Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Wistful_Writer
0 Kudos

What book have you loved, but the movie ruined it?

Has that ever happened to you? Where the book is still awesome and all but the movie is just...terrible?  Or the book wasn't all that good, but the movie was amazing? 

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Re: What book have you loved, but the movie ruined it?

The Lord of the Rings books/movies.  I loved them so much growing up, read them several times each and I hated some of the casting as well as a lot of the changes that were made when they presented them as movies.  One was so bad I walked out of the theater.  I think the majority of people that really liked the movies never read the books. 

The Lord of the Rings Boxed Set (Lord of the Rings Trilogy Series)  

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Wistful_Writer
0 Kudos

I have heard many views of Lord of the Rings! Like how the movies are amazing but the books are too slow, or how the books are amazing and the movies are amazing. Sorry to hear you didn't like the movies. :smileysad:  I was just going to start up the Fellowship of the Rings, do you think  the book gets too boring or drawn out in some places? I've only seen parts of the movie, so I can't really post my opinion on that either, lol. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A Wrinkle in Time  

Oy.  I've loved this book all my life; read it for the first time as a little girl.  Have read it several times as an adult.  I laugh, I cry, I fall in love with the characters, my heart hurts for the little girl without her father (my father died when I was 16, so I identify with how she might feel) I grin like the Cheshire Cat when Meg saves the day.  

I was so excited to see the (recent) film available on Netflix.  Then I watched it.

It was awful.  Rather than being ethereal beings, Mrs Who, Mrs. Witch and Mrs. Whatsit are goofy carictures of children's imaginary friends.  The Happy Medium was a drag queen's interpretation of a Tibetan Monk.  The novel has existential and religious themes; the film had neither.

Not only was it a bad adaptation of the book, it was just a bad film.  

LOTR isn't true to the novels, but the films tell a good story (not exactly the real one), are expertly filmed and the acting was excellent, at least.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

I loved reading 

Dune by Frank Herbert. Absolutely loved it!  Ever since I saw the movie, which stunk, my memories of the book have been tainted. I still love the book, it just that every time I think of it I get a companion, cringe worthy memory of the movie. 

Contributor
Algonquins

Books... crazy amazing wonderful things :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
bobbles918

I agree with LOTR.

I guess I'm going to have to go with Twilight.  Twilight will always have a special place for me but I wish this series was never turned into movies!  I can't even understand how Stephenie Meyer could be ok with not only the screen play but with the acting! Horrible horrible horrible!!!! 

Harry Potter movies arent like the books but the acting is good & so is the story so I really don't mind wish I could say the same for the Twilight movies.  Maybe they should just stop turning books into movies

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
Distinguished Wordsmith
SaraMariaa
0 Kudos

I loved the books I Am Number Four and Twilight. The movies are okay but they left things out and some things didn't happen like they were supposed to. It pissed me off. I don't see why its so hard to do the movies like the books. 

“The books that help you the most are those which make you think the most.”
Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

SaraMariaa wrote:

I loved the books I Am Number Four and Twilight. The movies are okay but they left things out and some things didn't happen like they were supposed to. It pissed me off. I don't see why its so hard to do the movies like the books. 

Actually, I'm hoping they change Breaking Dawn. That book totally let me down with a big build-up to no climax and p*ssed me off with its anti-abortion message and melodramatic crap about a girl who should have handled it differently rather than becoming a maternal martyr!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

Definetely the Harry Potter series. Very many things have been left out or changed.

Harry Potter Paperback Boxed Set (Books 1-7)  

Bibliophile
ZoeyRedbird

I'm not going to say a specific book or movie.. but one thing I hate when books are turned into movies is I forget how I imagine the characters!! Because most of the time the people they cast are completely different then how I imagine them!!

"You have to dream before your dreams can come true."
Abdul Kalam
"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
Robert H. Schuller

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21

I hope they don't mess up The Hunger Games movie. But of course they will.

Contributor
Obxgirl7
0 Kudos

I loved the twilight series at one point like, most people. I felt that the movie ruined it completely. The movies got better, but i really lost interest because the first movie was such a dudder. :smileysad: srry twilight fans!

bobbles918

SaraMariaa wrote:

I thought I Am Number Four was just ok.  I havent seen the movie & am in no hurry but I don't think I'll mind if it is different from the book.  I also don't understand why it is so hard to make movies like the books.  Or why authors are even ok with their books being butchered!  I'm just hoping the Hunger Games & Mortal Instument movies don't dissapoint-I'll have to go in with lowered expectations

"A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"-Mark Twain
BB8
New User
BB8

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews!!

Contributor
crazyladyteacher
0 Kudos

I read the books AND loved the movies!

Contributor
crazyladyteacher
0 Kudos

Oops! That was in response to The Lord of the Rings.

bobbles918
0 Kudos

BB8 wrote:

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews!!

Yes!!!!!  I watched the movie when I was really young & when I read the book in high school I was shocked with how different the 2 are.  I think this is the best answer so far!

Contributor
steelersgirl43

That is definitely one that I am worried about. I have pictures of what Katniss and all the characters look like and I'm afraid that watching them from someone else's perspective will ruin mine :smileymad:

Contributor
sandiegno
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i agree wasent eager to read the  i am number 4 book but i did because the movie was coming out .. well book was ok finishd it fairly quickly and sat and waited for the movie.. well the movie sucked!!! compaired to the book   they used only like 10% of the act. book in the movie!!

sandiegno