I can say is that this book stayed true to its title.  I kept feeling like I was reading the same part over and over, Luce practically swooning when she was with Daniel, his wings, their size, how soft they were...blah blah blah and then they fight.   I mean please, and this is suppose to be "true love"?  I cant help but see Luce as a bratty teenage girl, never listening to what anyone tells her.  I still dont understand why she is so special. 

Does anyone have any theories as to why Luce lost her wings and became sort of human? I am thinking she fell like all the Angels, and Daniel followed her and if he chooses "good," he will have to give her up... But the question remains why is she so special??

Inspired Contributor
kristyn711
0 Kudos

I think I took something different out of Luce's situation.  I thought she was a human, but because Daniel chose to love her, he was punished for chosing her over heaven and she burst into flames and was reborn again to "torment" him and punish him again.  I saw her life as an every 17 years or so punishment Daniel had to live through.  This time is different, though, as she wasn't baptized for the first time, so when she dies, she "dies" and cannot come back. 

I personally liked the book.  I wish I had a few more answers, but am sure Lauren will give them to us in Passion.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
New User
MeAllAlong
0 Kudos

Yes you may be correct, that is quite possible.  But there are were a few hints that made me think Luce was a Fallen Angel.  The most obvious is the star arrows, they explained that those do not harm humans, and we saw it when Callie got injured by one of those.  When Luce tries to protect Daniel by standing in front of him when one of the outcast is point an arrow at him, Daniel is terrified and he looks guilty (meaning he did not tell her the truth).  Second, there is a part where Daniel specifically asks Luce not to touch the arrows.  And lastly, when Cam shoots Luce at the end, he is sure that she will die with one of those.  Again, if she was just human the star arrows would do no harm to her.

Also, Luce is really good with a sword, even though she has never used one, at least in this life, it is like it is coming back to her.  Then when Steven and Francesca show them the Announcer in class, everyone else is very affected by it, but not Luce, and Steven goes on to comment that Luce was ready to view a thing like that, unlike the other students. 

Also, when the Fallen Angels get, rattled up, for a lack of a better word, their wings come out and there is a part at the end of the book whenLuce says that she feels something in her shoulders that affects her whole body...

But then again, I may be over analyzing things, I tend to do that.

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

haysel13 wrote:

I finished reading TORMENT about a week ago and I have to say: I ... loved it! Sometimes when reading a series in the Young Adult genre - more specifically paranormal romance such as the FALLEN Novels - authors  tend to lose the dynamic between the couples or their dynamic gets boring or the story even drags. But fortunately for us devoted fans, Lauren Kate managed to surpass that obstacle and give us a good storyline, some tender lines from Daniel to Luce,  a bit of action and we're still begging for more! As readers, what more can we ask for? With that, I am glad to say that I am tormented by the next 8-10 months ahead of me in anticipation for the release of PASSION.

Always,

Haysel

Join my FanSite for Lauren Kate's FALLEN Novels and be on the look out for my first FALLEN-TORMENT contest:

The FALLEN

Check out my full review of TORMENT at:

The Tattered Page

I love that Passion is supposed to be a prequel. I really want to know more about Daniel and Luce and its something that's bothered me for a while now.

Following your blog bb :smileywink:

MeAllAlong- I so want her to be a Fallen Angel. To be honest the Cam part, I just thought if he shot her with an arrow she would be hurt you know? It's still an arrow lol. But I'm pretty sure Luce isn't just human, so I'd love her to be a ~Fallen Angel~

Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

I don't really think I thought of her being a fallen angel too.  But I was wondering about why are they freaking out about the arrows if she is human.

But the other thing I was thinking about was Daniel having such a hard time choosing a side.  It made me think something like, if he chooses the side of good he will have to leave Luce forever but that he really doesn't wanna choose the side of evil.  Iono... that's just what I was thinking. 

Can't wait for the 3rd book!!!!

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

Kaley_T wrote:

I don't really think I thought of her being a fallen angel too.  But I was wondering about why are they freaking out about the arrows if she is human.

But the other thing I was thinking about was Daniel having such a hard time choosing a side.  It made me think something like, if he chooses the side of good he will have to leave Luce forever but that he really doesn't wanna choose the side of evil.  Iono... that's just what I was thinking. 

OMG. What if whatever she turns out to be, she's on the opposite side of Daniel's. If that makes any sense *dies*

One of the things that bother me a lot, is that Luce has no clue what's going on, lol.

Frequent Contributor
Superbookworm
0 Kudos

I'm still trying to decide if I want to read Fallen and Torment.  I've seen alot of mixed reviews.  The storyline sounds good tho.

Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

It's worth the read.  I really do think it'll be worth it in the end.  Gotta wait for the next book.

New User
SammyBaker
0 Kudos

I loved the sequel to 'Fallen', I thought 'Torment' gave a greater insight to the characters and I could easily sympathise with Luce.

However, it is very obvious that the person who picks a side (which the whole war is hanging on) is not Daniel. It's Luce. No Angel can survive a Starshoot, yet it hardly harms a Mortal. Near the end of the book, it became obvious that everyone expected the Starshoot to harm Luce. Luce is an angel. It is her decision that the war is waiting for - which is why she is so important.

Daniel is important aswell - he would choose the same as Luce. He was an 'important' angel before he fell so I think this makes him have power and influence over others.

I really don't like cliff hangers, but thought this ending suited Luce's personality perfectly. I wanted her to escape the confusion and get away from it all (my only con is that I wish she had taken Miles with her!)

Through 'Torment' I have gone off Daniel. His personality is showing less 'angelic' qualities, it wouldn't suprise me if Daniel turned out to be more demon then angel. I think there is a reverse somewhere, maybe the Outcasts are the actual good guys?

I really enjoyed this book, and have come to the conclusion that Luce is an Angel - but I don't think she has fallen. She is welcome in 'heaven' and the only people that are keeping her on Earth are the people that want to use her to get back into Heaven.

A very good book. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Kaley_T
0 Kudos

Was at Border's yesterday and they had t-shirts!  I got all excited!  Are they gunna make a movie or something?

Frequent Contributor
lydia1087
0 Kudos

Torment was better than the first book but Daniel did annoy me.I dont understand why he couldnt tell her anything. Miles was a great by but to nice for my taste. I know that Luce and Daniel will get back together but Im glad she left. Everyone was lying around her or not telling the whole truth. If Luce knew the truth from the beginning then she wouldnt have wondered off campus. How can she listen to his rules when he doesnt give her anything in return.

I cant wait for Passion. This book cant come fast enough.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I like the way the author is peeling away layers so we get hints of what is to come. I have some suspicions about Luce, but no real evidence for the direction my mind is going.

Did you see the Facebook chat with Lauren Kate at B&N last week? She answered a ton of questions about this series: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=17900&uid=9122810019

Inspired Contributor
Sailor_Bonz
0 Kudos

I was wondering the exact same thing. Maybe she is evil or something lol

shmy wrote:

Kaley_T wrote:

OMG. What if whatever she turns out to be, she's on the opposite side of Daniel's. If that makes any sense *dies*

One of the things that bother me a lot, is that Luce has no clue what's going on, lol.

"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
— Cassandra Clare (City of Bones)