Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome Ellen Hopkins!

Totally agreed J.R.  Lol.  I screamed, literally screamed, at that part.  There might have been a few obscenities as well......
"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Kyleigh wrote:
Totally agreed J.R.  Lol.  I screamed, literally screamed, at that part.  There might have been a few obscenities as well......

I went back and re-read the end.

I almost screamed

lol

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Correspondent
EzoRycki
0 Kudos

Wow I can't believe your actually here, this is really a moment for me right now. I sadly have to say, the only book I read that you have published is Impulse. My friend recommended this book to me two weeks ago. I finished it quickly.

It's funny because I actually cried because of how much I can relate to this book. I have a friend who is gay, but sometimes, he actually doubts he is actually homosexual.

I had another friend who used to cut his self. I helped him out and as far as I know, he has stopped.

I also sadly have another friend who did commit suicide two years ago. So I could relate him to Connor, because they had similar problems and it brought back those memories.

When there are many opinions of a subject, it becomes a "fact".
~A quote by me~
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Sadly like EzoRycki

I have a few friends who cut....

I don't know what to do....

I've told them that they have to stop....

but I don't know if they have....

And I'm kind of worried about them....

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

I purposely left the ending of BURNED ambiguous, so readers could decide which way Pattyn goes. But FYI, suicide was never in my mind. Revenge was. Lots of requests for a sequel, and I have one in mind in case I ever decide to do it. But other readers like the ending like it is, and I've got lots of other stories I want to tell.
Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Never plannd sequels for any of the books, including CRANK. It's interesting that readers become so invested in these characters that they want more. I will only consider a sequel if I think it will be as good or better than the original. So maybe.
Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Teen suicide is such a travesty because your generation is our future. Often the reasons are not worth dying over, and if a person can just get through those "black moments," life gets better.

As for Tony, I quickly came to see him as "not gay" as I wrote him. Because of his past, all his sexual relationships were with men. Forced, early on. And his mother accused him of being gay as a little boy, or else why would her boyfriend rape him? He was very confused. Vanessa actually allowed him to understand himself. And love is love.

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Cutting generally signifies deeper problems in their lives. Trying to help them through those problems is the bests way to help.
Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

Ellen-Hopkins wrote:

Teen suicide is such a travesty because your generation is our future. Often the reasons are not worth dying over, and if a person can just get through those "black moments," life gets better.

As for Tony, I quickly came to see him as "not gay" as I wrote him. Because of his past, all his sexual relationships were with men. Forced, early on. And his mother accused him of being gay as a little boy, or else why would her boyfriend rape him? He was very confused. Vanessa actually allowed him to understand himself. And love is love.

Tony has to be one my favorite charactor ever!!!!

I felt really bad for him and his past.... :smileysad:

Jasper
~Eclipse~
Scribe
redheart52
0 Kudos

Ellen, i was wondering, how did you start your writing career? Did you send individual poems to magizines and if you did what magizines? I want to start getting my poems and writings published but im not sure where to start. Any advice?
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Hi, Ellen!!!! (Jeesh, I am so delayed!) Oh, my God, where to begin???

Well, first of all (and I know you probably get tired of hearing this, but...) I just want you to know that your books have inspired me so much, and if I'd never read "Crank" I probably would never have completed a book I'd been trying to write, so thank you so much!!!

Alas...questions, questions, questions! Why does Kristina keep making the choices she does (and crappy ones, at that)? Is the willpower to say "no" truly as difficult as Kristina makes it seem? What inspired you to write Identical? It was an amazingly compelling read that I'd love to read again and again, should I get my hands on a copy.

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

If you want to publish poetry, submit to literary magazines. There are some, online and print, that only publish teen writers. Once you're successful there, try submitting to university or regional literary magazines. There are many, many of them. Be sure to go online and get their submission guidelines, as many only accept during certain submission periods. It's a journey. You'll learn as you go. Enjoy the ride!
Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Meth is truly hard to turn your back on once you're hooked. It's a brain chemistry thing. The only way to feel "good" is when you're high because without the meth an addict's brain cannot manufacture dopamine (your natural high). Very few meth addicts can walk away without help. And they have to WANT help.

I think I addressed IDENTICAL here already. Look thru my earlier posts. And thanks for reading!

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Yes because DESPITE his awful past, Tony is resilient. And a truly good human being.
Wordsmith
shesaxsensation
0 Kudos

Hey Ellen!

First I just want to say, before I even got to Harry Potter and Twilight, I read your books. The topics you write about really fascinate me and I think it's great how it raises awareness.

I haven't gotten to your new novel, Tricks, yet. I've been reading a few reviews that say it's about teenage prositution. I will read it when I get the chance to go to the book store, but I have a quick question first. Is Tricks involving human trafficking? Or is it the free-will type of prostitution?

The reason why I'm asking is I feel that human trafficking and slavery is such a big deal and it would be great to raise awareness and maybe inspire people to volunteer and/or donate. I'm trying to think of ways to hold a fund-raiser for www.AbolishSlavery.com and I know if more teens (and adults) knew about what happens in these foreign countries and our own, they might want to help out more. Might I add that I know A LOT of teens that read your books, not just on this board either.

Sorry that I completely got off the subject of your book, but this has been on my mind a while since I saw what your book is about.

Oh, and while it is VERY hard to pick a favorite of your novels (not including 'flirtin with the monster' and 'tricks'), I think Identical may have to be my favorite. Burned comes in close second though! They're all fantastic books and I'm so happy to have read them :smileyhappy:

-Briana

"For almost ninety years I've walked among my kind, and yours...all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realizing what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet."

- Edward Cullen
Contributor
Felidae_Evol
0 Kudos

Hello, I love your books and writing styles. I am also glad you took time out of your day to come here because most authors  that are more known (and I actually like) tend to not do this sort of thing.

I do have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1. Did you get any college education?

2. Are all your books inspired/based on true stories of friends or family?

3. How hard was it to get your first book published with the poetry style?

4. Will you continue to write similar books that relates to psychological and drug use in your career or do you think you'll end up focusing on another subject after a while?

Thanks so much for visiting and answering our questions!

"My life is essentially a series of embarrassing incidents strung together by telling people about those embarrassing incidents." - Russell Brand
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Another question *WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD*: At the end of IDENTICAL, Kaeleigh discovers that she is Raeanne (gosh, I hope I spelt that right!) and Raeanne is Kaeleigh, but I'm confused. Did Kaeleigh have a personality disorder or something? And, if so, why wasn't it discovered until the end?

...Of course, it doesn't help that I haven't read IDENTICAL since the beginning of the school year, so...

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

TRICKS is not about trafficking, but it was a statistic that trafficking figures into that got me interested in the subject, and that is the average age of a female prostitute in this country is 12 years old. Sad, huh? Trafficking is a horrible issue and I might write about it one day, but didn't want to too closely on the heels of Patti McCormick's SOLD.

TRICKS is about five teens (three girls, two boys, one gay, one straight) from all different part of the country who turn to prostitution for very different reasons.

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

I studied journalism in college, but dropped out to get married and start a family. CRANK and GLASS (and FALLOUT, to come) are loosely based on my daughter's story of meth addiction. The others have threads of real people/situations, but are totally fiction.

I actually sold CRANK with only 75 pp written, and interested an editor with only 5 pp. Verse is a tougher sell, however. I just happen to be good at it! :smileywink:

The book I'll write after FALLOUT is PERFECT, about the drive to be perfect through surgery, self-regulated eating, extreme exercise, etc. So a little different. Will I ever write sappy romance? Probably not. Genre? Maybe. I always thought I'd be the next Stephen King, so you never know.

Author
Ellen-Hopkins
0 Kudos

Kaeleigh had dissociative identity disorder (DID or split personality). The disorder is generally associated with sexual or physical abuse in childhood. No one was really paying attention to her. Mother gone. Father gone, except when he took advantage of her. No real friends. Boyfriends only noticed the side of her that she presented.