Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

lookingforbooks32 wrote:

I am a teacher and I am currently teaching struggling readers in grades 9-12.  They hate reading and have no interest in books at all.  I am writing to ask if you could suggest some books that they may enjoy reading. 

For the boys that don't like to read but can read at an adult level (these are adult books) have them try to read Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.  They have probably all played the game and its a very action packed book.  I don't know if it would be appropriate as a book to read for school (maybe some sex... i don't remember its been since 9th grade since I read it) but could possibly turn them onto reading.  The whole Tom Clancy - John Clark/jack Ryan books are great and this could be the book to get them to read the rest of the books.

For the boys/girls that read at more of a highschool level I would suggest the Percy Jackson series especially if they have read Harry Potter previously.  Now personally I dont think these books are as good as Harry Potter (I grew up with Harry Potter and didn't read this series until college) but they are still fun books and easy reads.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

lookingforbooks32 wrote:

I am a teacher and I am currently teaching struggling readers in grades 9-12.  They hate reading and have no interest in books at all.  I am writing to ask if you could suggest some books that they may enjoy reading. 

Seeing as how I'm a girl I'm not really sure what would be best for the guys but a few of the books could be great for either a girl or guy. A lot of the books are a part of a series so for people who are having a hard time reading sometimes a series where the characters remain familiar is best for them.

Kissed by an Angel Trilogy (Kissed by an Angel Series)  The Truth about Forever  Just Listen  Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-7)  City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1)  The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)  Marked (House of Night Series #1)  Alanna  Wild Magic (The Immortals Series #1)  Terrier (Beka Cooper Series #1)  First Test (Protector of the Small Series #1)  Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic Series #1)  Magic Steps (Circle Opens Series #1)  Trickster's Choice (Daughters of the Lioness Series #1)  The Name of the Game Was Murder  The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants  Incarceron  The Maze Runner  When It Happens  Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys  

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Zoey, what do you think about the Maximum Ride Series? I'm probably gonna read em for school.

Right now I'm reading, The Captive, by L.J.Smith, not my favorite by her's, by still really great and suspenseful sorta(:

and I will probably start the 3rd Night World Series book soon. 

&I saw somebody talk about Alice in Wonderland, and I could never really get into the original one for some reason. Maybe when i tackle classics i might read it, but...

----------------------------------------------
Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird
0 Kudos

I liked them they were full of suspense and action and I really liked them you should read them for school. Ya I read the Captive also. Are you on the first or second book?

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Frequent Contributor
Jess25
0 Kudos

I am currently reading graceling a book that it seems everyone has read and I just got done with beastly it was really good

Inspired Contributor
liv4Him
0 Kudos

hush, hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. Read it before, loved it, saw it at the library again, and decided to read it once more. *loves*

Check out my blog at http://www.rinielsmusings.wordpress.com.
Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

Started reading Breaking Dawn. I read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. However, I didn't read the last book, so I am reading it now. Although, I have gotten some spoilers and kind of know what happens, but I want to read it for myself.

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
Distinguished Correspondent
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Message from Nam  

"He is bound to you,” said the Queen. “But does he love you?"
Inspired Correspondent
bookrooted
0 Kudos

Zoey-

the quote wont work for me at the moment Lol so;

Im glad to hear they were good(: will read em in a while...

Well, i finished the rest of the Captive yesterday, and started The Power also then, and finished it today in class :smileytongue: They were really great, i liked The Power the best

So i read both, technically all three, don't know why they split the second one in the new editions, and now i started the third volume of Night World

----------------------------------------------
New User
allyann
0 Kudos

best series ever!!!

Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2)  

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

Right now I am reading:

Dark Secrets 1

Dark Visions

Bad Girls Don't Die

So far all 3 of the books are amazing =) I think the best one so far is Dark Secrets. The mysteryies in the book totally blow me away. I never see it coming lol

Blog: http://booklover-bookchicks.blogspot.com/
ALN
Wordsmith
ALN
0 Kudos

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray,  and If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I just finished reading Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick,  Heartless by Sara Shephard, and Cut by Patricia McCormick.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. "
Cheyenne_Catina
0 Kudos

Cracked up to Be  

Frequent Contributor
WriterMom
0 Kudos

Jess25 wrote:

I am currently reading graceling a book that it seems everyone has read and I just got done with beastly it was really good

Jess25 I just read Graceling a few weeks ago. Planning to read Beastly soon. You should Read Fire it's not a sequel to Graceling but it's set in the area and one common character. It was an awsome book.

The Boondock Saints Pictures, Images and Photos
Frequent Contributor
WriterMom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Book of Shadows (Sweep Series #1)

I am currently reading a really good series. It's the sweep series there are 15 of them and I am on number 8. (can't find it anywhere).THey are quick reads but very exciting. If you've read them you'll know what I mean when I say Hunter is the **bleep** and in my mind he is gorgeous.

Contributor
Molly1218
0 Kudos

I just read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Unabridged).  I'm in 9th grade and I absolutely loved it. It does take more focus than most books because the un-modern wording can be difficult to get through in some parts of the book, but if you can devote time to reading it, it's very good.

It took me maybe five or six days at an hour a day to read.

I do think that girls will be more intrigued by and appreciative of the story simply because it is a love story.

I give the book 9.5/10 stars.

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

I just finished Dark Secrets 1: Legacy of Lies and Don't Tell. It was amazing and defiantly not disappointing. The book has two different stories about two girls that are stuck in the past and trying to fix the present before anything bad happens.

Legacy of Lies: Megan has to stay with the uptight grandmother she wants nothing to do with. She's determined to get through the visit without any drama, but when she falls into a twisted love traingle with potentially fatal consquences, Megan may be caught up in her family's legacy in more ways then she realizes.

Don't Tell: Lauren knows that by returning to the town where her mother drowned seven years ago, she'll be reviling one of her most haunting memories. When she arrives, she is propelled into a series of mysterious events that mimic the days leading up to her mother's death. Maybe her mother's drowning wasn't an accident after all and maybe Lauren is next.

And right now I am going to start reading:

Thirst No. 2

I did read the first book of this series and thought it was amazing.

Frequent Contributor
WriterMom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lexie

vamp, Thisrt 2 is the first book I didn't finish. Loved the first one but the second I found to be very slow and uninteresting. Hope it's better for you!!

Inspired Wordsmith
Morigami
0 Kudos

WriterMom wrote:

Lexie

vamp, Thisrt 2 is the first book I didn't finish. Loved the first one but the second I found to be very slow and uninteresting. Hope it's better for you!!

Thanx! =) I really hope it's good. I heard it's really sad at the end and I'm kinda still mad at SPOILER*** her becoming human, so maybe it will change. I'm only on chapter 5 but it's seems okay so far =P