Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Twilight: The Movie

What do some of you who were fans of the novel, Twilight, think about the movie?  Did it follow the spirit of the book, pretty much, in your opinion, or were you disappointed about some things?

I did not finish the book at first.  I'm not sure why--I lost patience with it somehow when I tried to read it some time ago.  I liked the movie, though--especially Rob Pattinson's and Kristen Stewart's performances.  That sent me back to the book, and I finished it, and now I've finished all 4 books of the series, plus Midnight Sun.  Ha!

The movie had a quirky, cult independent feel to it that I liked for some reason.  I did NOT like the makeup on the vampires--what were they thinking?  You can see where it leaves off on their necks, for heaven's sake!  Ha!  And the flying and fast running--well, let's just say there were effects, but I'm not sure how "special" they were!  I chalked that up again to the movie not having that big a budget. 

I loved the baseball scene!  Mostly, I just think the power of the romance in this movie is something else!  So refreshing!

What did you think?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Re: Twilight: The Movie

Hello there Connie!

Though I thought that the movie was better than the books, I did think it was lacking in many things, such as a real looking wig for Jacob, lousy special effects, and Edward's voice did not sound very alluring to me. I did like the condensation and the tone of the story. 

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I thought that while the "small movie" feel was nice, everything I disliked about the movie pretty much boiled down to the choice of director.  The fact that the make-up work looked poor onscreen (especially Peter Facinelli's - Data from Star Trek anyone?)?  A problem the director should have fixed.  The really obvious overacting by Rob and others?  A good director will do another take to get a subtle performance (seriously, the scene in the science classroom looked like Rob was going to vomit his last meal).  The really cheap-looking special effects (that are rumored to have been done on Final Cut - anything you can do on your home computer does not impress me in the least)?  Also, a poor choice by a director who has previously stated she doesn't like CGI.

I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty happy that rumors are going around saying Catherine Hardwicke will not be directing the next installment.

(PS - I did like the kid who played Jacob - perhaps he would have looked better with a hairpiece that didn't look so obviously like a wig)

ConnieK wrote:

I did NOT like the makeup on the vampires--what were they thinking?  You can see where it leaves off on their necks, for heaven's sake!  Ha!  And the flying and fast running--well, let's just say there were effects, but I'm not sure how "special" they were!  I chalked that up again to the movie not having that big a budget. 

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 12-17-2008 05:03 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

i guess i'm more of an optimist because i only thought about the parts i loved.

i loved the indie feel of the movie. and i liked the bad effects. it made it less mainstream.

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

I might be in the minority, but I'm pretty happy that rumors are going around saying Catherine Hardwicke will not be directing the next installment.

By now you probably know that the rumor was true and that Chris Weitz, who directed The Golden Compass, is taking over to do New Moon.

I see there is some disagreement among fans about whether or not this story, told from such a female point of view, will suffer in the hands of a male director.  What do you think?  Can Weitz pull it off?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

I thought that while the "small movie" feel was nice, everything I disliked about the movie pretty much boiled down to the choice of director. 

One element I would say she got completely right was her casting of Stewart and Pattinson.  They are the reason I'm even interested in this storyline and phenomenon now!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

shesaxsensation wrote:

i guess i'm more of an optimist because i only thought about the parts i loved.

i loved the indie feel of the movie. and i liked the bad effects. it made it less mainstream.

I think I agree, shesax.  They were almost like "anti-effects" effects, you know?  Kind of like a rebellion.  Sort of--we know we should have special effects for this, and they could be done better if we had more $, but we don't, and the story is really about these two Romeo & Julietesque characters anyway, so who cares how the effects look--or something like that.  The sort of careless, toss-away feel to the effects somehow added something raw to the power of the core story.  I could see how bad they were, but somehow I didn't care because all I cared about were the two main characters.  Weird!  It also struck me that the bad effects made it feel more like a movie by or about teens--they're making this effort without having a full set of resources available to them yet, so not quite getting it right.

I expect New Moon will improve the effects, though apparently it doesn't have a huge budget either, just a little more $ than Twilight had.  I wonder if I'll feel the same afterwards if the movie takes on this more mainstream, as you say, quality to it.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 12-18-2008 09:53 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

well i know they'll need money to go to italy.

then for the werewolves.

it'll really be disapointing if the werewolves look like cartoons or something though.

that's one thing i really wanna see with good effects.

i don't think my opinion can change on the movies. i love the books so much so as long as they do it mostly like the book, i'm good.

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
katie_mills
0 Kudos

I have to disagree. I'd much rather have good special effects. I think that having bad effects makes the movie more cheesy, and poorly done. However, I did like how there was a lot of raw emotion. There was an indie feel to it. I hope that that feel continues on to New Moon, but with better effects.
"Son, fear is the heart of love."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

They made millions on the first movie! They better'd not skimp on this one. They have no excuse this time.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

summit is still being kind of cheap though.

50 million for the whole movie.

ehh.

the movie made more than that the first weekend it was out.

chris weitz is amazing at effects from what i've heard though so i guess we'll be safe.

- Edward Cullen
Frequent Contributor
BakingQueen
0 Kudos

I thought the movie was missing parts
Correspondent
dholland08
0 Kudos

I went to see Twilight thinking I would hate it and left pleasantly surprised. I loved it!!! Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart gave stunning performances, bringing the characters I love from the book to life. The story flowed well and I was happy with (almost) everyone who was cast. Yeah, the special effects were cheesy but it helped make it endearing. I am disappointed that Catherine Hardwicke won't be directing New Moon. Especially since the new director is a man. Twilight is primarily a story for girls and women- I feel that a woman can only properly tell this story. But we'll see. Twilight the movie was fantastic, but it could never be as good as the book. 
"Good. I was afraid for a moment that I'd killed you a bit too early."
"Waiting for a special occasion to kill me? Christmas is coming." :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
operasinger34
0 Kudos

I hated the movie. I loved the baseball part. I also loved Kellan Lutz as Emmett, and Nikki Reed as Rosalie. I didn't like Rob and Kristen. I also think Summit should of given more money to the project because this is such a big, popular book. I also loved the kithen(sp?) part even though it was not in the movie. I was so glad Emmett got more lines because he is my favorite character. My best friend and I were chapping when he came on. I know alot of people prob. liked it, but that's just what I thought of it.

PS: I was crying when they toke of James' head. He was an awsome actor.

Don't tell Emmett, but I love Kellan more.
New User
booklover1018
0 Kudos

I completely agree with operasinger34.

The movie sucked d***. It was awful and it was a total let down.

The running scenes were pathetic and the acting by kirsten was even more pathetic.

She has no presence in her acting and its like she HATES her job.

She isn't right for the part because even though Bella doesn't have the highest self esteem she isn't shy. She is supposed to be brave! She is dealing with vampires for heaven's sake!

And Rob wasn't much better. In the book it protrays Edward to be a BEAUTIFUL creature. And i think people should acknowledge the fact that NO ONE would ever think Rob was BEAUTIFUL if he wasn't in this movie.  

And I LOVED the book so its not like I am a Twilight hater. Just the movie was sh*t.

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

I'm not sure

I mean the movie wa....

ehh

there were some parts I liked

I Love the baseball scene that's probaby my favorite part in the movie

well that and every part with Jasper! ha!

Jasper's my favorite charatocr in the whole series

I like him more than Edward, and I love Edward

I don't like Kristan for Bella, I thought- in my head while reading the books- that Bella's voice would be softer, Kristan's voice has this edge to it that's not right for Bella, but that's just my opion....

and Nikkie for Rosealie(?, i didn't spell that right did i?), I didn't like for Rosealie(?) either I pictured Rosealie(?) more pretty....again just my opinon

Everyone eles was good

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Contributor
Furschee
0 Kudos

I liked the Twilight series myself. I just wish some things that were in the book were put into the movie. Like when they talk about how the Cullens came to be. It would really help us understand why Rosalie is the way she is. I did wish they hadn't kept some things out of the movie. But for the most part I loved the movie and the entire series. Now I can't wait 'til New Moon comes out.