Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

Re: What NOT to read

GCACheerldr14 wrote:
I liked City of Ember. I hated the rest of the series. i had to read it for school in 7th grade. It wasn't that bad in my opinion.

I agree with you Cheer. I really liked City of Ember, but when I read The People of Sparks, it didn't make as much sense to me.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Contributor
rstwilight08
0 Kudos

The one book i hated was Beating Heart. It was a really horrible and boring book.
Frequent Contributor
iamwhoyouthinkiam
0 Kudos

Ah...books I hated. This is where I excel.

The House of Night novels by P.C. Cast and her daughter. I couldn't stand it. I couldn't even get through the first one. It was all built around this girl accidentally seeing one student...doing another one a "favor."

So You Want To Be A Wizard by Diane Duane was pretty bad, too. Most of the time I had no idea what was going on.  

And (you're all going to hate me for this one) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I was obssessed with Harry Potter for years, my friends and I were going to go to college and major in "Harrypottercology." Then I read the last book. I absolutely hated the ending: how Harry died and Dumbledore reappeared and then Harry pouffed back to life. My suggestion? Read the first six then make up your own ending.
"Violent Hayes, I learned those moves from watching nature shows on television. Those are, in fact, the exact contortions a wildebeest manifests when it is being devoured alive by a pride of hungry lions."
(David Klass, You Don't Know Me)

I Am Who You Think I Am
Frequent Contributor
xDreamerx
0 Kudos

Ugh so i uaually finish books really quickly well THE VALLEY OF SECRETS was the slowest book ever i like barley finished it i was so bored it was an okay book but ti was just so slow it took me forever deff not recommended.
A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining
Frequent Contributor
sarah_sue15
0 Kudos

I really hated the Giver. It was so boring and i read it over like a 4 week time period because my teacher wouldnt let me finish it.
Reading is good for the soul.
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

read like half of it!!!!! HATED THAT HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~ we could be a beautiful, miracle, unbelievable,... instead of just invisible...~

"I'm not that complicated.
My complications come out in my songs. All you have to do to be my friend is like me...
...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

sucked eggs???!!!!lolololol haha ive never heard anyone say that!!:smileyvery-happy:
~ we could be a beautiful, miracle, unbelievable,... instead of just invisible...~

My complications come out in my songs. All you have to do to be my friend is like me...
...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

read that when i was in first grade!!! too easy.

...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? I LOVED, LOVED ,LOVED that book its one of my favorites!!!! it kind of goes along with chasing redbird. i DO recomend this book. you should give it a chnce if you havent read it!!!

...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

now thats messed up!!!!:smileymad:

...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Frequent Contributor
Twilightlover13
0 Kudos

i have to disagree. the giver is one of my favorite books. if you dont like it you should give it another chance the book have so much meaning if you look at it in a certain way.

...and listen."
-Taylor Swift
Contributor
Phoenix_feather
0 Kudos

Personlly, and this is just my opinion (not to pick a bone with anyone) but, everyone has different interests.  Just because one person doesn't like a book, doesn't mean that another person will feel the same way.  So I say read to your hearts content.
Books=Bliss
New User
GreenWyvern99
0 Kudos

Either Johhny Termain or To Kill a Mockingbird,  some of the worst books ever!!!
"A life without books is like a life with outta soul"
"Wear the old coat, buy a new book"
Frequent Contributor
IBreatheBooks
0 Kudos

Phoenix_feather wrote:
Personlly, and this is just my opinion (not to pick a bone with anyone) but, everyone has different interests. Just because one person doesn't like a book, doesn't mean that another person will feel the same way. So I say read to your hearts content.

That's what I say! Some people are gonna love it, others are gonna hate it. It's the way, of like everything. So read the books you want to, don't read the books you don't want to. Just READ!!!
'U know u've read a good book when u turn the last page and feel a little as if u have lost a friend.'--'The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame.'--'We shouldnt teach great books we should teach a love of reading.'--'Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings.'--'Book lovers will understand me, and they will know 2 that part of the pleasure of a library lies in its very existence'
New User
puddycatx3
0 Kudos

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty open minded when it comes to books. Or I'm decent at picking ones I will enjoy. Though I'm sorry...

Little Women
Eragon

Overrated. Boring and...terribly written.

Ha. I just insulted Eragon on a board swarming with fourteen yr olds! I'll - be - eaten - alive!
------------------------------------------------------------------

haha. i'm fourteen, and i love Eragon... but your right. Little Women was one of the most boring books i have ever read. It was kind of painful.

Another boring book was To Kill A Mockingbird. ahh. The Hound of the Baskervilles, by Sherlock Holmes, was completely tedious. Of Mice and Men wasn't bad though, you can read that and still retain complete functionality of your brain, I'm sure.

Frequent Contributor
IBreatheBooks
0 Kudos

I am another person who finds Eragon boring. I could NOT get into it, so I stopped. I am a fan of To Kill A Mockingbird though, it's pretty cool
'U know u've read a good book when u turn the last page and feel a little as if u have lost a friend.'--'The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame.'--'We shouldnt teach great books we should teach a love of reading.'--'Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings.'--'Book lovers will understand me, and they will know 2 that part of the pleasure of a library lies in its very existence'
Frequent Contributor
Bookzainey411
0 Kudos

I hated THE LOVELY BONES, by Alice Sebold. Has anyone else read it? It's really depressing.
I thought that LORD OF THE FLIES was good until the end....
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."
New User
smoke-and-mirrors
0 Kudos

do not read 7 habbits of highly effective teens it SUCKS, i had to read it for school and i now want to shoot the author
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
-woodyallen
Contributor
Tappin_Toes
0 Kudos

I love to read, and i'm pretty open-minded about what I read - I've read lots of different kinds of books - but I was forced to read Heart of Darkness in Advanced Reading and I REALLY didn't like it. It was so hard to understand, so I basically skimmed through it without learning anything about the plot and learned what it was about when we discussed it in class. It was boring and hard to understand and pretty gross - if you think shrunken heads, cannibalism and rotten hippo meat is gross. which i do. but that was a long time ok, so maybe if i read it now it would be easier to understand and possibly appreciate.
He was the poet while she was the muse...
Contributor
barefoot_countess
0 Kudos

I had to read Heart of Darkness myself, also for advanced reading. DIdn't like it much. The plot is interesting, but the way he goes about it seems a little extreme. Also had to read Crime and Punishment...didn't care for that either. And anyone may tell me it's about repentance or restitution or whatever...it's not. It's about getting rid of guilt...he never felt bad about what he did, just that he might get caught. I have several more but mostly think that in general it depends on who you are and how you read. Life experience is what makes you see what you do in books, ain't in grand!?